R_e_s_p_e_c_t... From Your Thai Boss..

myauq

just recently a fair few people have been telling me about their experiences with former and current thai bosses. most of these experiences have been negative. :D

there seems to be a theme running through their stories, which is that they don't feel respected. i have the same feelings towards my boss, who i'd describe as being very unpredictable - one day full of praise, the next full of rage and scorn. it seems that she has no impulse control, often forgets to tell me important information before client breifings, blames others for her own mistakes, never bothers to find out the cause of problems. terrible really.

i've been interviewed for other jobs, because i basically don't feel very appreciated at my current work. the other work places i've been to seem to be much better, with bosses who know what they're talking about, and are interested in having a decent chat with me.

what are other peoples' experiences (negative, positive, indifferent) of their thai bosses, and do you think there are any issues for them when it comes to working with a farang? :o

wai o wai would you be seeking respect from someone who is likely petrified of you having him/her look stupid in front of Ttheir hai staff.

Have you not noticed that all you get from senior level management is a bunch of "tammai tammai" and general ordering around of junior staff who are scared shi*less to do or say anything but ka ka.

Keep this in mind the next time you make eye contact with a pooyai or khunying. :o

Although my Thai bosses (2 of) are always cordial to me they make it absolutely understood that what I think/feel/say has no effect on them. I am a gun for hire and that's that. In their minds, I don't count. He who has the gold makes the rules I guess. To a great extent as long as they continue to pay me I don't really care. The fact is I just want them for their money anyhow. When all is said and done , do I think they respect me ? No, not at all. It's strictly business. But, that's OK , I know where I stand, and I can live with it...for now.

They aren't all the same, but in my years here, most of them pretty much fit the pattern of what you said. Often we are seen as a necessary evil and our expertise is seen as a cause for them to lose face.

It's difficult for a boss here to admit they don't know everything. One of the ways they keep control is by keeping essential information out of the hands of employees. It's a little like playing solitaire with a deck of 51 cards.

The higher up the chain you go the less likely they are to "...admit their mistakes" or "..to find the real causes of the problem". I have found that here, in North America, in UK and other parts of Asia I have worked in.

After all they got to where they are by being the "the best" so if there is any screw ups it must be someone else.

Ego + Hubris, look at what happened recently. Ask any of the top CEOs, you think they'll say its their fault.

Does my bosses ( Thai + S'pore) respect me? Yes to a certain extend as I am a hired gun, here to run a project. Do I get treated different from local staff? Yes to a certain extend as I am a hired gun. Do they withold information? again Yes to a certain extend as I am a hired gun, so need to know only basis.

On the flipside, do I tell my staff everything? No. Do I openly admit that sometimes I have no clue whats happening? He-LL NO. Do i ask for help? Yes, and I call it delegating responsibility. Do I take time to find out the cause of the problems? Yes and No, thats why I hired my staff, its their job to find out the cause and offer solutions. I will help them but its their job, otherwise why hire anyone?

Not that much different from every where else actually. Remember the Big guys always need deniability :o. "the project wouldve worked if everyone had done what I told them, those stupid .........." and if its works "Thanks to my brilliant planning and leadership"

the other work places i've been to seem to be much better, with bosses who know what they're talking about, and are interested in having a decent chat with me.

These things usually change once you are "their employee"!

..what are other peoples' experiences (negative, positive, indifferent) of their thai bosses, and do you think there are any issues for them when it comes to working with a farang? :o

.... it is still very much a question of maturity, character and the individual... but in general I think that many of them do feel inferior towards a Farang - to make this up, they play the tough guy or otherwise it's just what they are - it's a power game and don't forget this is a patronage system!

I had an experience where he made up big contracts and of course big income and how clever he was to get things done and going his way, to impress, but they never realized, as if parties involved/concerned wouldn't.. that was quite funny!

One day he showed up with a brand new digital camera Canon EOS something, used it a lot, but then there were no pictures - he wondered... :D

Nobody dared to say a word!

He could be very friendly and very "vicious" backstabbing, he liked to listen to staffs blackmail, played a caring father and husband but any time there was an opportunity he was "on the go", not stopping short at female staff too!

ahh well, always thought of him as a very immature, lacking character person, never could have a natural necessary R_e_s_p_e_c_t for this man!

After reading the above posts, I feel a lot better about my job...

I have a Thai boss whom I respect, she is very squared away and it appears that she respects me and my opinions as well.

She is tough, but fair and is more than willing to admit that she doesn't know everything and expects her staff to know more than her (which isn't easy).

Yes, most of the Thai staff are afraid of her because she is very straightforward and expects everyone to take responsibility for their actions (no face saving allowed).

As for me, I like her leadership style (I have fairly thick skin) and I learn something new everytime she calls me into her office.

Just want to add this:

Its not always perfect, there are times when I think I am right and she overrules me, but its her company and she has that right. The good thing is even if she over rules me or any other employee it is always for a reason and she explains why...

Edited by CWMcMurray

Never received resect from my Thai boss. Never received resect from anyone, come to think of it. I get no resect.

I respect myself.

I don't care what my boss thinks, honestly. I just do the best job I can.

As for colleagues, I care even less.

Refer to Heng's "bubble theory."

Before telling the world your Thai boss doesn't respect you, it might be worth taking a moment to consider why not.

I've seen many a foreigner in Thailand wash the respect they were given down the drain by behaving in a manner that could only destroy the respect they thought theirs by right of being a westerner in Thailand.

Just because you can't see/understand the rules does not mean there are no rules.

Before telling the world your Thai boss doesn't respect you, it might be worth taking a moment to consider why not.

I've seen many a foreigner in Thailand wash the respect they were given down the drain by behaving in a manner that could only destroy the respect they thought theirs by right of being a westerner in Thailand.

Just because you can't see/understand the rules does not mean there are no rules.

Does your Saudi boss respect you? As a comparison to the above.

Of course. On the surface.

You know , i was hired for MY knowledge in my particular proffession , i knew who i was and what i was worth , no body , and i mean nobody demeanend me just because he was the boss or the owner , i was always prepared to quit at the drop of a hat , like right now at this second . They hired me for a specific reason , i KNEW more than them and i was an attribute to the buisiness or they would not have hired me in the first place , I made them more money than they thought possible in a short time , customers liked me and if i left they would follow . I proved this on more than one occassion , know who you are and what you are , the rest should be history , and NEVER go back .

You know , i was hired for MY knowledge in my particular proffession , i knew who i was and what i was worth , no body , and i mean nobody demeanend me just because he was the boss or the owner , i was always prepared to quit at the drop of a hat , like right now at this second . They hired me for a specific reason , i KNEW more than them and i was an attribute to the buisiness or they would not have hired me in the first place , I made them more money than they thought possible in a short time , customers liked me and if i left they would follow . I proved this on more than one occassion , know who you are and what you are , the rest should be history , and NEVER go back .

Dumball, that sounds like a speech from a WWE Superstar for SummerSlam ! :o:D

Whatever One may think about Guesthouse, he rarely puts a foot wrong in this arena.

I cannot agree more. :o

Dumball, that sounds like a speech from a WWE Superstar for SummerSlam ! :o:D

Thanks for the complement , but it is the truth , i aided too many champions in my field to be doubted .

I think I get plenty of respect from my Thai coworkers as long as I deserve it but don't demand it... if that makes sense...

and that respect comes from working hard, doing my job well, getting along with people, and being very careful and indirect about any complaints I made. On the whole, I don't think it stacks up much differently than working in an environment back home.

"S"

Too true. So many foreigners walk around like pompous loud mouthed bigoted idiots and wonder why both Thais and foreigners alike dislike them or have no respect for them. If you know your role in Thailand, carry yourself with dignity, and know how to play the system they will respect you a lot for it.

It's the same deal in every culture. Don't open your stupid mouth until you know what is going on around you.

I have only had one Thai boss--although in different jobs, I've had Thai supervisors. The supervisors were quite good. They were knowledgeable and helpful. I think the problem with Thai bosses is often that the position is given to them rather than earned. At least the supervisors I had got their job based on their performance.

The decision making process is very different here, much of the time and so it's more a top-down management system and few people really dare tell the boss he/she is wrong or that there may be a better way to do it. Not a lot of consultation.

I get along with my boss, she relies on me and treats me well--as for respect, deep in the recesses of my mind I don't feel it's out of respect, I feel it's out of necessity. And that, by the way, is perfectly OK.

After reading the above posts, I feel a lot better about my job...

I have a Thai boss whom I respect, she is very squared away and it appears that she respects me and my opinions as well.

She is tough, but fair and is more than willing to admit that she doesn't know everything and expects her staff to know more than her (which isn't easy).

Yes, most of the Thai staff are afraid of her because she is very straightforward and expects everyone to take responsibility for their actions (no face saving allowed).

As for me, I like her leadership style (I have fairly thick skin) and I learn something new everytime she calls me into her office.

Just want to add this:

Its not always perfect, there are times when I think I am right and she overrules me, but its her company and she has that right. The good thing is even if she over rules me or any other employee it is always for a reason and she explains why...

It is lovely to see a modern Thai business model.

Since so many seem to think the old ways will still work in the 21st century.

Nice to see a forward thinking woman moving ahead.

Interesting that the staff are afraid of her,

but that's THEIR cultural inbreeding not hers.

Eventually they will learn to just deal with it.

And that it actually shows them MORE respect than

tiptoeing around issues in the old ways.

Edited by animatic

Before telling the world your Thai boss doesn't respect you, it might be worth taking a moment to consider why not

Because she is my mother-in-law. Duughh

Before telling the world your Thai boss doesn't respect you, it might be worth taking a moment to consider why not

Because she is my mother-in-law. Duughh

I thought he was "asking" ... "why not" ???? .... Duughh .. whatever that means.

NB .. for more intelligent discussion .. please go to Ajarn.com. (Dr PatPooo not invited)

My Thai bosses respected me for what I was, an ajarn in a Thai matayom school. While they lacked much of what I had grown used to in the west (as a government accountant), I had my share of psycho bosses in the West. None of my Thai bosses was outrageous, but they were unanimous in their total incompetence as bosses. Never told their subordinates what they needed to know, did not answer important and pertinent questions. Had no concern for visas, work permits, etc. They dressed well, were overly polite and indirect, never raised their voice, and kept their colossal incompetence as administrators right where it was obvious but unquestioned. Good hearts, well dressed, and loved their Thai food. Could not manage to open a door properly, but they knew whom to wai and how high.