Renewing Non "o" In Bkk

Hello my brothers of infinite wisdom. I bernie66, humbly submit these questions to the brethren only after failing to find out the information for myself. In accordance with the Expatriated Brethren of Thailand Decree of 1998 , amendment 24 of Etiquette and Tolerance in a place of public gathering to include forums: Section 8 Paragraph 4. “Thou shall not interrupt thy brethrens beer with stupid questions”.

:o So sayeth the flock.

My non “O” expired in May because I was out of the country. I am currently not in the country but coming home in October. Do you think they will look at my application as a renewal instead of a new applicant now that it has expired while i was out of the country? My wife called immigration and they said that sense we are married that I can apply from inside Thailand. So my plan is to come home in October, entering on a Tourist Visa. Then go down to the immigration office in BKK with a TM.87 and get my Non “O” multiple entry renewed. Is there anything I have to do or submit upon my arrival? Will this work? I will only be home for 3 weeks so I am not worried about an over stay on the tourist visa I initially enter on. I only want to create a track record of visas even though i do not plan to stay in the country for mre than 30 days. I am thinking they will stamp my visa but it will only activate once I leave the country and return?

Hello my brothers of infinite wisdom. I bernie66, humbly submit these questions to the brethren only after failing to find out the information for myself. In accordance with the Expatriated Brethren of Thailand Decree of 1998 , amendment 24 of Etiquette and Tolerance in a place of public gathering to include forums: Section 8 Paragraph 4. “Thou shall not interrupt thy brethrens beer with stupid questions”.

:o So sayeth the flock.

My non “O” expired in May because I was out of the country. I am currently not in the country but coming home in October. Do you think they will look at my application as a renewal instead of a new applicant now that it has expired while i was out of the country? My wife called immigration and they said that sense we are married that I can apply from inside Thailand. So my plan is to come home in October, entering on a Tourist Visa. Then go down to the immigration office in BKK with a TM.87 and get my Non “O” multiple entry renewed. Is there anything I have to do or submit upon my arrival? Will this work? I will only be home for 3 weeks so I am not worried about an over stay on the tourist visa I initially enter on. I only want to create a track record of visas even though i do not plan to stay in the country for mre than 30 days. I am thinking they will stamp my visa but it will only activate once I leave the country and return?

If you want a Non O Multry Entry you will have to get it at a Thai Consulate before you enter Thailand. Immigration do not issue these.

Thai Immigration only upgrade Tourist Visas and 30 day entry stamps to a single Non O Visa if it is part of the application for a years extension based on Marriage.

Fot this you will need to prove a family income of 40,000 Baht a month and a few other things.

If you want a Non O Multry Entry you will have to get it at a Thai Consulate before you enter Thailand. Immigration do not issue these.

Thai Immigration only upgrade Tourist Visas and 30 day entry stamps to a single Non O Visa if it is part of the application for a years extension based on Marriage.

Fot this you will need to prove a family income of 40,000 Baht a month and a few other things.

This was always my understanding but they told my wife something different on the phone.

Personally,I would get a Non O Multi Entry in the UK (presume you are from there) which will give you up to 15 months stay in Thailand.

About 1 month before this visa expires I would apply for an extension based on marriage.

Proof of income 40,000 baht per month,copies passport and wifes id,tabien baan etc.

If you get a Non O Multi Entry valid from 1st October 2008 you wont have to worry about an extension till December 2009 :o

Personally,I would get a Non O Multi Entry in the UK (presume you are from there) which will give you up to 15 months stay in Thailand.

About 1 month before this visa expires I would apply for an extension based on marriage.

Proof of income 40,000 baht per month,copies passport and wifes id,tabien baan etc.

If you get a Non O Multi Entry valid from 1st October 2008 you wont have to worry about an extension till December 2009 :o

He is an American.

If anyone from there has applied recently in the US maybe they will be good enough to post their experiences.

I already travel too much ,just not to any countries that have thai consulates. I sure as hel_l dont want to spend the money or time to go to the US or UK to get another visa. If Mr. Beer is right, and i think he is. I will just make the quickest border run possible. Which one would be the quickest and cheapest?

bernie66, I see that you have two problems:

1. Either the immigration officer gave your wife the wrong information, or she understood it wrong, or she passed it on to you wrong.

2. One way or another, with only three weeks in Thailand you would not have enough time to get an application for annual extension of stay processed. When you apply you get a stamp asking you to come back 30 days or a month later to get the approval stamped in your passport.

This is how it works when you arrive with a tourist visa, regardless what the immigration office told your wife or your wife says she was told:

Step 1: you arrive in Thailand with a tourist visa.

Step 2: with at least 21 days remaining of your permission to stay you apply at the immigration office for a change of visa to non-immigrant, with all the documents required for a marriage extension of stay and your wife present. This extends your permission to stay by 90 days.

Step 3: within the last 30 days of your new permission to stay you apply at the immigration office for the annual extension of stay to live with Thai wife. You receive a stamp asking you to report to the immigration office 30 days later.

Step 4: on the appointed date you pick up your extension of stay at the immigration office.

--

Maestro

Step 2: with at least 21 days remaining of your permission to stay you apply at the immigration office for a change of visa to non-immigrant, with all the documents required for a marriage extension of stay and your wife present. This extends your permission to stay by 90 days.

Step 3: within the last 30 days of your new permission to stay you apply at the immigration office for the annual extension of stay to live with Thai wife. You receive a stamp asking you to report to the immigration office 30 days later.

Step 4: on the appointed date you pick up your extension of stay at the immigration office.

--

Maestro

I have two questions related to the above:

Can this procedure be used also for retirement extension?

What about those having no visa when they arrive?

bernie66, I see that you have two problems:

1. Either the immigration officer gave your wife the wrong information, or she understood it wrong, or she passed it on to you wrong.

2. One way or another, with only three weeks in Thailand you would not have enough time to get an application for annual extension of stay processed. When you apply you get a stamp asking you to come back 30 days or a month later to get the approval stamped in your passport.

This is how it works when you arrive with a tourist visa, regardless what the immigration office told your wife or your wife says she was told:

--

Maestro

Thank you Sir,

Edited by bernie66

--

Maestro

I have two questions related to the above:

Can this procedure be used also for retirement extension?

What about those having no visa when they arrive?

Yes, can be used also for retirement extension but in this case in step 3 the application for extension is approved immediately; step 4 is not necessary.

Yes, the conversion to non-immigrant visa is possible also after entering Thailand without a visa.

--

Maestro