World Markets Nosedive, Emergency Meeting Called By Thai Finance Minister

george

As expected

but made worse because of Bush's incompetence leading up to it.

He values people LOYAL to him in ALL jobs around him,

more than he values COMPETENT people in positions around him.

He's really screwed the pooch this time. World wide cluster <deleted>.

And this from a registered republican,

unsuccessfully voting for common sense in the GOP during primaries.

I have been living this Bush nightmare for 9 years now,

wondering when the other 3 shoes would drop.

I no longer wonder. Just hope he gets jail time as a legacy.

9 years? That's kindofa a hoot, apparently you forgot about Neil Bush (son of 41, bro of 43) who was at the *FOREFRONT* of the Savings & Loan SCANDAL/COLLAPSE in 1987? Remember 1987? That was Ronnie "Star wars" Ray-Gun's ***SECOND supply-side trickle-down American's legs RECESSION*** in his two terms. Bush 43 tried same-same Ray-Gun warmonger economics with Iraq bla-bla-bla- Ronnie "Star wars" Ray-Gun was also the *START* OF DEREGULATING EVERYTHING leading DIRECTLY to today's mess through Republican idiotlogical mantras exacerbated by absolute power in all branches post millennium bla-bla-bla-. Do what most Republicans do; if you're having a bad day for *ANY* reason, just blame a Clinton, *ANY* Clinton, they've been doing it all morning on CSPAN...now look out Chelsea - lol

Kudos calling for Bush crimes jailtime...it may yet happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45f1Riv_z1I...feature=related

MaiThaiMai

:D:o:D

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really don't see any reason to panic. The market goes down today, then it rebounds and stabilizes. This is what happens. Just watch it go back up again tomorrow.

Thats what people I talk with are saying, but I don't believe it as the futures are already down over 100 points.

Barry

I'm not concerned about the market. my concern is the strength of the dollar.

Barry

Read Pearlstein's column in today's Washington Post. This was about preventing a depression. And all the horrible things a depression means which apparently not enough people have a grasp of. Bernacke, the fed chairman, is a leading scholar of the depression and he wanted the bailout. And the fringe groups of America's left and right which because of the current leadership vacuum in the US constitute a majority of the US congress couldn't get their act together to go along. This is not good. The blame game is ridiculous at this stage: the house is on fire!

BTW, as an American, I apologize for my government. They have failed the entire world.

Jingthing...Seems like a bit of a contradiction to me..

Subscribing to this line of thought leads me , to think, that if the U.S. is to be blamed for all the world's ills, maybe the U.S. should stop every dollar of Foreign aid, repeal Nafta and Gatt, so as not to contaminate the rest of the world. Greed is not just exclusive to the U.S.

LOL so misguided. AID is ONLY provided to countries where opportunity can be had. The US sink their teeth in by demanding the debt to be repaid at interest, in case of countries without the ability to repay with the dollar they cease land and resources and enslave the foreign aid receiving country just like the mafia. Don't be manipulated into thinking they supply aid from the bottom of their hearts.

Greed. The USA is about 4.5 percent of the world's population yet it consumes a vast percentage of the worlds resources i dont have the exact figure over 25 percent. Over half the people in the world survive on less than 2 dollars a day. 90 percent of the world wealth are in the hands of 1 percent of the the population. 50% of the worlds wealth is hoarded by the Jewish Zionist Rothschilds. No sh!t, greed is not exclusive to the US but they are vastly leading the way.

Like a good friend who has worked in the financial field said: "When people are making money, everything is OK; when they lose money, then the lawsuits start." I don't like Bush and his administrations lack of oversight and unwillingness to recognize a problem quite a while ago, accounts for some of the problem. But the markets are still free markets and not the gov'ts fault.

It would help if his policy of spending was matched by a policy of taxing or vice versa, but the next president gets the priviledge of doing that.

In the end, there are a lot of folks getting ready to retire and it's long predicted that there wouldn't be any money left over by them. Guess this may be more correct than I previously thought.

Please ignore the Pepsi versus Coke Party flim-flam of the US elections. Ignore sloppy talk about greed & stupidity. The financial crisis is real, but its cause is the UNCONTROLLED working of capitalist economics, in particular, the deficit banking scam.

Under (unconstitutional, illegal) Federal Reserve banking robbery, banks have the exclusive right to print paper money. It gets to you/us as loans. Government is financed by borrowing money from banks, & it’s paid back by taxes, or more borrowing.

It is quite brutally simple: all monies in circulation are bank borrowings. Let’s make it easy to grasp. Let’s say for every $100 borrowed, $110 must be paid back to banks after one year. That’s the problem, you see? There is never enough money in circulation for population or government to get completely out of debt.

Every year, govs must borrow more money to cover running expenses. It is NOT a problem of govs spending too much. It is a practical impossibility for taxation levels to cover borrowings. If the national debt disappeared, banks would lend out no money, & therefore there would be no money in circulation – an economic disaster.

By the same inescapable arithmetic, an economic slump happens when consolidated borrowings rise beyond the point when they cannot be paid back – as is happening now. The gov can ‘save’ collapsing financial structures by ‘loaning’ money. But that ‘money’ is another IOU that the taxpayer must carry. It is only backed by gov borrowings from other banks, which are more bits of printed paper - a cure that feeds the disease!

Get the picture? I hope so, because if it’s over-simplified, you will not see this kind of basic explanation from media economists. Their job is to throw bulldust in the public’s eyes.

The only long-term solution is for gov to take back the monopoly right to print & issue money. AND, for capitalism to be brought firmly under the control of a truly democratic system, so it is the servant of the people, not its master. And that will take a revolution, like the one that established the USA.

Don’t fancy it? Things are going to get a lot rougher. If you prefer to go on suffering, bleating, & singing “Happy Days Are Here Again” (a great hit of 1929), that’s your choice. When the national debt is big enough, they own you, your children, & maybe great-great-grandchildren. These will be in bonded debt-slavery to a handfull of parasitic, aristocratic mafia banking families.

Subscribing to this line of thought leads me , to think, that if the U.S. is to be blamed for all the world's ills, maybe the U.S. should stop every dollar of Foreign aid, repeal Nafta and Gatt, so as not to contaminate the rest of the world. Greed is not just exclusive to the U.S.

Bye the way...The original Bail out measure was not a panacea. Unfortunately there are those that think something is better then nothing, but I strongly disagree.

I am no fan of Bush, but I will take the opinion of the fed chairman, the president (who was only responding to the treasury secretary and the fed chairman, he doesn't think for himself), the treasury secretary, all of the leaders of both parties in the house and the senate, and pretty much all responsible non-ideological financial experts that this measure was needed. Who said it was a panacea? It is an emergency measure. What I apologize for is how the US political system seems incapable of taking action even in an emergency and this inaction is hurting not only the US, but the entire world. The US government is simply not working, I personally don't blame any one party, there appears to be some kind of political sickness about. I think this is now leading to alot of suffering, yes, many people will die because of this, sorry for being a drama queen, guess I just take after John McCain.

Back to Thailand, when a Thai bank fails, are we going to lose the money we have in our Thai bank accounts?

Like so many others, "I believe in getting it right verses getting it quick. Throwing good money after bad is easy if it's not your money.

As for the future solvency of Thai banks, might I mention that there were reasons my parents and grand parents preferred burying their money in the back yard, rather then trusting it to banks during the great depression. I think there are lessons to be learned from the past.

"An ounce of prevention is worth more then a pound of cure". We, as individuals, have to decide if the return on our money is worth the risk of trusting the banks right now.

For some time now I have put the bulk of my nest egg in small units of gold. Historically as the dollar depreciates, gold appreciates. If my bank fails and they lock their doors, I stand to lose very little, and I will keep it that way. :o

Big Mac Crisis ... LOL!

When we had this kind of Crisis, we called it Tom Yum Kung Crisis. In Italy, should be Pasta Crisis.

since 2005 in thailand it's called the MAMA Noodles Index

If the sales of Mama instant noodles serve as an economic indicator - the so-called Mama Index - the figures in the first quarter this year indicate that people have less to spend.

In fact sales of the instant noodles were strong, but their consumption tends to go in the opposite direction to people's real preference. If consumers have more disposable income they eat instant noodles less often, but if they are short of cash they naturally turn to the affordable instant dish.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/05/25...ss_30035109.php

there also exist a BIG MAC Index: but this is something different

"Burgernomics is based on the theory of purchasing-power parity, the notion that a dollar should buy the same amount in all countries. Thus in the long run, the exchange rate between two countries should move towards the rate that equalises the prices of an identical basket of goods and services in each country. Our "basket" is a McDonald's Big Mac, which is produced in about 120 countries. The Big Mac PPP is the exchange rate that would mean hamburgers cost the same in America as abroad. Comparing actual exchange rates with PPPs indicates whether a currency is under- or overvalued."

http://www.economist.com/markets/bigmac/about.cfm

but a "Big Mac CRISIS" is something new, a new total expression. i came only across on the Bangkok Post business pages in the past few days.. my guess is that the Bangkok Post writer got the expressions wrong or mixed them up wrong. the MAMA Noodles Index could be indeed seen as an indicator for a crisis, but not the Big Mac Index. so the brain and memory played a little bit tricky on the Post writer. such mistakes are normal, can happen to everybody, but should be corrected during proof reading but it didn't got detected by the sub editor. so the Bangkok Post created a new word for it. "Big Mac crisis". SET drops as Big Mac crisis widens http://www.bangkokpost.com/300908_Business...p2008_biz31.php

will be interesting to see if the Bangkok Post will continue to use that neologism or skip it.

time will tell. maybe it even becomes common language for a big fat mega crisis. "Big Mac crisis" is not so erroneous to call it, or not? in a business paper you can trust you will not read it.

side note:

the "big mac" of the "Bic Mac Index" is an international food product, a value meal served in same shape and size in new york, london, prague, bucharest, tokyo, pyongyang, brasil, bogota, patpong an so on. the beauty of globalisation.

the "big mac" of the "Bic Mac crisis" is a derogative term for the "american way of life" and meant to symbolise the obese, vain and greed. the ugliness of globalisation.

do anyone of the TV forum members read the business pages of the Bangkok Post more regular, what does Nuntawun Polkuamdee write about on other days? Big Mac Crisis ... LOL!

As expected

I am no Bushie ... but what about the leftie Muslim aspirant ?

A comment as ignorant as that deserves only scorn and disdain

from any person with half a brain

i am no bushie either ... and what do you aspire to say? a leftie muslim? maybe a nazi-communist who eats little innocent children?? how interesting! will he be the next thai prime minister? or is he the one responsible for the 'nosedive' in the topic? questions over questions.... you owe the forum an answer or two (perhaps a name?)

....its an interesting exercise in seeing paper money (not gold) trails and where they end up....gold is real - and backs up the paper money promise notes - looks like the banks got caught out lending more paper than they had gold to support it.....surely theres a law against that but hey they are banks and a law unto themselves
sorry to correct you, but there is no gold back up since nixon declared 'bankruptcy' in 1971 (vietnam!) history you find here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_standard

Read Pearlstein's column in today's Washington Post. This was about preventing a depression. And all the horrible things a depression means which apparently not enough people have a grasp of. Bernacke, the fed chairman, is a leading scholar of the depression and he wanted the bailout. And the fringe groups of America's left and right which because of the current leadership vacuum in the US constitute a majority of the US congress couldn't get their act together to go along. This is not good. The blame game is ridiculous at this stage: the house is on fire!

BTW, as an American, I apologize for my government. They have failed the entire world.

LOL so misguided. AID is ONLY provided to countries where opportunity can be had. The US sink their teeth in by demanding the debt to be repaid at interest, in case of countries without the ability to repay with the dollar they cease land and resources and enslave the foreign aid receiving country just like the mafia. Don't be manipulated into thinking they supply aid from the bottom of their hearts.

Greed. The USA is about 4.5 percent of the world's population yet it consumes a vast percentage of the worlds resources i dont have the exact figure over 25 percent. Over half the people in the world survive on less than 2 dollars a day. 90 percent of the world wealth are in the hands of 1 percent of the the population. 50% of the worlds wealth is hoarded by the Jewish Zionist Rothschilds. No sh!t, greed is not exclusive to the US but they are vastly leading the way.

Misguided?....No!.....Critical of the US Government?....Yes!....In favor of Wall Street Bailout?....No!

Immediate solution?.....Let the chips fall where they may!....Reason?....A sieve is a sieve!

I will not be prodded into doing something by those forecasting a financial Armageddon, just to refill the Rothschild style piggy bank.

$700 Billion will not solve the problem and those that believe it will, are part of the problem and not part of a real solution.

Only when the ship is truly sinking, will the rats start jumping ship or be thrown overboard by those that hate rats....Then the ship can be put in dry dock and rebuilt from the ground up.

Is it going to hurt us all?....Yes!

For the Thai banks: Well Siam Commercial is incredible weak, they only still exist as an independent entity because the Crown Property bureau is a major shareholder the nationalized banks still have a tier 1 capital which are nowhere near international standards.

Where to get hold of these stats or is it a matter of reading the investor reports?

50% of the worlds wealth is hoarded by the Jewish Zionist Rothschilds.

I didn't realize people were still reading the Elders of Zion propaganda. BTW, that is a ridiculous assertion.

BTW, the wealth these days is flowing to the petro countries, Israel ain't one of them.

Don't be manipulated into thinking they (USA) supply aid from the bottom of their hearts.

That part is true and only little children ever believed that anyway. All countries act in their own national self interest ... DUH.

Edited by Jingthing

As expected

Blaming Bush for everything is BS.

I suppose you blame him for the track hurricane Katrina took also?

The US Congress controls the finance system with various laws, rules and oversight.

Bush has nothing to do with the way the finance system functions

may i add for the esteemed audience: bush has absolutely nothing do do with iraq, afghanistan, nothing with oil, blood, weapons or money and definitely nothing with crisis, politics & lies. HE IS INNOCENT! and our hero of new orleans and 9/11 and guantanamo, where freedom is defended by all means. he stops at nothing...........

50% of the worlds wealth is hoarded by the Jewish Zionist Rothschilds.

I didn't realize people were still reading the Elders of Zion propaganda. BTW, that is a ridiculous assertion.

BTW, the wealth these days is flowing to the petro countries, Israel ain't one of them.

Don't be manipulated into thinking they (USA) supply aid from the bottom of their hearts.

That part is true and only little children ever believed that anyway. All countries act in their own national self interest ... DUH.

I don't think it refers as much to Zion propaganda as it does to those with extreme wealth that wield the societal hammer. :o

ETC - Misguided?....No!.....Critical of the US Government?....Yes!....In favor of Wall Street Bailout?....No!

Immediate solution?.....Let the chips fall where they may!....Reason?....A sieve is a sieve!

I will not be prodded into doing something by those forecasting a financial Armageddon, just to refill the Rothschild style piggy bank.

$700 Billion will not solve the problem and those that believe it will, are part of the problem and not part of a real solution.

Only when the ship is truly sinking, will the rats start jumping ship or be thrown overboard by those that hate rats....Then the ship can be put in dry dock and rebuilt from the ground up.

ETC-> sorry man i think i was misquoted. My response was to

" if the U.S. is to be blamed for all the world's ills, maybe the U.S. should stop every dollar of Foreign aid, repeal Nafta and Gatt, so as not to contaminate the rest of the world. Greed is not just exclusive to the U.S."

If you read my other posts you will see the sentiment is very much in line with your own.

Edited by drayon

Nearly 110 responses George.

While I do agree this is a super-news story of interest to the whole world.....What is the direct relevancy to Thailand News Reports?? Other threads get closed for less - for being non-specific to Thailand.

The original post was about Thailand's repsonse...but now we're into the Uncle Sam stuff...that could go on and on and on..

Edited by thaigene2

ETC - Misguided?....No!.....Critical of the US Government?....Yes!....In favor of Wall Street Bailout?....No!

ETC-> sorry man i think i was misquoted. My response was to

" if the U.S. is to be blamed for all the world's ills, maybe the U.S. should stop every dollar of Foreign aid, repeal Nafta and Gatt, so as not to contaminate the rest of the world. Greed is not just exclusive to the U.S."

If you read my other posts you will see the sentiment is very much in line with your own.

Sorry if I misquoted you. In my previous post I was referring to my personal stance on issues, so there would be no misunderstandings. :o

Nearly 110 responses George.

While I do agree this is a super-news story of interest to the whole world.....What is the direct relevancy to Thailand News Reports?? Other threads get closed for less - for being non-specific to Thailand.

The original post was about Thailand's repsonse...but now we're into the Uncle Sam stuff...that could go on and on and on..

Well, I am no finance guru, but having followed the Sub Prime issues for the last month or so, it seems the Countries most dependant on Credit Supplied from the US are the ones that are going to be affected most.

I would suggest this is why they are having an emergency meeting in Thailand, as I feel Thai Banks rely a lot on credit from overseas banking institutions.

A few more unfinished concrete shells about to appear in Bangkok I feel.

Please ignore the Pepsi versus Coke Party flim-flam of the US elections. Ignore sloppy talk about greed & stupidity. The financial crisis is real, but its cause is the UNCONTROLLED working of capitalist economics, in particular, the deficit banking scam.

Under (unconstitutional, illegal) Federal Reserve banking robbery, banks have the exclusive right to print paper money. It gets to you/us as loans. Government is financed by borrowing money from banks, & it’s paid back by taxes, or more borrowing.

It is quite brutally simple: all monies in circulation are bank borrowings. Let’s make it easy to grasp. Let’s say for every $100 borrowed, $110 must be paid back to banks after one year. That’s the problem, you see? There is never enough money in circulation for population or government to get completely out of debt.

Every year, govs must borrow more money to cover running expenses. It is NOT a problem of govs spending too much. It is a practical impossibility for taxation levels to cover borrowings. If the national debt disappeared, banks would lend out no money, & therefore there would be no money in circulation – an economic disaster.

By the same inescapable arithmetic, an economic slump happens when consolidated borrowings rise beyond the point when they cannot be paid back – as is happening now. The gov can ‘save’ collapsing financial structures by ‘loaning’ money. But that ‘money’ is another IOU that the taxpayer must carry. It is only backed by gov borrowings from other banks, which are more bits of printed paper - a cure that feeds the disease!

Get the picture? I hope so, because if it’s over-simplified, you will not see this kind of basic explanation from media economists. Their job is to throw bulldust in the public’s eyes.

The only long-term solution is for gov to take back the monopoly right to print & issue money. AND, for capitalism to be brought firmly under the control of a truly democratic system, so it is the servant of the people, not its master. And that will take a revolution, like the one that established the USA.

Don’t fancy it? Things are going to get a lot rougher. If you prefer to go on suffering, bleating, & singing “Happy Days Are Here Again” (a great hit of 1929), that’s your choice. When the national debt is big enough, they own you, your children, & maybe great-great-grandchildren. These will be in bonded debt-slavery to a handfull of parasitic, aristocratic mafia banking families.

Great post.

A revolution of knowledge and awareness is the only thing that is going to save us from this parasitic system and I am hopeful that the revolution has already started. The current financial crisis is sharply pulling into focus the fraudulent operations of the federal reserve and other central banks. People are starting to connect the dots and they don't like what they can see.

Great post.

A revolution of knowledge and awareness is the only thing that is going to save us from this parasitic system and I am hopeful that the revolution has already started. The current financial crisis is sharply pulling into focus the fraudulent operations of the federal reserve and other central banks. People are starting to connect the dots and they don't like what they can see.

Yes that is a good post with factual oversight. I do feel the need to correct the point made stating that banks have control to print money. To clarify ONLY the Federal Reserve Bank has the legal right to print money not any "Banks".

As expected

The US Congress controls the finance system with various laws, rules and oversight.

may i add for the esteemed audience: bush has absolutely nothing do do with iraq, afghanistan, nothing with oil, blood, weapons or money and definitely nothing with crisis, politics & lies. HE IS INNOCENT! and our hero of new orleans and 9/11 and guantanamo, where freedom is defended by all means. he stops at nothing...........

A case can be made that the House, Senate and both sides of the aisle share in the guilt. However...it is easier to lay the blame on one person.

When a ship hits an iceberg, the Captain is at fault even though he may not have had physical control of the helm. Leaders are only as good as their immediate support staff and advisers.

I personally think there is enough blame here to pass around to them all. :o

Big Mac Crisis ... LOL! When we had this kind of Crisis, we called it Tom Yum Kung Crisis. In Italy, should be Pasta Crisis.
you are in fact a 'realgoodgirl'. only after your reasonable post was edited it perfectly conforms to the forum rules. no trolling! perfect on topic! there is no crisis on thai visa......you can be rest assured that all is in total control, no need to panic, just close your eyes and dream on.....the good uncles ben & sam will watch over your sleep

....its an interesting exercise in seeing paper money (not gold) trails and where they end up....gold is real - and backs up the paper money promise notes - looks like the banks got caught out lending more paper than they had gold to support it.....surely theres a law against that but hey they are banks and a law unto themselves
sorry to correct you, but there is no gold back up since nixon declared 'bankruptcy' in 1971 (vietnam!) history you find here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_standard

If I remember correctly Kennedy took USA off the Gold Standard back in the 60's.

Nixon just finished the job big time.

As expected

If you mean Obama I don't believe he ever was muslim.

If you said southern baptist or evangelical I a might believe you.

But the muslims will hate him less. Good news.

And he is pretty darned middle of the street.

McCain just wants you to think he's leftist

In France he'd be a arche conservative.

This was coming on for a LOOONG time, well before Obama ever ran for office.

Bush and his policies actively prevented repairing something that had been building since

BEFORE Clinton's time. Clinton tried to stop it and they tried to stop Clinton.

Newt Gingrich and his lackeys also prevented this being slowed.

But in our current situation Bush has made his 'loyalty to him before

job competence' mantra a world shuddering catastrophy,

and not coincidentally is giving some opportunities for huge pay days

for some of his friends during the salvage cycle.

Which is one of the reasons the Dems cancelled this last bill.

As expected

Wrong! You are being simplistic.

Bush has had lots of power over that financial regulation situation for much of this time.

Right up until the last congressional election.

Congress makes rules. Excecutive enforces them... as it sees fit.

But the Bushies controlled house, senate and executive for much of the last 8 years.

Plus he controls the Justice Dept and the SEC, not to mention EPA...

and several other iMPLIMENTATION and watchdog departments.

He emasculated most of them to suit his image of 'hands off smaller government.'

He has put hacks and cronies in and they have screwed the pooch keeping him happy.

He had no hand in the direction Katrina took.

But the rank amatuer IDIOT he put in charge of FEMA

caused many unnecessary deaths by sheer utter incompetence.

And he stood behind the 'loyal fool "He's a great guy, doing a great job here."

until it became obvious the screams were getting LOUD.

Edited by animatic

European and Asian markets will struggle in the short term, but in the long term will benefit since they will no longer be wasting their own productivity to support the dying US economy. See "Crash Proof" by Peter Schiff.

Just on lost new car sales to US/North America,

European and Asian car makers will suffer greatly last quarter 08 and all of 09

BMW Plans U.S. Belt Tightening As Sales Slow

http://blogs.edmunds.com/csx/2008/09/bmw-p...sales-slow.html

Edited by nickh

Only Prime Ministers go to jail.

Presidents resign, or get impeached, and then get pardoned.

Review your history. :o

in america there is a death penalty on war crimes and/or acts of terrorism. give him to 'conan the terminator' in california, he rarely pardons anyone. the required confessions can be achieved thru 'waterboarding' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterboarding. the cia can do this and the justice department had authorized this procedure. this will be the perfect legacy. "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth"......because he is so very much christian. perhaps he will find a mild judge who allows him on bail to visit the olympic games and play football with other bail jumpers. glad if all his assets are frozen by the government, so he cannot loose anything in market turmoils but can demand the return of the last satang after..........