The big thai computer sale

flackjacket

So the big drive to make Thais computer owners at low cost is under way. That means many more people will want to be on the internet, especially out in the sticks. Problem number one, how are they going to do this given the poor state of local servers, especially in N.E.Thailand. Does anyone have the magic answer for this. Is it a case of putting the cart before the horse?

Seems a might bit fishy that some one authorized the sales of computers with no floppy disk or CD ROM for the input software or data.  Yes, and the infrastructure for internet access, ie phone lines, isp service and the cost to the individual family to be connected seem to have been over looked also.   Yo, while PC's are not complicated or intimidaiting to us that are used to them (well most of the time), that might be a whole different story for many.  Just had to tose in my 20 bht worth.  :o

hello'

I was pretty surprised by the government offer, and with my favorite OS on, Linux ...

then, I thought, for this price what kind of sh.. are they goig to give ?

crap!

old celeron, old style ram, 14" screen ...

lucky they give a keyboard ... no sound card for sure, and the same about video card for sure too, everything onboard

and no floppy, no cd !?

this is the government politic !

and like it has been said, what about, Esarn ?

how can people get onto internet when there is no phone line ?

I left the quiet village where I was living in Esarn because it took really too long

to get a phone line, and even asking for a "special" one,

until now, no news, it's been 4 years :o

here we are, good will but poor actions, result : people might

think that no one cares about them ... not any government !

this is a pity ...

and even in the case, that this would have been successful,

who would help those people with an OS like Linux ... ??

so, back to any shop ... format and install of a pirate version

of any windows, because the kids want to play game !

but, it could have been wise to launch this but not this way.

anyway, good luck to those who buy these machines ...

francois

lucky they give a keyboard ... no sound card for sure, and the same about video card for sure too, everything onboard

and no floppy, no cd !?

Not completly true.  The desktop has a 52x CD drive AFAIK.  Only the laptop has no input device.

and no floppy, no cd !?

Not completly true.  The desktop has a 52x CD drive AFAIK.  Only the laptop has no input device.

well, the whole offer is in my opinion to get rid of old defunct hardware and the only ones silly enough to buy this junk are Thais... I wouldnt Buy a Belta at half that price...  Laser the same, all cheapo all on board motherboards from Taiwan from same manufacturer and guarantee... wanted me to pay 1200 baht on a laser board where the capacitors had popped open due to wrong electrolyte being used... And that with supposedly 5 years waranty. Belta, same problem said changed battery ettc etc, cappacitors still there. Now sending it back with printout of the internet article so it helps them to see whats wrong.  

Anyway, customers machines and they already had been replaced with ASUS boards. Same problem, 2 weeks have new one...