Invest In Baht Or Dollar

Baht very weak against GBP but USD now at 1.90 to the pound (dropped five cents in 48 hours).

Last time US trade deficit was anything like it's current level, the Dollar devalued 30 percent. On this occasion, it has only dropped 15 percent so far. I think it has a lot further to fall.

Changed my mind about buying Baht and will wait a week to see what happens to the Dollar. Looks like a good buy to me and getting better... comments?

My guess is that the Baht will follow the dollar against other Asian currencies sooner than later. The SAT has had it's worst year and Thaksin is still spending like crazy. Seems to me that the Thai deficit will catch up with them just as it has with the States. If I were to pick an Asian currency to buy it would probably be the SGD. No meaningful interest paid however from a standard savings account. My second choice would be the Kiwi dollar as you can get 5.5% return. Then again the Kiwi dollar has had quite a run-up against the greenback already. As Clint Eastwood said as he pointed "the most powerful handgun in the world" at a bad guy, "do you feel lucky?".

Weak dollar is bad news for Asian Countries, makes exports to US and other countries which insist on dollars expensive. My guess is US waiting on asian central banks, particularly Japan, to start buying up dollars to shore up the price.

Safest Option: buy Matebeleland gumbo beans.

[ My guess is US waiting on asian central banks, particularly Japan, to start buying up dollars to shore up the price.

Safest Option: buy Matebeleland gumbo beans.

Latest news that I heard was that the Bank of Japan is offloading $Dollars not buying. :D

The baht however is still holding at 39.5/75 ($-£) but cant see that for much longer.

Recon the $US has got further to fall especially with the FEDs recent declaration on large fiscal borrowing overspend.(good for economy and stay at homers)

Might even be going back to those heady days of 96 bt = £1....or even more. :o

Still got some Iraqi Dints from old days in the dust with u know whos face on them...just waiting for a recovery :D

Have I understood this correcly? :o

Better to wait until the mighty buck gets strong again (before the next fall)

and then go back into dollars, than to do it now when the buck's weak?

Wow.. are these teachings from the now ancient "new economy".

:D

Best regards,

NoBuzz

Have I understood this correcly?  :o

Better to wait until the mighty buck gets strong again (before the next fall)

and then go back into dollars, than to do it now when the buck's weak?

Wow.. are these teachings from the now ancient "new economy".

:D

Best regards,

NoBuzz

I don't think you understood it correctly.

ooh...

Dear Flummoxed.

I see how you see I didn't understand it correctly.

Now I'll be on my way looking for a nice bridge to jump off of.

Hopefully you won't see me again.

Unless the beer on the way to the bridge makes me

change my mind.

Again :D

Regards,

NoBuzz

Live mid-market rates as of 2004.12.02 05:10:58 GMT.

1.00 GBP

United Kingdom Pounds = 1.93353 USD

United States Dollars

Blimey! another 4 cents drop against the Pound. Could it go to 2 Dollars?

Other currencies I've got my eye on are HKD and PHP. (and the Baht, of course)

Gordons on the stump this afternoon with plans to spend £-mak on child care and paternity leave.

Also just heard that the the old water rates/electricity bills are gonna hike way above inflation with B.o.E.interest rates (specu of course)at 5.5% next year.

Ken (mayor) wants lots more dosh for the wee tube/train network and the congestion charges will be going up...where else.. to £8 a hit.(drive into the city center)

At $2 =£1 ....wait for it.... that would be @ Bt 700 just to visit MBK :o

Can buy a lotta chang for 700 baht......

:D:D:D

With the high cost of oil (in US$) it makes me wonder if the rest of the world would be too keen to shore up the $ value.

The $ has a fair way to go downwards in my opinion as Euro becomes more important as a world currency.

As far as I understand the $ is a manufactured currency that has not been backed by sufficient gold reserves for a number of years now. If thety need more cash, they just print it. I don't pretend to be an expert, but this has got to lead to a major devaluation of the $ in the coming years.

If thety need more cash, they just print it. I don't pretend to be an expert, but this has got to lead to a major devaluation of the $ in the coming years.

If memory serves, that was one of the factors that fvcked the British Labour government of the seventies.... the winter of discontent.

The USD has a lot further to fall. G.W. Bush & his minions are advocating a weak dollar policy even though they never admit to it. The ignorant US consumer continues to borrow & spend, living way beyond their means. Economic data in the US has been far from stellar and people are still losing jobs. Many so-called experts are forming this same opinion and I take them all with a grain of salt but when Warren Buffet says he is investing in foreign currencies, it's time to pay attention. I think he fell asleep at the wheel a little in it though because I was getting out of USD and into others about 1 year before him. Read more about it here: USD falling?

I made good money from late 2002-early 2003 in New Zealand Kiwi. Took profit on that and went straight into Euro and been there ever since. As soon as foreign central banks decide to stop propping up the USD and switch some of their reserves over to EUR, which is pretty much the only other option, USD will fall hard. It has been the Asian governments that have prevented the USD from a free fall. They don't want to let their currencies get too strong as to have an adverse effect on their own economies.

As one other reader pointed out, the USD is actually worth nothing and is supported by false pretenses. Rather than explain, read about it here:

Worth anything?

The USD has a lot further to fall.  G.W. Bush & his minions are advocating a weak dollar policy even though they never admit to it.  The ignorant US consumer continues to borrow & spend, living way beyond their means.  Economic data in the US has been far from stellar and people are still losing jobs.  Many so-called experts are forming this same opinion and I take them all with a grain of salt but when Warren Buffet says he is investing in foreign currencies, it's time to pay attention.  I think he fell asleep at the wheel a little in it though because I was getting out of USD and into others about 1 year before him.  Read more about it here:  USD falling?

I made good money from late 2002-early 2003 in New Zealand Kiwi.  Took profit on that and went straight into Euro and been there ever since.  As soon as foreign central banks decide to stop propping up the USD and switch some of their reserves over to EUR, which is pretty much the only other option, USD will fall hard.  It has been the Asian governments that have prevented the USD from a free fall.  They don't want to let their currencies get too strong as to have an adverse effect on their own economies.

As one other reader pointed out, the USD is actually worth nothing and is supported by false pretenses.  Rather than explain, read about it here:

Worth anything?

keep a basket of currencies such as euro, swiss francs, kiwi dollars(pound to expensive now) and of course don't forget a few baht of gold here and there! :D

i still have 20 baht i bought at Bt 6200 a few years ago :o

Weak dollar may be genius for the US. Remember Germany's crushing debts after WW1? They were denominated in Marks so Germany let inflation rip and, when the Mark was worth almost nothing, paid back the debt. Easy!

US debt is denominated in $. Hmmm... :o

Everone knows that soon, the USD will no longer be the Worlds reserve currency. After doing my sums, I think the Dollar will sink to at least $2.50 to the pound by the second or third quarter next year.

No matter, I have decided I will not invest in the dollar, no matter how low it goes. It's a toilet currency now.