Mae Sot Visa Run

Hi,

My parents are coming to visit us on 60 days Tourist Visa but they will leave Thailand a few days after the visa expired , so we're planning to do a visa run at Mae Sot (Tak). Does anyone know what is the fee to pay there to come back to Thailand? And how long do they have to stay in Burma before come back to Thailand.?

Thanks,

It doesn’t matter if the tourist visa expires after their arrival in Thailand; it is the expiration of the permission to stay ("until" date on the entry stamp) that counts. The 60-day permission they receive upon arrival can be extended by 30 days at any immigration office for a fee of 1,900 Baht.

--

Maestro

That visa run is straight forward. There is no fee to come back to Thailand but there is a fee for a Burmese one day permit, which is 500 Baht. You don't have to spend any time on the Burmese side and you can only spend the day there, not the night, all you need to do is cross the bridge from Thailand, pay the 500 Baht, wait 10 minutes for your permit, then exit, then cross back into Thailand.

Walk across the bridge, as you do you will probably be asked if you want a guide by domeone. Go in the office, pay the Burmese 500Bht for a stamp + You will need to pay a one-off extra for a image to be taken (for their database) - No Passport photocopy required.

You can either roam around the town looking at temples - Not exactly a lot to do, as you can only go 2km in. The Crocodile temple, is probably the only one worth visiting.

Or return to Thailand straight away.

There is no charge for 30 day VOA in Thailand.

That visa run is straight forward. There is no fee to come back to Thailand but there is a fee for a Burmese one day permit, which is 500 Baht. You don't have to spend any time on the Burmese side and you can only spend the day there, not the night, all you need to do is cross the bridge from Thailand, pay the 500 Baht, wait 10 minutes for your permit, then exit, then cross back into Thailand.

Seems you know your stuff re Mae Sot-Myawaddy!

Very little known about this alternative to Mae Sai-Tachilek for we northeners. Can you give us more details?

Years ago an Aussie told me that MS-M was "much more interesting" but lately I've heard that only "Burmese"' is spoken on both sides of the border, the streets are full of beggers, inc children, and both places are dusty and boring. Cheaper, yes, but basic and unattractive in every way.

Please can you set us straight?

As I recall, the trip at Mae Sai could be done for either 500 baht OR $10 USD. Obviously, if you have USD, it is far cheaper.

Can anyone tell me whether the same is true at Mae Sot, or is 500 baht the only payment option there? Just curious.

Also, when you are in Mae Sot, say hello to Rambo for me.

Seems you know your stuff re Mae Sot-Myawaddy!...

Mae Sot is a very interesting town, there are numerous Burmese and Karen workers/exiles etc in Mae Sot so yes Burmese is spoken a lot even on the Thai side, but certainly not 'only Burmese'. There are some beggers, but not the 'streets are not full of them'. Mae Sot is a booming town, has been for years, and is actually one of the more prosperous small towns in the country. it's worth checking out, and like I said in my previous post, the visa run at the border is straightforward. Regarding the 500 Baht or 10 dollars, i'm not 100 percent sure but i believe they will demand 500 baht even if u gave them 10 dollars. Perhaps if u didn't have any Baht and just us dollars on u they'd accept it but expect to pay 500 Baht.

^usernanex, thanks for the informative post.

I have read somewhere that the fee for Thais to cross into Myanmar for the day is only 35 Baht. I was thinking of going across with my Thai wife and son so do you know if the 35 B fee for them is correct?

As you seem to know the place well, do you have any recommendations for accommodation in Mae Sot?

Thanks for the reply, ubonjoe.

I'm not sure that I understand. Isn't the fee paid at the Myanmar immigration office at the border?

Thats for farangs I believe. I might of jumped the gun a little I was thinking of Laos experience. but I think for Thais it will be the same. And then pay a small amount in Burma. The Thai side is so they don't need a passport,

Edited by ubonjoe

Apterley

Past couple of years, Huh

You will seem to recall the days of needing a passport photocopy then??? -- You no have? OK 10bht.

So what happened the first time you had your image taken by the webcam there and your data input to the database? – I had to pay something like10bht OR was I done???icon7.gificon14.gif

Next crossing/s, they take the 500 visa fee, input your passport No, your image apperars on their little screen with the dates of previous crossings....

30Bht for Thais, they will need their ID Card and a passport photo – which can be done in the Immigration office, maybe 2-3Km away from bridge, on L/handside – No doubt someone will correct me!!! and say its 3.5km icon1.gif I do not know the exact distance.

There is no charge for 30 day VOA in Thailand.

There is no “30 day VOA in Thailand”. There is a 15-day VOA (visa on arrival) in Thailand, for a fee, available to the nationals of a some countries, and there is the 30-day visa-exempt entry, available to the nationals of some other countries.

--

Maestro

Apterley

Past couple of years, Huh

You will seem to recall the days of needing a passport photocopy then??? -- You no have? OK 10bht.

So what happened the first time you had your image taken by the webcam there and your data input to the database? – I had to pay something like10bht OR was I done???icon7.gificon14.gif

Next crossing/s, they take the 500 visa fee, input your passport No, your image apperars on their little screen with the dates of previous crossings....

30Bht for Thais, they will need their ID Card and a passport photo – which can be done in the Immigration office, maybe 2-3Km away from bridge, on L/handside – No doubt someone will correct me!!! and say its 3.5km icon1.gif I do not know the exact distance.

Yep, you were stitched up and done over a treat!!!! Never had to pay myself.

I can remember paying 10 bht for a photo copy of my passport. Even had to pay the 10 bht when I gave them a copy I had made! I think this was their own little earner.

The 10 bht for the digital image seems much the same thing to me. Just one of the ways they try to make a little extra although they missed me out for some reason.

Having said that Mae Sot is my favourite crossing. Nice and quiet and in my experience helpful officials on both sides of the bridge.

Maestro

Correct me.

What is the exact terminology for the 30 day entry visa (stamp) when you arrive from outside the kingdom???

I believed it was VOA ...as that is what it is….

Appertley

I never paid for a photocopy there – But I saw it happen more than once!

Perhaps the reason they didn’t get you for the image, was they had already “tucked you up” previously!!!rolleyes.gif

Mae-Sot is also my favourite crossing from anywhere. With no hassle from anyone.

The Thai Officials are the best I have encountered in Thailand.

• 4 months later...
Maestro

Correct me.

What is the exact terminology for the 30 day entry visa (stamp) when you arrive from outside the kingdom???

I believed it was VOA ...as that is what it is….

Just to verify the information Ubonjoe gave.

A VOA is available for a few nationalities (not British). Costs 1,000 Baht and gives a stay of 15 days.

A Visa Exempt Entry is available to certain nationalities (incl. British) It is free and gives a stay of 30 days at the airport or 15 days at a land border.

Two totaly different things.

Hello 2all,

be aware if you plan to make a visa run in Mae Sot, the road appears to be blocked... :D

3w.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/30095249/Farmers-block-road-in-Tak

(You are not allowed to post a URL.) ^^

Check well and have a nice day :o

About 7 more posts and you will be able to post URL's. Newbie's can't do it.

Thanks for the info.