Sense 80

DB84

Saw the launch in Emporium last weekend.

Anybody heard anything about it or have any experiences with it?

Seems cheap at 12.900 a pop with Windows Mobile. I fiddled around with the sales persons Sense 80 and it seems pretty good.

I think the price is 12,900 Baht. Unknown brand and I couldn't find any specs...

For a budget PDA I would recommend the HTC 3400i, does not have a fancy overlay user interface, and it lacks wifi, but all the rest is top notch. WM 6.0, High build quality, excellent sound quality, good GPRS/EDGE connectivity, fast CPU, all you could wish for. A steal at 9,900 Baht IMHO.

monty u might be right but a pda phone these days without wi-fi is just a no-go. at 9,900, they could have included wi-fi.

Probably, but my previous PDA (O2 XDIIs) had wifi, and over the course of 2 years I used it maybe 3 times. In my experience wifi drains the battery so fast usability becomes quite limited.

For most web access, the browser renders the pages slower then the speed the data comes in!

One excellent usage for wifi though is VOIP. GPRS /Edge is a bit too unreliable for that... I actually have quuite a few customers in my resort often chattering away on one of those wifi/voip enabled Nokia models. As business people it saves them heaps of money!

I know it's an uknown brand but it seemed high quality to me, good build, fast processing time etc. I have to say the specs are amazing for that price - incl. wifi btw.

Specs:

Operating System Window Mobile 6.1

Network (MHz) GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900

Dimension (mm.) 102x58x14.9

Weight (g.) 120g

Available colours Black/Silver/White

Display colour 65KSize (pixels, inch)240x320pixel 2.8"

Features Ringtone 64 poly / MP3

Camera 2 MP

Video Player/Video Recording MP4 / 3GP

MP3 Player yes

F.M. RADIO yes

Voice Recorder WAV / AMR / AWB

Messaging SMS/MMS/EMS

E-MAIL Yes

WAP WAP

GPRS GPRS 10

JAVA Organizer YES

Vibration YES

Games 2

Internal memory/Capacity 64MB

External memory MicroSD

Maximum memory capacity 2 GB

BatteryType (mAh) Li-ion1320 mAh

Stand-by time (hours) 250 Hr.

Talk time (hours) 3 Hr.

Connectivity BluetoothV1.2 (Voice/Stereo/Data)

Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g,EDGE,GPS

Direct USB YES

Edited by DB84

I actually saw a big ad on the device (think in Bkk Post) and this prompted me to go out and look for it. Still went for the HTC though, mainly because of the supper strong rubberized finish, low price, and it does most of what I need. And it comes with ThaiWinCE installed so does Thai language perfectly as well...

And I am amazed of the sound quality with the included earbuds, it's better sounding then my Ipod, so went straight back to the shop, bought an 8GB SD card and moved all my music over. Now my media player nicely stops when phone calls come in and picks up again when I press the end call button :o

It is however a stop gap device, kind of like the Samsung Omnia but am waiting for a few more firmware releases to get all the kinks ironed out...

And credit to AIS Edge service, the thing is streaming perfectly from a Belgian located Slingbox after a bit of optimizing, without buffering or break ups!

Monty I love the sound of your slingbox set up. I'll be getting an AIS sim card today as it sounds like their Edge service out shines the current True connection that I'm using. You watching streamed TV via Edge on a PDA - Amazing (I'm jealous).

Edited by bkkmick

Monty I love the sound of your slingbox set up. I'll be getting an AIS sim card today as it sounds like their Edge service out shines the current True connection that I'm using. You watching streamed TV via Edge on a PDA - Amazing (I'm jealous).

Don't get too excited :o

Very small screen and very high compression ratio! Sound on mono low quality! But hey, it works!

It starts out with little compression (i.e. subtitles clearly readable) but then starts optimizing to match available bandwidth, ending up with a very high compression ratio where for example the image is so pixelated that subtitles get hard to read. Perfect for watching the news etc though.

Still jealous. I can't even get RealPlayer to stream BBC Radio 5 via Edge on my N95 (works fine on WiFi).

What bitrate is the stream encoded? I get streams up to 96 kbps through with hardly any re-buffering. Several streams are encoded at 128 or even higher, which gets too close to the limit of what EDGE consistently can deliver over longer periods of time.

BTW, the sling optimizer can get both video stream and audio packed into a 90 kbps stream! As I mentioned above, very high compression/pixelation, but it still streams at maybe 15 FPS...