Test Driving A Car Before Buying It?

Digitalbanana

I admit I am not too knowledgeable about this. To me it seems reasonable that a car should be test driven before it is purchased? Is this still true in the real world and if so is it ever allowed in Thailand? My father always test drove his planned purchases back in Europe many years ago. A few years back I was involved in buying a brand new Toyota in Thailand. The salesman said I could drive it after I paid for it and only sit in it beforehand! As it turned out if was a great buy, but had it not turned out as expected I would have stuck with it!

A new car, I wouldn't be bothered to drive the exact vehicle that I was buying. For example, if I was buying a Honda Jazz and was not familiar with it, I would be more likely to go to a rental agency and rent that model.

Why?

1) You can drive the car for a couple of days, without some sales critter riding along with you spewing BS.

2) You can drive a model with some miles on it, to get an idea how it will "age".

For a used car, it is clear-cut, at least for me... if I cannot do an extended test drive, I am not buying it.

A new car, I wouldn't be bothered to drive the exact vehicle that I was buying. For example, if I was buying a Honda Jazz and was not familiar with it, I would be more likely to go to a rental agency and rent that model.

Why?

1) You can drive the car for a couple of days, without some sales critter riding along with you spewing BS.

2) You can drive a model with some miles on it, to get an idea how it will "age".

For a used car, it is clear-cut, at least for me... if I cannot do an extended test drive, I am not buying it.

The problem is: Who gonna pay if have accident on a test drive? Dealers aren't insured in this case.

Why?

The problem is: Who gonna pay if have accident on a test drive? Dealers aren't insured in this case.

I do not know the answer to that one. Do you know that to be the case for sure?

If that is the case, then I guess I will never buy a used car from a dealer here.

Would you buy a used car without a test drive?

To the OP: On your related story of buying a new car with the test drive...if it had turned out to be junk, you would have recourse...that is what warranty is for. Stories of one particular unit coming from the factory being a lemon are not so common these days, build quality and QC/QA has improved greatly over the years.

New car dealers are not likely to allow you to take a drive in a new car. BUT, they will normally have a demonstrator of the same model for you to test drive. When I buy a new vehicle I want it to be new and not having been on many test drives.

As far as test driving a used car, it would be totally beyond reason if you could NOT drive it. If I were interested in a used car and I could not drive it, I'd be moving along to the next used car dealer very quickly.

Why do i see all these dealer vehicles with "TEST DRIVE" plastered down both sides is it a windup?

Windup ?? That's why they have test drive vehicles. They DON'T want you driving the new cars. After many test drives the new cars are no longer new. At the end of the year you can normally get a substantial discount on the test drive cars and trucks.

Why do i see all these dealer vehicles with "TEST DRIVE" plastered down both sides is it a windup?

Windup ?? That's why they have test drive vehicles. They DON'T want you driving the new cars. After many test drives the new cars are no longer new. At the end of the year you can normally get a substantial discount on the test drive cars and trucks.

Yes, that is the idea behind what we call a "demonstrator" in USA. The dealer typically gets some sort of financial assistance from the factory to let a vehicle be used in this manner, then sold as a used vehicle at the end of the model year.

It goes back to what I said before...if I am buying a brand-new vehicle, with 10 km on the clock, I do not need to drive that exact vehicle. But if I am not familiar with that model, I might want to drive one like it.

Windup it seems to be working, the origional OP cant even remember exactly how many years ago the test drive was refused 3/5/10 ?. There has not been one reply from anybody saying that they could not test drive a model they wanted to buy only, drivel on something that could have happened in the previous century!.

In my opinion you get a much better threat in a honda showroom than in a toyota showroom!

A better threat?! How would you define that? Something like, "buy the car or the beautiful sales lady will grab you buy the nuts and squeeze until your eyes water". That sort of thing?

Why?

Total sense, mgjackson!

The problem re paying for an accident during a test drive? That problem is the dealers dam problem and if he is not prepared to take that risk I am not prepared to give him my money.

Can we all stop being wimps around here? The baht talks or the client walks.

I have helped several friends purchase used cars in Chiang Mai and bought 2 myself. In each case we made it clear that we were only interested if he or I DROVE it. By 'Testride', I hope another poster means test DRIVE. Riding alongside the salesman tells you nothing.

In all cases the 'test drive' was very short, just around 3 or 4 blocks, with the salesman in the front passenger seat and the fuel gauge on empty. But you can learn a lot in 3 blocks-worth, especially if the roads are quiet. Try a couple of emegency stops (tell the salesman first!!), one with hands momentarily off the wheel to see if the thing pulls up in a straight line. With the handbrake firmly on, try to make a start and listen for painful 'clunking' in a worn transmission. And slap the man's hand if he tries to release the brake.

With a brand new model - rent one for a day or so first. Excellent advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Done dozens of test drive in both new and used cars. Never been a problem. Unlike the hype you get from the US and European salesmen, the Thai just shuts up and lets you get on with the driving. You'll want to know how the car handles at speed, and you won't be able to check that in turns toung a city bloc. You'll need to get out onto the highway. Again, never been a problem.

Never buy a new car that has more than 10 clicks on the clock. Be patient and order one they don't have in stock. It will be there in 72 hours.

I bought a new Vigo 3 1/2 years ago. Took the demonstrator for a quite long test run. Got it on the fast bit of road near the showroom and did several overtakes to see what the acceleration was like also handling, braking etc. Not a peep from the showroom girl although she might have been having a brown trousers moment after the braking test.

Cant believe any showroom would not let you out in a demo model. If they do, just ask for the manager.

Do you include yourself in that statement about dealers? (you being a dealer yourself)

Yes, correct! im a dealer on Sukhumvit Road (very busy). If its a expensive car, i let my customers testdrive only in the morning, not in the busy late afternoon traffic. As i sayd: in case of accident customer is responsible, because there is no insurance on the cars exept the complostery one. Accidents happen always in Thailand. In Thailand there are no "Dealer Plates" like in the western countries. Lets think if you would be in the dealers situation: for example, if you have a 800'000 Baht car, which isn't yours (belongs to somone else who parked in consignation), would you taske the risk to pay it for, if another customer testdrive and make a accident? And beleve me if it's a fancy car, like a Porsche or a Trans Am, you will have "testdrivers" everyday, without buying.

• 1 month later...

hi,

most of car dealer give you the option to test drive cars if you insist on it and have someone speak Thai with you.

they have insurance for there employees so its probably will cover you as well.

i think its tasteless if you try to drive in bangkok as its flat area and its hard to know what is the car condition.

you should use car inspection that exist this days in Thailand.

in nay case a test drive can give you some feelings on the car before you buy it, so i will do one if i can even if its hard to drive here.

Cheers,

hi,

most of car dealer give you the option to test drive cars if you insist on it and have someone speak Thai with you.

they have insurance for there employees so its probably will cover you as well.

i think its tasteless if you try to drive in bangkok as its flat area and its hard to know what is the car condition.

you should use car inspection that exist this days in Thailand.

in nay case a test drive can give you some feelings on the car before you buy it, so i will do one if i can even if its hard to drive here.

Cheers,

USED CAR tents: The emloyers are minimal insured by the social security if the dealer has a registered company. wich is mostly not the case ,with used car tents. So no isurance at all for any emplayers and of corse not for the customer who testdrive a car. ONE thing is not isured at all is: THE CAR. If the testdriver have a accident with the car he have the responsibility and he is on his own.