New Delhi Indian Food Restaurant

uonly81

JUST READ ABT THIS NEW PLACE IN CHIANG MAI.....I TRIED THERE THIS AFTERNOON...NAANS ARE GOOD,CURRY TASTE LIKE HOME COOKED.....OFCURSE HV TO WAIT LITTLE ..THEY TOLD ME,THEY COOK EVERYTHING FRESH STARTING FROM CHOPPING ....KARI PAKORA WAS VERY NICE AS THEY RECOMMENDED ....HV ANYONE TRIED RECENTLY....

JUST READ ABT THIS NEW PLACE IN CHIANG MAI.....I TRIED THERE THIS AFTERNOON...NAANS ARE GOOD,CURRY TASTE LIKE HOME COOKED.....OFCURSE HV TO WAIT LITTLE ..THEY TOLD ME,THEY COOK EVERYTHING FRESH STARTING FROM CHOPPING ....KARI PAKORA WAS VERY NICE AS THEY RECOMMENDED ....HV ANYONE TRIED RECENTLY....

Please try not to shout about it. By the way, they don't charge you by the letter for your posts on TV so you could leave the vowels in next time you want to do some advertising.

Please try not to shout about it. By the way, they don't charge you by the letter for your posts on TV so you could leave the vowels in next time you want to do some advertising.

Furthermore, there was a thread about the same place with the last of 20 posts made less than a week ago :o You can find it here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Excellent-Cu...ml#entry2238370

/ Priceless

it is a nice place indeed. The guy who owns it is very welcoming and the food can be cooked English or Delhi style

Being British we opted for Delhi, and it was very nice, if a little too rich

The wait is good, as you know the food is f-f-f-fresh

>>>>> Hindlay Curry House off Gaewnawarat Road, Soi 2 is well worth a try.

It seems strange that only newbies are praising this place when there are so many Indian restaurants in town.

Could it be an advertisement? :o

If it is an advertisement, who cares so long as it is not overdone? So long as we get to know about new places we can try them out and form our own opinion.

It seems that if someone reccomends a place it must be the owner or a friend and if someone slags off a place they must be a rival! :D

I tried this place out last night.

Right enough I had to wait quite a long time for my food (about 45 mins - 1 hour).

I had...

chicken pakora - was ok, pieces were quite small but there was a lot of them. sauce was nice. 80B

mutton daliwala - sauce was tasty but it was a little shy of meat. 140B

plain naan - good size, nice bread. 30B

yellow rice - little bit too oily. 40B

1 large Heineken 80B

7/10

A little bit pricey, but you got to expect that for Indian food in Chiang Mai especially in that kind of area, right?

As usual I ate too much and felt bloated for the rest of the night!

• 2 months later...

Ate there last night, and have to say it was the worst food I've had in CM...

The rice was hard (crunchy) and cold, and kind of clumped together, like it had been standing out at room temp for the last couple of hours. This is probably the easiest way of getting food poisoning and a bad case of New Delhi belly.

I told the Indian owner, and he said "that's how Indian rice is, it's different to Thai rice"...

uhhh, having spent a LOT of time in India, I don't think you could make ANY excuse to justify just how bad it was, and the only person he was convincing with that was himself! He swapped the bowl with another, that was exactly the same as the first. Yuk. Disgusting! i didn't touch it past the first mouthful.

The chicken was dry, and tasteless. The pakora and popadams tasted chewy, as though they had come out of a microwave.

Waayyyy to much salt on everything.

this is not the way to build up a regular clientel, and no way to stay in business. In a town full of such good restaurants and great tasting food, it's hard to have a meal as bad as this one was. :o

Avoid, avoid, avoid!

I tried this place out last night.

Right enough I had to wait quite a long time for my food (about 45 mins - 1 hour).

A little bit pricey, but you got to expect that for Indian food in Chiang Mai especially in that kind of area, right?

As usual I ate too much and felt bloated for the rest of the night!

This was more my experience.

One thing I don't like is that they don't offer the Thalis (sets) at night, so I ended up spending 400 baht, instead of 150 to make up my own meal. I think that is is slightly better than the Royal India which is right behind it, but the Royal serves Thalis all of the time and I rather save the money for the slight difference in quality.

Edited by Ulysses G.

The rice was hard (crunchy) and cold, and kind of clumped together, like it had been standing out at room temp for the last couple of hours. This is probably the easiest way of getting food poisoning and a bad case of New Delhi belly.

I told the Indian owner, and he said "that's how Indian rice is, it's different to Thai rice"...

uhhh, having spent a LOT of time in India, I don't think you could make ANY excuse to justify just how bad it was, and the only person he was convincing with that was himself! He swapped the bowl with another, that was exactly the same as the first. Yuk. Disgusting! i didn't touch it past the first mouthful.

The chicken was dry, and tasteless. The pakora and popadams tasted chewy, as though they had come out of a microwave.

Waayyyy to much salt on everything.

this is not the way to build up a regular clientel, and no way to stay in business. In a town full of such good restaurants and great tasting food, it's hard to have a meal as bad as this one was. :o

Avoid, avoid, avoid!

I have eaten there many many times as do my friends I just had a takeout there and as usual the food was VERY GOOD and I find the above post to be a little harsh saying to avoid when in reality while it may not have been up to your standard if you read the multiple posts on this restaurant most are very very good reviews and for indian food in Chiang Mai you cant really find much better than this so give it a try the owner is VERY VERY accomodating and in the very few instances I have had an issue he has bent over backwards to appease me and correct anything that was not to my liking.

Edited by FarangCravings

Avoid, avoid, avoid!

The only advice I would give anyone about anything is, ‘Never Take Advice from Anyone!’ Always go ahead and make your own decisions and form your own judgements. One man’s rubbish is another man’s gold and all that!

So many people don’t do things and don’t go to places based on the advice of others. At the end of the day, if you live your life like that, then you might just be missing out on all kinds of valuable experiences, both good and bad, but hey, at least they’re yours.

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

it is a nice place indeed. The guy who owns it is very welcoming and the food can be cooked English or Delhi style

Being British we opted for Delhi, and it was very nice, if a little too rich

The wait is good, as you know the food is f-f-f-fresh

>>>>> Hindlay Curry House off Gaewnawarat Road, Soi 2 is well worth a try.

Hinlay Curry House is more Burmese/Thai, despite the dish names. Even the name means 'curry' in Burmese.