Question Regarding Internet Provider In Chiang Mai Cat Telecom

wheresdavid

hello,

I am thinking of coming back to Chaing mai and i will need a "fast" reliable internet connection. is anyone using cat telecom company in chiang mai? i did a speed test and it said that cat's speed is 4200kb/s and true telecom is 2500 kb/s.

is anyone using cat in chiang mai? if so could you run a speed test and let me know your download / upload speed please. you can run one at www.smugmug.speedtest.net also is the service reliable? and finally how much does it cost per month?

i appreciate your help.

cheers,

Dave

Dave, I think about a year ago CAT was offering 2,800 baht for the 2MB speed... and they said it would be good.

I currently have HiNet... a combo of TT&T and CAT. It is 1,060 or so for "2MB"... and I do get that (1,750up and about 450 down to Chicago) most every morning before 8-9:00. Then it's downhill from there on.

I think both CAT and TT&T love the HiNet... it works great for them because if I have a problem then it's always the other companies' fault.

Of course how your service is and what's available depends upon where you live... and personally I would pay to have ADSL hooked up and then test it before committing to a place unless I could find neighbor who already had it and could 'prove' it worked well.

Good luck,

M

I like CAT better than the two other providers I also have (TOT and TT&T).

The only problem atm. seems to be a local issue where I cannot connect to Google sites for some weird reason.

This has been acknowledged by CAT now and they are trying to resolve the problem.

I currently have HiNet... a combo of TT&T and CAT

Unfortunately on the TT&T line CAT only gives the basic home package with a high sharing ratio (and relative low price).

If you have a CAT line into your house you can go for the premium package (currently 2020 Baht/month for 2M/1M, just came down from 2800 something/month).

Whole different ballgame, less cabling and less hops to the gateway, less sharing, resulting in speeds stable throughout the day!

Probably some marketing decision not to allow the premium packages over a TT&T line :o

I like CAT better than the two other providers I also have (TOT and TT&T).

The only problem atm. seems to be a local issue where I cannot connect to Google sites for some weird reason.

This has been acknowledged by CAT now and they are trying to resolve the problem.

Ah, great news. :o

Was going mad here over the no Google issue but just couldn't bring myself to ring up the sad excuses for support people at TT&T "customer support" again.

• 7 months later...

What are the current options for Internet Service Providers in Chiang Mai?

An overview of what's available and from which providers would be great, if someone is able to provide one or one can be pieced together from what individuals know.

Also, would be good to hear personal reports of which service you have, your rough location, and whether your connection is excellent/good/fair/lousy ...

Have inherited TOT adsl in Amphur Muang and it's absolutely woeful at present.

Edited by Lami

• 2 months later...

Hi we are living in Parbong Sarapee, we only can connect to TOT :-(.

I'm very unhappy I/m maybe 3 km away from the server but always problems, especially in the weekends.

I pay for 4MB but receive lots of times less than 1MB.

They have checked the line etc and are telling everything is working ok.

They show me they have 4MB on their appliance but I almost cant do a speed test so slow.

I have changed the contract a while ago to business for what I was paying a lot of money so that I could see TV from Europe.

They told me that that would solve the problem, so that was not true.

Somethimes I'm thinking to buy an Iphone 3G connect it to my laptop and work on that way.

If someone has a good solution for my problem than let me know.

I dont mind to work with a Dish or other provider but as example Maxnet is not here so cant connect with them,

With Maxnet I could see TV from Europe.

Eln

• 2 months later...
...With Maxnet I could see TV from Europe.

Eln

Not a chance!

Oh yes, easily!!! Just don't buy the THB 590 package from MaxNet. THAT one is slow and cr*p and keeps every cheap foreigner whining.....

You get what you pay for! Pay the double rate and internet is fast, stat.

:D:D:)

Eln

Not a chance!

Oh yes, easily!!! Just don't buy the THB 590 package from MaxNet. THAT one is slow and cr*p and keeps every cheap foreigner whining.....

Care to expand on your statement hugehog

Sure :)

TT&T has a "special" package for foreigners which costs THB 1090 per month.

Not getting technical (networking is my game): the THB 590 for 3mb is for "Thai internet".

The THB 1090 package 3mb is for "international internet".

Ask for it at TT&T at airport plaza. They have a separate list, if you ask for it, for "farang internet". (which is better CoS and QoS (google this))

It's fast and so far reliable.

If you want to know more about the techinical side, please pm.

I might respond a bit slow atm, since I am in Europe for some business but will be back in Chiang Mai soon!

Sure :D

Not getting technical (networking is my game): the THB 590 for 3mb is for "Thai internet".

Ask for it at TT&T at airport plaza. They have a separate list, if you ask for it, for "farang internet". (which is better CoS and QoS (google this))

I might respond a bit slow atm, since I am in Europe for some business but will be back in Chiang Mai soon!

Will wait til you get back.....

with knowing all that teckkie stuff, why did you spend all that money on the flight,...... you coulda tele-conferenced like Obama and Abhisit....

:)

That and your original post are not necessarily correct. It all depends where in the CM area you live. I had terrible experience with the 590b package and quickly switched to the 1090b plan which was much faster, almost as fast as my True connection. But I have friends who live south of town (Canal Rd near Hang Dong) who have no problem with MaxNet's 590b plan there. It is much faster where they are. So don't rush out to get the 1090 plan. try the 590 plan first. You can always upgrade but they won't let you downgrade.

Eln

Not a chance!

Welcome to Thailand.

El Jefe,

Still their CoS and QoS would be lower then mine. That brings me to the following:

most people think that megbit per second is the only measurement of speed, but as you obviously know, that is incorrect.

Simple example: I drive a 400 kph capable car (i.e. Bugatti Veyron) but can only drive it on a dirt track...... = SLOW

I drive a BMW 3xx series on the German Autobahn....... = FAST

The Bugatti is a WAY faster car(mbit/sec), but the road is bad (road = internet line) so it's still slow. And then you have a better CoS/QoS which would give your 100-year old VW beetle sirens and lights, which will give you priority over the roads... (well I can go on like that)

And yes, this is still a simplification of how IP/UDP traffic works but hey, that's why I said... pm me for tech stuff, this is not a forum for such discussions.

is the contention ratio different? How can you tell if your on the farang plan already? Does it traceroute thru different routers?

If someone said they upgraded to Farang super snail and you wanted to check then how could you verify it? command line is fine.

It's okay to talk a little tech in here.

The normal whiners are in other forums chatting about the smell of rats and quality of hamburger restaurants.

is the contention ratio different? How can you tell if your on the farang plan already? Does it traceroute thru different routers?

If someone said they upgraded to Farang super snail and you wanted to check then how could you verify it? command line is fine.

The normal whiners are in other forums chatting about the smell of rats and quality of hamburger restaurants.

haha, CSN. some of us whiners (of the non techie type) jump back n forth between threads.

arh, nice simplified post wehugheog, i could understand that.

That and your original post are not necessarily correct. It all depends where in the CM area you live. I had terrible experience with the 590b package and quickly switched to the 1090b plan which was much faster, almost as fast as my True connection. But I have friends who live south of town (Canal Rd near Hang Dong) who have no problem with MaxNet's 590b plan there. It is much faster where they are. So don't rush out to get the 1090 plan. try the 590 plan first. You can always upgrade but they won't let you downgrade.

At their suggestion, I upgraded from TT&Ts Indy which was slow and disconnected several times an hour and sometimes several times a minute, to Premier which was faster but still disconnected with monotonous regularity.

I canceled after long and painful attempts to find out what was wrong failed and switched to TOTs 3meg which was fine for the first few weeks - fair speed and very few disconnections. BUT for the last three to four weeks it has ground to an agonising 0.5 megs except between 4 and 7am when it flies.  Great for insomniacs.

Don't bother to call the "Help Line" they will tell you that the moon is made of green cheese if they think it will get rid of you, just despair and soldier on or try CAT or AIT which according to OPs is hardly the speed of light but at least is does work.

CAT are installing cable service for me this week so I will keep you posted as to how it goes.

Yes they can be different, the less the more you pay. No, not by logging into you modem, ask ISP (internet provider tot or tt&t or so). No traceroute should be same, but differs all the time. You don;t go through different routers, the routers (traffic lights) treat your traffic differently (put signals for your 'car" on green faster).

Verifying is trying. don't do a speedtest within Thailand, use speedtest.net (I think, or google speedtest) and use a outside thailand server to do the test on, that should give you an idea on the "international" part of the internet.

Hey, I like ratburgers! :):D

Hi wehugheog,

How long have you been with TT&T?

I'm not sure why no reply but I'll clarify why I'm asking. We've been discussing the poor internet sevice here in Chiang Mai on this forum for years now. Most everyone started with pretty good speeds and speed deteriorated over time, usually significantly. We've had the "Indy" versus "Premier" debate and most who had Indy switched to Premier. Many have switched back as Premier was no better. So, I'm trying to establish if you're getting the normal "new guy" speed or if you are getting a different service than everyone else.

I have TT&T Premier and TOT Cyber Gold. Lately the TT&T service has been the best of the two, but that isn't always the case. It's rare that they're both crap (crappier than usual that is) at the same time, but that happens too sometimes. Thanks for your reply.

Edited by lannarebirth

not all the routers sold for example at IT world are compatible with Maxnet. I seem to recall some of the cheaper ones will not work. Might want to first verify that the model will work.

Then print out your config parameters and router model etc and post for advice. The internet tech forum is probably better than CM however.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Anyone know how to configure a wireless router for the 3BB connection? No luck and no service.

did you try ringing 1103? when i bought a wireless modem, i rung tt&t, the call centre didnt know but took my number and got a techie to ring me, 10 mins later the techie rung and walked me thru the set up process. that was a few years ago thou, theyve had a major strife in tt&t company recently so they probably have had some staffing issues

I have both TOT Diamond Cyber and Maxnet Premier 2mb. There is no comparison as to which is better - it is Maxnet Premier.

Ive had Maxnet for around 3 months, had good speeds and not a single disconnection. I do live very close to the DSLAM though which helps. On the other hand TOT disconnects constantly and is much slower. Before i switched to premier i tried indy and i can assure you Premier is much better.

just got back from 3BB office; a helpful techie got onto the router company for me and did a total reconfig - they said take it home and try.... which I did, but no luck; called router company again myself and did it all again, still no cigar, they said cant help more than the have; so maybe DB is right and I need a new router? Thats three in as many companies...

• 2 weeks later...

Out of sheer frustration with TT&T Maxnet - not really the service, which even with my remote location in the far North and having the cheapie 590B plan WAS quite satisfactory for my needs - but because of the sheer and frequent dishonesty of the company in dealing with problems, I have decided to shift camp if I can find a OK alternative.

TT&T always used my distance from their nearest "box" (5.8 km) as their bureaucratic excuse, although this was clearly not the problem in most instances when an issue arose. I don't want the new company to have this excuse, so I'm considering switching to CAT's 3G CDMA service.

CAT are offering a nominal 3.1 mpbs service via the nearest mobile tower for 845B pm after purchase of a suitable modem. (To their credit they are admitting that I can realistically only expect 2 to 1.5 mpbs but this speed is perfectly OK for me.)

My questions are:

1. What are others' experiences with this service? Does it perform well for normal home requirements?

2. Do I have to buy the modem CAT are offering (EC226 for 6500B) or if not, what is a good alternative one. (I would most definitely prefer to NOT buy the ISP offered one because of bad experiences in the past (TT&T again!).)

Eln

Not a chance!

I'm on MaxNet via TT&T and it's certainly fast enough to watch stuff such as BBC iPlayer. It's also perfect for Youtube and Skype (with Vid). I have the 4M package which I think is costing about 1200Bht/month. My previous provider was TOT and the speed was highly variable and sometimes a dead line for days. I think it is a truism "You get what you pay for"...