Bringing Weapons Into Thailand & Obtaining A License ...

rainman

I have 2 hunting rifles (inherited from my father, both of which are quite valuable) sitting in my home country since a few years. Since I plan on living in Thailand for a while, I'd like to bring them here. I'm not planning on hunting anything in Thailand, but possibly going to a shooting range every 1-2 months if at all since they're more like collector pieces than every-day use weapons.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where to start in Thailand about obtaining a license and importing them. Does anyone know where to start? I have read somewhere that foreigners are not allowed to possess weapons in Thailand. Is that true? If so, that creates a bit of a problem, but I'm hoping there is a possibility to obtain a weapons permit and being able to import them.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any kind of advice :o

Unfortunately, I have no idea where to start in Thailand about obtaining a license and importing them. Does anyone know where to start? I have read somewhere that foreigners are not allowed to possess weapons in Thailand. Is that true? If so, that creates a bit of a problem, but I'm hoping there is a possibility to obtain a weapons permit and being able to import them.

Incorrect.

A foreigner can own a firearm, and obtain a firearm license.

You will need a good reason, such as your work requires you to move large amounts of cash from place to place (I think the accepted figure is 1 Mil Baht) on a regular basis.

There was a thread on thaivisa about nine months ago explaining the procedure, written by a foreigner that claimed he did it.

Cheers,

Soundman. :D

I have 2 hunting rifles (inherited from my father, both of which are quite valuable) sitting in my home country since a few years. Since I plan on living in Thailand for a while, I'd like to bring them here. I'm not planning on hunting anything in Thailand, but possibly going to a shooting range every 1-2 months if at all since they're more like collector pieces than every-day use weapons.

Have you spoken to a Doctor about your problem?

What problem?

Myself I scorn those who want a gun/weapon for 'self defence', or those whom might possibly be wanting one to use against a person for whatever reason.

But the OP clearly wants his gun(s) for other reasons such as going to a shooting range (Sport) and for sentimental reasons. Without ever having met the OP I would hazard a guess that he comes across as responsible and experienced enough to own such a weapon safely and without threat to another person. Of course I may be wrong here but that is up to the authorities to decide, not you and I.

And in saying that I have a permit to use a potentially lethal weapon myself, that permit is my driving licence as should I wish to do so I could easily jump in my car and mow down a few pedestrians.

I have noticed that you seem to flame/criticise anybody who does not share the same thoughts as yourself and so perhaps it is you who should see a Dr.

Dude, the OP was asking a fair and reasonable question.

**EDIT**

dam_n me for biting. Too late now.

Edited by globalj

If you don't have permanent residency, forget about it, and even then it is more than difficult.

And if they are valuable collectors items, you will have a hard time to catch up with oiling them in this climate - in rain season leave them untreated for a few days because you go somewhere, and rust sets in.

Burglaries are a massive problem as well here.

What problem would that be? You've got to be more specific here.

I'm not looking to shoot innocent little bunnies in the hills of northern Thailand. As I stated, they are more like collector pieces (hand carved and with gold) than anything else. Of course, they're also fully functional weapons but not something you should be using every day.

I have been offered 20k+ in the past for one of them, but I don't want to sell them unless absolutely necessary, because as I said I inherited them from my father and I don't have a lot left from my father, so they mean a lot to me in terms of sentimental value. :D To give you a picture:

001.jpg

If I do bring them to Thailand, they will remain locked in safely.

I have been thinking about contacting the Customs office in regards to importing them, but I doubt they would know anything about the weapons permit. If anyone knows who is responsible for issuing weapons permits in Thailand, then I could start there. The police maybe? :o

Rainman; Looking at the picture your rifle looks like it is one of those you want to pass on to your children??? (English made)???? Dont know where you are from but I would find a reputable sporting arms dealer and leave it with them. This is of course if you have no family or friend you would care to leave it with.

Rainman; Looking at the picture your rifle looks like it is one of those you want to pass on to your children??? (English made)???? Dont know where you are from but I would find a reputable sporting arms dealer and leave it with them. This is of course if you have no family or friend you would care to leave it with.

Sort of, yeah. They've already been with a top arms dealer in my home country in Europe for the past about ...11 years? Something like that. Regular cleaning, etc. being done as well. But I don't want to leave them there for my whole life, obviously. And I have no plans of moving to my home country in the near future either. They're a Mauser .30-06 and a Merkel Drilling, both German-made.

Thats a very fine piece you got there. Definately more 'art' than a hunting rifle (in other words this isn't what Bubba would use to hunt possums for supper), and I can see why you are attached to them. Pieces like that are becoming extremely rare; there aren't alot of the original German mauser actions available, and not alot of people left who still have the knowledge of how to do the engravings. I would be so scared about bringing those to Thailand, though. I would be afraid customs might try and nab them and sell them off, as they are obviously very valuable. And I would be afraid someone would break into your home, and you would lose a piece of your family history. I know how you feel about wanting your rifles around you, but I would suggest just taking a picture, rather than risk losing them.

P.S. here's a picture of my Mauser 98 in .308 Winchester (I am assuming yours is also a model 98 as it is the only one capable of withstanding the pressures of a .30-06--and yes I know the picture you posted is not of a Mauser):

MauserRifle.JPG

Edited by submaniac

Yeah, that picture I posted is of the Merkel :o I am a bit concerned mainly about Customs in Thailand, that's why I want to make sure the paperwork and everything is in order and the right permits and everything are in place. It's just a bit difficult to even find out where to start. I've got the export permissions in my home country in less than a week, but here it seems it'll be a bit more difficult.

My plan is to bring them back with me when I go for holiday to my home country in February 2009, so I wouldn't leave them out of my sight except for when they go into the airplane cargo.

I might first of all have my wife get a license here, if I can't get one, and then see how we would go about it from there. I doubt she would even be able to hold up that rifle, though, so I don't know how we would tell Customs or whoever that it's hers. :D