Ecc Celta Train And Teach

Morpheus

I'm thinking off doing the ECC Celta in Bangkok next year. The ad for "train and teach" states that after sucessful completion of the course applicants will be offered full time teaching positions in one of ECC's schools and half the course fee of $1,400 will be refunded.

Can anyone confirm to me that this is the case?

Also there is no requirement to have a Degree in order to do the course.....only a "a standard of education that would allow third level entry".

Do they offer jobs to people with no Degrees?

Nothing in Thailand is guaranteed for 12 months, during your first year here, unless you sign up for internet or cable for 12 months. So forget the refund for now.

You're thinking of paying US$1,400 for a course that will teach you how to teach EFL to adults only, anywhere in the world (CELTA) - correct?

You can pay more like $1,100 for several courses that will teach you how to teach EFL to adults, youth, and children, especially in Asia, and esp. in Thailand.

Think about it. If you're going to make a 20-year commitment to this as a post-graduate profession (and already have a B.Ed. or a B.A. in English), then go for the gold (or get an M.Ed.). Otherwise, save your money. That's my unhumble opinion.

I did the CELTA at ECC in August and cannot recommend it highly enough. Very professional and well presented. Very practical and stressful. The CELTA itself is of great value. Great course, great staff. Don't waste time on anything non CELTA unless you are doing an MEd or PGCert in TESOL. Oh and I have a Post Grad Cert in TESOL from USQ that was academic rather than practical like the CELTA. Also very good. Any more questions feel free to contact me at [email protected] As for teaching there, that's another story. I wouldn't do it but they probably support you quite well with professional development etc. Just not enough money for me!

• 2 weeks later...

I worked with ECC for 2 years. They have their pluses and minuses. Just know that they will dick you over anytime they have a chance. And because that means money out of their pocket, you might only make it through 11 months of the require year before they can you to save some money. They dont like to pay anything resembling a bonus.

You are better off getting a job elsehwere. You will work less for more pay and more than make up for the $700 over the year.