Ouch- 7000 Baht Cambodian Overstay

I have a triple entry tourist visa. I made my second entry in Chomphon (sp)- a border crossing near Surin/Sangkha. I went shopping with the missus for the day, and when we re-entered, apparently I forgot to check out of Cambodia. I had paid the same day exit fee already, so i thought i was square. The thai border folks didn't notice.

Anyhow, been here 3 months (2 months tourist visa + 30 day extension), then went today to use the final entry on my visa. The visa-runner guys said since I didn't stamp out of Cambodia (even tho I had the thai re-entry stuff all in order) and they recommended that I not enter Cambodia but instead go get a new passport. <deleted>. I said I'll just pay the overstay so I had to pay overstay for 2 months, $200 US. Does this sound right? A mistake I'll never make again, I assure you, but ouch, 7000 baht. I tried in vain to explain i didn't actually overstay in cambodia since you can see my thai re-entry stamp the same day, but even when i began I knew I was spitting in the wind.