Thai Driver License 5 Year

Bengt

I have soon have my Thai driver licence for one year and its valid for both MC and Car and its soon time to apply for the next license that will be valid for 5 years.

I went together whit my wife at transportation office in Chonburi and they told us to come back a few days before my recent license expire and submit Passort Non immigrant visa and TM 6 card and medical certificate and my old Thai driver licences and then they will get me a letter that I have to go to immigration to certify my address in Thailand and then they will issue the new 5 years licenses.

It seems no need to wait until my recent licenses have expired...

BTW...i read that many ppl have to wait until the driver licence have expired but as far as I know if it expired then you not allowed to drive until you got a new license...is this right??

Glad to get any replies from ppl whit more experiences.

I also wonder if you got a Thai driver license and lets say you get back to Europe for some time and then go back whithout a non immigrant visa....are you allowed to drive whith a valid Thai license but whithout the non immigrant visa??

I have soon have my Thai driver licence for one year and its valid for both MC and Car and its soon time to apply for the next license that will be valid for 5 years.

I went together whit my wife at transportation office in Chonburi and they told us to come back a few days before my recent license expire and submit Passort Non immigrant visa and TM 6 card and medical certificate and my old Thai driver licences and then they will get me a letter that I have to go to immigration to certify my address in Thailand and then they will issue the new 5 years licenses.

It seems no need to wait until my recent licenses have expired...

BTW...i read that many ppl have to wait until the driver licence have expired but as far as I know if it expired then you not allowed to drive until you got a new license...is this right??

Glad to get any replies from ppl whit more experiences.

I also wonder if you got a Thai driver license and lets say you get back to Europe for some time and then go back whithout a non immigrant visa....are you allowed to drive whith a valid Thai license but whithout the non immigrant visa??

Hi

I got my 5 yr licenses locally in Surin and SEPARATE licenses are issued for motorcycles and for cars. Like you mentioned, I got a 100baht medical certificate, a FREE Immigration letter showing my home address and called in to Transport Office the day AFTER my 1 yr license expired. This meant two lots of forms to complete, no re-tests of any sort and THEY take your photo for the new Cr Card style plastic card(s). A number of policemen informed me as long as I have expired card, there would be no problem for a couple of days.

I dont understand how(or why) you seem to link a visa with a D.License,sorry :o . In Europe, I would think an International Driving Permit would have to be held along with your Thai license.

Dave

Wait until after the 1 year licenses expires at least a day or two before you go to renew for the 5 year.

As for using a Thai license in another country? Check with the country in question and their motor vehicle laws as to whether they accept a Thai license to allow driving in their country.

An example in the US is the Thai license is acceptable as a driving license in most states and no need for a International driving permit as the new Thai license is printed in English.

If you don't already understand the IDP is just a way for the police in any given country to read a statement that the driving license held by a person actually is licensed to drive in their home country. You cannot get a IDP without first being a licensed driver in the country where you apply for it. The IDP in and of itself is not an actual driver's license.

Hi Bengt,

With reguards to the 1yr Thai license expiry date. My licence expired in March and I was pulled over in April at a random

police checkpoint the copper didnt seem to mind that my licence was over a month out of date. When I finally got off my lazy arse and got my 5 yr licence the lady at the Motor registry said that its valid for 12 months after the expiry date, so you can renew your 1yr licence up to a year after it has expired. But as we both know these things change depending on who you speak to. Cheers Scabo.

Or you get what happened to me. They gave me another 1 year licence and refused to give me a 5 year licence. I had all the documentation too. Their reason for refusal was that I do not have a yellow book for the house ! :o

Or you get what happened to me. They gave me another 1 year licence and refused to give me a 5 year licence. I had all the documentation too. Their reason for refusal was that I do not have a yellow book for the house ! :o

We been told by the transportation office in Chonburi that the renewal of both my licenses will be valid for 5 years and my Thaiwife also explain that i will be allowed to drive in other asian countries too.

My international driving license will expire in a week but I dont need that for the renewal.

I have all classes in my original Swedish license and allowed to drive all kinds of vehicles even if i not interested to work as a driver anymore.