What Type Of Hotel Do You Prefer?

LindsayBKK

I have a few questions relating to styles of Hotel you guys & gals look for when visiting Thailand,

and look forward to your comments. I will keep it short and sweet.

What do you look for most in a Hotel , price? location? cleanliness? style? friendly staff?

& some of you I am sure will say "all of the above".

If a Hotel was situated Ratchathewi close to BTS Station what would

it need to have to attract your interest. I will list a few types that are on the list of options.

1. Formula1 Hotel style : Budget rooms, no breakfast, same bed & Bathroom configuration

(double + single bunk bed) with Bathroom (Toilet / Shower Capsule)

I have not seen F1 Hotel in Thailand thus far.

If you know of any similar to this chain in Thailand, more so Bangkok , please let me know.

Also looking for a Manfacturer for the Bathrooms. (I am thinking a Boatbuilder would be better

for doing the Bathrooms with all the polyester and Fibreglassing).

2. Boutique Hotel : Each room in a different decor , fashioned colour or trendy theme.

This Hotel type is becoming more popular but with some of them

10-15,000bht per night I am not sure people want to pay that much for a bed especially there being

so many Hotels in Bangkok.

3. Capsule Hotel (Japanese Style) I don't think Thailand needs them or am I wrong?

or do you just prefer a normal Hotel?

4. Oh There is another option just to have normal condo serviced apartments so I guess begs the question

what do Hotels offer that a serviced apartment doesn't have? If they were both the same price which would

prefer?

I thankyou for your words in advance

When I look for a Bangkok hotel my first priority is proximity to the Skytrain or Underground. I prefer standard 3 or 4 star hotels. It doesn’t matter how far it’s out of town. I then reduce that to hotels in a price range and read reviews. As long as it’s clean, with good breakfasts and friendly I’ll try them. One of my favourites is out on Ratchathewi.

Depending on why I’m in Bangkok and time is not critical I’ll look for a boutique hotel out of the way a bit with basic but clean rooms in the lower price range, somewhere to chill out without the hustle and bustle of the main tourist areas. I’ve found boutique hotels in the 1,500 range offer free wifi in the rooms with friendly helpful staff and usually a 10 minute walk to the skytrain.

Something basic, clean, a few minutes from Swampy and low priced would be nice for times when I have a few hours between flights and need to catch some shuteye and freshen up. It seems to be popular request on the forums.

In tourist places I look for closeness to beaches or attractions, price, cleanliness and read the reviews on staff friendliness etc.

Upcountry I’m usually driving and prefer country resorts to hotels.

When conducting your study and evaluating your results, please keep in mind the following demographics of TV members...

1. 70 percent are male (or portions there of)

2. 50 percent have been here a year or more (you can draw your own conclusions as to what this means)

3. 30 percent are cohabitationg with a local (not sure who pays the rent in these relationships)

4. 20 percent speak a bit of the language fluently :D

5. 10 percent think 5 star refers to a bar there were once in.

6. 05 percent are actually employed with work permits (the other 95 just have work permits)

Yes I know, these are exactly the kind of in-depth stats you will find on any sales brochure on here but should help in determining the validity of your study on hotel preferences.

You are welcome. Really, no need to thank me. :o

Personally,I would like to see a niche market for "Family hotels" similar to SOL in the Mediterrrean.

With a child's club every alternate day & and entertainment programme for the whole family also on alternate nights.

Well that's my view ,if ypu wish to increase families ,who don't have to go out every night

With BKKJames' comments in mind...

.......styles of Hotel you guys & gals look for when visiting Thailand,

and look forward to your comments. I will keep it short and sweet.

Surely this depends on you intended customer, and that is down to location - which you seem to already have in mind.

What do you look for most in a Hotel , price? location? cleanliness? style? friendly staff? & some of you I am sure will say "all of the above".
Free of bugs, staff that can communicate - use pre-printed cards in a few languages with common FAQ type responses, location of embassies, McDonalds, BTS etc.
If a Hotel was situated Ratchathewi close to BTS Station what would it need to have to attract your interest. I will list a few types that are on the list of options.
Do you provide parking? In which case you cut out those of us that drive everywhere in Thailand. If you are aiming at tourists spending some time in BKK then catering is something that you should address - people expect food, B&B, evening meal? If not then perhaps Hotel is not the right word and guest house is really what you are looking at providing.

Guest house needs to be cheap as there are so many to choose from.

Look at your location - compare rates with similar in the area - consider how you will be selling rooms - that will dictate who stays with you - and that will dictate how you market your product.

If you want to cover both sides of the market have better rooms for long stay, and very basic rooms for those staying overnight. Discount late check-in early departure will attract those doing one night stops prior to airport departures. If you can tie-up a deal with a trust-worthy taxi driver/company for a one-price deal it would be a marketing angle of use until the BTS to the airport is in place.

Personally I live 90 minutes from the airport and can't think of a reason that I would want to stay in BKK, last time I did was 4-5 years ago at The Royal President, Sukhm Soi 15.

Cheap, basic and clean with good A/C.

City lodge Sukhumvit soi 9 is good, have good deals for 3 night stays, A/C is great and perfect location.

Slightly out of the city I would like to see a low-rise motel with plenty of parking and a swimming pool (Just like the many they have in the USA) or are there already some and I just haven't seen any?

Slightly out of the city I would like to see a low-rise motel with plenty of parking and a swimming pool (Just like the many they have in the USA) or are there already some and I just haven't seen any?
They do exist, but generally without a swimming pool - and the car parking is just outside the door of your room with a thick plastic curtain that is drawn across the entrance to ensure some privacy. I am of course refering to the short time 'love' motels that can be found on the outsklirts of many towns & cities. I have used these when taking long trips up/down the country, clean, cheap with some food service, although we often have 'our' blankets with us. Once I checked in alone and was asked, "...you no have lady? - want one?" - they do provide all services.

Why can't you mix the F1 style & Boutique? That would be unique and would work for the mid 20's to 40's traveler. It would be a hotel option that is unique in Bkk and would probably work.

There are quite a lot of people I have met her that want a quality room and a unique sense of Thai style in their rooms at a reasonable price. Most travelers to Bkk aren't spending much time in their rooms. Well, I digress...

Car parking

Near to MRT/BTS (if in Bangkok)

Double bed that is not rock solid.

Decent breakfast and good coffee.

Actually my 3 favourite hotels, (in Bangkok, Jomtien & Pattaya). Are all boutique hotels. I don't care that all the rooms are different as i only stay in one at a time.