Marriage Visa

Hi,

Have to be making the marriage visa trip to Suan Plu in the next few days, but wife is out of town on "family duty business". My question then is simple:

Does she have to be present, or if I have all the relevant documentation, would that be sufficient to go by myself?

Any info much appreciated. Thanks.

W.

I will assume that you are talking about an "Extension of Stay based on Marriage", not a "visa".

I am not sure if it is a absolute requirement or not, but your wife needs to go with you...the nice people at Immigration quite likely will want to talk to her.

And do you not want a Thai-speaking person with you, whom you can trust, when negotiating the labyrinth that is Suan Phlu?

Seems like this "family duty business" should have priority, for that day anyway.

Up to you...

Thanks for the reply.

I speak Thai, so not so worried about that bit + I have have had 8 previous yearly extensions based on marriage status.

My wife can come back if she has to, but if it was possible to do it alone, it would be infinitely easier (her sister upcountry is undergoing a very troublesome pregnancy and my wife is really the only one that can give her the help that she needs right now).

I think I'll head down there and give it a go, and if i can't get it sorted, then we do what needs to be done I guess.

Thanks again.

W.

I agree that she has to be with you, but like everything else in Thailand the immigration officer has a very large amount of discretion.

If you were going to give it a try I would try and get a letter from your wife's sister's doctor and another from your wife explaining the situation.

Be very polite and give your best puppy dog eyes and ask if there is anything that can be done.

May work may not, I guessing it would be upto the immigration officer interviewing you.