How Much Time Should I Give Myself For Changing Flights?

popmybubble

I've been to Bangkok once flying with Emirates. Pretty straightforward changed flights at Dubai with a 3 hour period between.

I'm going to Chiang Mai and I just wondered what would be sufficient time in changing flights when I get to Bangkok and vice versa coming back from Chiang Mai?

Is 2 hours generally enough time from getting to Bangkok and getting flight back to London?

I've been to Bangkok once flying with Emirates. Pretty straightforward changed flights at Dubai with a 3 hour period between.

I'm going to Chiang Mai and I just wondered what would be sufficient time in changing flights when I get to Bangkok and vice versa coming back from Chiang Mai?

Is 2 hours generally enough time from getting to Bangkok and getting flight back to London?

You could probably do it, but I think I'd be a bit stressed..

You could probably do it, but I think I'd be a bit stressed..

Yes I think I will be... there's another flight which gives me 5 hours inbetween, that's probably better.

What about getting the flight to Chiang Mai from Bangkok? Is 1 hour 45 minutes long enough? I was thinking it might be quite quick with it being an internal flight.

Need more detail. Who is operating the flight BKK-CNX? Any checked bags?

Most recommend a MCT ( minimum connection time ) of 3 hours at BKK as you have to clear Immigration. Shorter times can be ticketed if on the same ticket and if bags can be interlined.

Need more detail. Who is operating the flight BKK-CNX? Any checked bags?

Most recommend a MCT ( minimum connection time ) of 3 hours at BKK as you have to clear Immigration. Shorter times can be ticketed if on the same ticket and if bags can be interlined.

The flight from London to Bangkok is with EVA, then from Bangkok to Chiang Mai it's Thai Airways. It's the same on the return. By checked bags do you mean luggage? Yes 1 rucksack.

How did you ticket this, or plan to ticket this? All on one ticket? If so, it looks like you could ticket a 100 minute connection at BKK, LHR-BKK-CNX. You could check your bag through to CNX as Eva and TG interline bags, clear Immigration in BKK, get your bag in CNX and clear Customs there.

Personally I prefer to give myself plenty of time for connections, to allow for IRROPS but I am overly cautious and have never missed an international flight (with nearly 2 million flight miles). I'd give myself at least three hours at BKK, would only check my bag through to BKK, then re-check it. I've never lost a bag either.

Also be careful as some flights to CNX might operate from DMK (Don Meuang) which requires at least an MCT of 4 hours, IMO.

London, United Kingdom to Chiang Mai, Thailand: 6320 miles 13 hrs 55 min

Eva Airways Flight BR68 on a Boeing 747 (jet) in coach class

(meal)

Departs London, United Kingdom (LHR) Sun, Oct 26 9:30p 11 hrs 5 min

Arrives Bangkok, Thailand (BKK) Mon, Oct 27 3:35p

1 adult in booking code B, covered by fare (A1) below

Layover in Bangkok 1 hr 40 min

Thai Airways Flight TG116 on a Boeing 747 (jet) in coach class

(snack)

Departs Bangkok, Thailand (BKK) Mon, Oct 27 5:15p 1 hr 10 min

Arrives Chiang Mai, Thailand (CNX) 6:25p

1 adult in booking code S, covered by fare (A1) below

Note: The flight from London (LHR) to Bangkok (BKK) is overnight.

Chiang Mai, Thailand to London, United Kingdom: 6320 miles 19 hrs 10 min

Thai Airways Flight TG125 on an Airbus A300 (jet) in coach class

(snack)

Departs Chiang Mai, Thailand (CNX) Sun, Nov 9 7:00a 1 hr 10 min

Arrives Bangkok, Thailand (BKK) 8:10a

1 adult in booking code S, covered by fare (A2) below

Layover in Bangkok 5 hrs 10 min

Eva Airways Flight BR67 on a Boeing 747 (jet) in coach class

(meal)

Departs Bangkok, Thailand (BKK) Sun, Nov 9 1:20p 12 hrs 50 min

Arrives London, United Kingdom (LHR) 7:10p

1 adult in booking code B, covered by fare (A2) below

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Booking details

If you want to buy this ticket, it's probably best to use a travel agent (this ticket involves multiple airlines, which can get complicated). If you use a travel agent to buy this ticket:

If your travel agent is online and has an e-mail address, e-mail this itinerary to them

If your travel agent is not online, print out this page and fax/give it to them

It is very important to use exactly the same booking codes and fare codes that we've used on this page in order to match the price we've found.

Fare (A1): BR LONCNX YLPX3M fare (rules) £578.50

Fare (A2): BR CNXLON YLPX3M fare (rules) £578.50

Tax: United Kingdom Air Passengers Duty £40.00

Tax: United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge £19.70

Tax: BR YQ surcharge £132.00

Tax: Thailand Passenger Service Charge THB 700

Tax: TG YQ surcharge $56.50

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total for 1 adult passenger: £1392.40

(as of Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:47am)

Fare construction (sometimes useful to travel agents):

LON BR X/BKK TG CNX M 1133.78YLPX3M TG X/BKK BR LON M 1133.78YLPX3M NUC 2267.56 END ROE 0.510239 FARE GBP 1157.00 XT 40.00GB 19.70UB 11.50TS 164.20YQ

How did you ticket this, or plan to ticket this? All on one ticket? If so, it looks like you could ticket a 100 minute connection at BKK, LHR-BKK-CNX. You could check your bag through to CNX as Eva and TG interline bags, clear Immigration in BKK, get your bag in CNX and clear Customs there.

Personally I prefer to give myself plenty of time for connections, to allow for IRROPS but I am overly cautious and have never missed an international flight (with nearly 2 million flight miles). I'd give myself at least three hours at BKK, would only check my bag through to BKK, then re-check it. I've never lost a bag either.

Also be careful as some flights to CNX might operate from DMK (Don Meuang) which requires at least an MCT of 4 hours, IMO.

(meal)

(snack)

(snack)

(meal)

Booking details

If you want to buy this ticket, it's probably best to use a travel agent (this ticket involves multiple airlines, which can get complicated). If you use a travel agent to buy this ticket:

If your travel agent is online and has an e-mail address, e-mail this itinerary to them

It is very important to use exactly the same booking codes and fare codes that we've used on this page in order to match the price we've found.

LON BR X/BKK TG CNX M 1133.78YLPX3M TG X/BKK BR LON M 1133.78YLPX3M NUC 2267.56 END ROE 0.510239 FARE GBP 1157.00 XT 40.00GB 19.70UB 11.50TS 164.20YQ

Wow, thanks for all of that! I'm planning to book it with Opodo (online). I've never booked anything with them before but I'm assuming it will be 1 ticket. You think I should email them to ask if my bag will go straight through to Chiang Mai?

That price is like double what I've been quoted...

(meal)

(snack)

(snack)

(meal)

Booking details

Wow, thanks for all of that! I'm planning to book it with Opodo (online). I've never booked anything with them before but I'm assuming it will be 1 ticket. You think I should email them to ask if my bag will go straight through to Chiang Mai?

That price is like double what I've been quoted...

I am booked on those exact flights outbound on the 26th October on Eva from LHR and up to Chiang Mai on TG116. I booked them separately and checked with both airlines beforehand that I could check my baggage right through to CM from Heathrow. No problem with that they both told me.

It should be fine on your flight into thailand... however you might consider leaving yourself plenty of time in between your flights home.

I booked my flights home from my first trip to Thailand with only about 45 minutes to spare in between the domestic flight up from Phuket airport to Suvarnabhumi (Bangkok) airport and my international flight home.

The pre-booked taxi transfer from my hotel to Phuket airport didn't show up.... the hotel staff assured me it would arrive soon... it didn't. Some 3/4 of an increasingly frustrating hour later, I gave up and tried to get a hotel taxi instead. This took 20 minutes to arrive... by this time, I had only 45 minutes before check in for my flight closed... and the hotel was an hours drive from the airport.

I was freaked, and wondering what to do if I missed the flight, which would inevitably result in my missing my international flight as well.

The taxi driver said "Airport : 1 hour"

I said "400baht tip says airport 40 minutes... if take longer, I need that 400 baht for new plane ticket!"

The taxi driver drove like a demon, and made it to the airport in 42 minutes... He got his 400 baht. I got my flight, and made my connection... even my luggage made the transfer.

But I resolved that I would never cut it that fine again... I would never attempt a domestic flight on the same day as my international flight home again...

Murg

It should be fine on your flight into thailand... however you might consider leaving yourself plenty of time in between your flights home.

I booked my flights home from my first trip to Thailand with only about 45 minutes to spare in between the domestic flight up from Phuket airport to Suvarnabhumi (Bangkok) airport and my international flight home.

The pre-booked taxi transfer from my hotel to Phuket airport didn't show up.... the hotel staff assured me it would arrive soon... it didn't. Some 3/4 of an increasingly frustrating hour later, I gave up and tried to get a hotel taxi instead. This took 20 minutes to arrive... by this time, I had only 45 minutes before check in for my flight closed... and the hotel was an hours drive from the airport.

I was freaked, and wondering what to do if I missed the flight, which would inevitably result in my missing my international flight as well.

The taxi driver said "Airport : 1 hour"

I said "400baht tip says airport 40 minutes... if take longer, I need that 400 baht for new plane ticket!"

The taxi driver drove like a demon, and made it to the airport in 42 minutes... He got his 400 baht. I got my flight, and made my connection... even my luggage made the transfer.

But I resolved that I would never cut it that fine again... I would never attempt a domestic flight on the same day as my international flight home again...

Murg

Oh god, that sounds horrendous!! I think it should be ok for me, because I will have 5 hours inbetween.