Taxi Strike At Suvarnabhumi Airport

george

If the public taxi area at the airport was clearly indicated and they stopped all the freelancers driving all the newly arrived tourists crazy it would work. The public taxis you get are normally good as the desk at the airport takes the taxi number. Not too difficult and surely somebody with "influence" can see that cheating the tourists the moment they arrive in Thailand is not a good way for people to start their holiday. Am I dreaming ?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a neighbor he runs a private Taxi service from the Airport i.e. no meter.

Charges 4000 BHT to Pattaya! runs there and back 3-4 times per day.

Once asked him to pick up a friend expecting to get a special price,

he quoted me 3800 so of course I told him to park his Taxi somewhere and went myself.

But he didn't care cos he always finds some new be Tourist willing to pay.

And there's the rub I think...

We all stand here blaming the taxi drivers, and yes I am the first one to say that I think the majority are a bunch of (add your own expletive here please), with neither driving sense, commoen sense or just a basic sense of decency, but at the end of the day when there are tourists willing to pay what they tell them is the going rate, is it really their fault for making some extra cash?

Ok, granted maybe the example given this is an extreme (or perhaps exagerated) case, but Johnny Foreigner isn't being frog marched to the taxi, he has the options...

• He could use one of the "Limo" guys (who are a LITTLE less mercinary that thier friends outside). But, as we all do, he assumes that these are the bad guys and walks straight past them.
  • He could question the price (Ok maybe after a 12 hour flight, 12 bloody mary's, three meals, no sleep and only the promise of some "love you long time" keeping him going, this is probably too much to ask),

Or even.. get this...

• Ask another driver for a price!

And don't think this is an isolated to Thailand. Whoever said earlier that "you don't get this in Singapore and Malaysia", I think you need to do some homework.

In the 4 or 5 times I have flown to KL I have either had to pay through the nose for a rail service that conveniently manages to land you in a part of town not even the locals would choose to stay in (thus forcing you to take an overpriced taxi to your hotel) or you throw caution to the wind and use of the "taxi meesta?" guys, who is going to ferry you the 45 minutes plus to the city in some clapped out heap-o-crap with "Wail Music FM" screeching away on the stereo.

The only other option is to take the licenced "Limo" to the city.. and then you may as well just hand them your wallet and wave whatever beer thoughts you had straight away.

And it isn't so different in Blighty. Manchester to Huddersfield is GBP 54.

Thats Pre-Booked.

During the day.

Add another GBP 10 for out of hours (10pm to 5am)

THATS 30 miles for about 3500 Baht! The train (unless you are travelling alone) is even more expensive than that!!

For once I am going to side with Somchai Taxi Man, they have a hard time of it, they often take home little more than a basic wage after paying various local gangs "tea money" so that they can park or pick up in certain areas, they have to pay day rent for the car, and thats on top of the other associated fines that go with the job. Yes they drive bad and yes they clog up the roads day and night, but at least you can see them unlike thier two wheeled death loving cousins.

Anyone who thinks the new rail link is going to solve the problem of the airport taxis IMHO is sadly mistaken.

1. The new rail service does not go all the way into the airport, so unles there is going to be a fleet of buses ferrying those poor tourists to the station then the taxi drivers will be there with thier hands out.
  2. Not all the tourists, get this, want to head for the smog, stink and overpriced nightlife of Bangkok. Some of them want to keep thier lungs intact for a few more weeks!

Making life hel_l for travellers is not the way to do things.

What will be happening if, or when, the rail link will be opened?

Because be certain that lots of passemgers will choose for this transport, and forget about taxi's

It happened in very many airports in the world.

Desperate measures, because they know their time will soon be up.

As soon as the rail link is finished, taxis be damned. :D

I'm not so sure about that. OK, so you get the train to Makkasan Station and get your bags down to street level. Next you want to go to a hotel in one of the lower Sukhumvit Rd sois, so what do you do? you call a taxi and load your bags in !! At certain times of the day Petchburi Rd, Ratchada Rd. Asoke, Sukhumvit Rd, and Soi 3 are traffic choked. It could take longer to get to your hotel from Makkasan Station (which is a little further North than Petchburi) than it does to get from the airport to the station. IMO many people will still choose the taxi from the airport straight to their hotel option.

The discussion on this forum is about the taxi strike and travel between Bangkok and Swampy. Whatever generous contributions you want to make to your local Taxi Mafia after that is your business. :o

Personally, I will choose a hotel near the BTS or BRT. By the way, there are a number of hotels right at Makkasan station: 3-4 stars. Taxis still be damned.

Edited by toptuan

I personally never experience problems with getting taxis too or from Suvarnabhumi airport. I fly in and out up to 20 times a year. The touts in the airport are annoying for sure, and getting ever closer to the arrivals hall, I think they'll be meeting me off the plane soon! But avoiding them is easy. Once at the Taxi Meter stand the service is efficient and prompt. I live a 500 baht ride away from the airport. I never have issues with no meter. Living out in the sticks, train or BTS is never going to be an option for me. I like to heave my case into the taxi outside my home and heave it out at the arrivals floor of the airport.

Paul

Is there anyone on the ground at "Swampy" that can advise if taxi's are available?

I am going to do my own little protest and take the bus to Pattaya via Mochit bus station instead of a taxi....just wondering if I will be able to get a taxi to the bus station or shall I prepare for a motorbike ride. :o

I will arrive about 12.00 PM Saturday.

Tanks alot.

Don't go to Mochit from Suvarnabhumi, it's in the wrong direction for Pattaya. There's probably a bus from the airport direct, or if not, then from Ekamai bus station.

I have flown in and out of Bangkok's international airports 2 or 3 times each year for the last 10 years and never had any problems with taxis. I always use the standard taxis with meter. Sometimes the driver asks if he should use the meter. I smile politely and say yes.

The replies on Thaivisa.com often give an unbalanced view.

Reading some of this I begin to wonder just "which" Bangkok some of these people are talking about --- have lived here for over 3 years with 4--5 flights in/out each year on business ----- have never encountered one taxi who attempted to not use meter !!! not one!

I must be the luckiest guy on earth..............

I have a neighbor he runs a private Taxi service from the Airport i.e. no meter.

Charges 4000 BHT to Pattaya! runs there and back 3-4 times per day.

Once asked him to pick up a friend expecting to get a special price,

he quoted me 3800 so of course I told him to park his Taxi somewhere and went myself.

But he didn't care cos he always finds some new be Tourist willing to pay.

Must have been the same guy that tried that on me. Asked him if I had buffalo written on my forehead.

Got someone to agree to take me for 1400 and they pay the toll.

I have flown in and out of Bangkok's international airports 2 or 3 times each year for the last 10 years and never had any problems with taxis. I always use the standard taxis with meter. Sometimes the driver asks if he should use the meter. I smile politely and say yes.

Reading some of this I begin to wonder just "which" Bangkok some of these people are talking about --- have lived here for over 3 years with 4--5 flights in/out each year on business ----- have never encountered one taxi who attempted to not use meter !!! not one!

I must be the luckiest guy on earth..............

You must be. I had these guys try to rip me off with my Thai wife with me.

This is something that has wound me up for a long time, and I'm very glad to hear that something is finally being done about it. If these greedy bastards can't accept that they have a meter installed for a reason (so that Thais *and* foreigners know they are paying a fair rate for their journey!), they shouldn't be driving taxis at all - and certainly shouldn't be allowed to greet and collect foreigners that have just arrived in Thailand. Most foreigners aren't that stupid (well, not all of them, anyway!) that they don't realise that refusing to start the meter means they'll likely end up paying more than the standard price.

I know full well the taxi fare from my favourite hotel in BKK to the airport on the meter is around 170-180baht, so when I arrive back from abroad and am told they want 500baht to take me back in the other direction, I'm just a little bit miffed. Anyone who says that 500baht is still reasonable 'because foreigners can afford it' or 'because that's a reasonable price for a foreigner' just proves their inadequate grasp of economics, and they deserve to be ripped off wherever they go! If I knew it was illegal for a taxi driver to offer 'off-the-meter' charges and refuse to use their meter, next time I'll go find a thamrewat and tip them the 500baht to go and arrest/hassle any taxis that try to.

Also, I object to the 'additional' 50baht they add to the fare when they do agree to use the meter - the one time I managed to get a taxi driver to use his meter, I failed to spot the small print on the sign at the taxi queue and ended up having a small disagreement with the driver who appeared to be asking for more than the meter said (and his erratic/dangerous driving didn't deserve a tip either!). I realised on a subsequent trip that he was right to ask for it, but what's it all about? Surely the meter charge has been set so that they can make a reasonable profit and support their families?! Needless to say, I now avoid supporting the ungrateful ****s by making sure I have a friend with a car pick me up from the airport whenever I arrive, although I'm still happy using taxis (on the meter of course) for everything else in Bangkok.

And as the other poster said, it's also about trying to improve the image of Thailand as a tourist destination. When tourists arrive fresh in Thailand and their first experience of the Thai people is a whole rank of taxis whose drivers who are all refusing to use their meters, and all clearly asking for 'foreign' prices, these visitors will start their holiday with a bad impression of Thai people. In some cases they will go home to tell all their friends and family how they got ripped off at the airport as soon as they arrived (even though their trip may otherwise have been fairly cheap and enjoyable).

For example, a friend who is coming to visit next month said there are two things he's most worried about - 'corruption and diseases'. I doubt he'll have anything to worry about medically, and I think it's more the stories of police corruption he's concerned about, but I plan to pick him and his friends up from the airport myself anyway. I don't fancy having to explain the pros and cons of 'the way things work here' at the taxi rank at arrivals (within their first hour of being here!). I'd rather explain it all to them slowly and properly once they've overcome the flight etc. I'd much rather they understand the corruption picture as a whole (i.e. how and why corruption has become part of the Thai culture and how it affects Thai people at all levels of Thai society etc. and how it's unlikely to get any better given the current administration!!). I'd just rather they didn't spend the rest of their short holiday assuming that every Thai they meet is untrustworthy.

I live in Samui.

Do taxi drivers actually have to use their meters on the mainland?

:o:D :D

It has actually been sighted first hand.

If I wait in the taxi que at Suvanabhumi

I can get in a meter taxi and the meter actually goes on.

I know of now meter on, on Samui even with the new surcharge in effect.

I'm not so sure about that. OK, so you get the train to Makkasan Station and get your bags down to street level. Next you want to go to a hotel in one of the lower Sukhumvit Rd sois, so what do you do? you call a taxi and load your bags in !! At certain times of the day Petchburi Rd, Ratchada Rd. Asoke, Sukhumvit Rd, and Soi 3 are traffic choked. It could take longer to get to your hotel from Makkasan Station (which is a little further North than Petchburi) than it does to get from the airport to the station. IMO many people will still choose the taxi from the airport straight to their hotel option.

Or ride the train to the interchange with the North Line (Phaya Thai I think), change lines and ride back to Sukhumvit. Further to travel, but probably quicker.

As far as schlepping your bags goes...don't carry so much shit with you. Unbelievable the amount of crap some people travel with...

I can see that the BTS gates are not luggage friendly. However, there is the nice "BTS cop" always standing there who will be happy to open the gate for you, and help you get your luggage through.

The train line from the airport is not going to kill off the taxi business there. It will reduce it some.

Or ride the train to the interchange with the North Line (Phaya Thai I think), change lines and ride back to Sukhumvit. Further to travel, but probably quicker.

As far as schlepping your bags goes...don't carry so much shit with you. Unbelievable the amount of crap some people travel with...

I can see that the BTS gates are not luggage friendly. However, there is the nice "BTS cop" always standing there who will be happy to open the gate for you, and help you get your luggage through.

The train line from the airport is not going to kill off the taxi business there. It will reduce it some.

Yeah in 18 months or so when they open it.

Yeah in 18 months or so when they open it.

55555 - there is that small complication :o

AOT needs to get a handle on the taxi situation overall.

My suggestions:

1) Eliminate the 50 THB tax for taxis departing from the taxi queue

2) More informative signage directing passengers to the lower level for outbound taxis

3) Institute a real taxi queue instead of those stupid desks...like most major airports, you just get in the queue, taxis are lined up and ready to go, you take the taxi at the front of the line. No paper required, needs one person administering the head of the queue.

4) Strictly enforce the "no passengers from the departures level" rule...for both taxis and touts. Without too much effort this could be enforced for private cars as well. The arrivals level driveway is usually all but deserted.

"Meter or not meter" is not AOT's problem.

Some 300 taxi drivers block road to Suvarnabhumi Airport

SUVARNABHUMI: -- Some 300 taxi drivers block roads to Suvarnbhumi Airport on Thursday to protest police who they said arrested them for not using meters when being hired to go out of Bangkok.

The blockage of the roads to arrival and departure lounges which are on the second and fourth floors respectively forced many people both Thais and foreigners to get off their vehicles and walked to the lounges.

-- The Nation 2008--0-02

What a bunch of PRIMA DONNAS mind you Taxi Drivers round the world are mostly a bunch of moaning <deleted> I suppose I would be sitting on my arse all day/night with nothing else to do but moan about things and when something in the slightest goes wrong join in the Mass Hysteria that is a Taxi Drivers want.

Just one question:

The average rate to Pattaya is 1500 Baht (without turning on the meter).

Does anybody know how much the meter rate wud be ?

From: http://www.bangkokpost.com/040708_Business...l2008_biz32.php

he starting rate for taxis yesterday rose to 35 baht for the first kilometre instead of two kilometres before.

The fares would then be increased to five baht per kilometre for the second to twelfth kilometres, 5.50 baht a kilometre for the 12th to 20th km, six baht a kilometre for the 20th to 40th km, 6.50 baht a kilometre for the 40th to 60th km, 7.50 baht a kilometre for the 60th to 80th km, and 8.50 baht a kilometre beyond that.

...so this would be for estimated 110 km:

35 for the first km

5 * 11 = 55 to km 12

5.50 * 8 = 44 to km 20

6.50 * 20 = 130 to km 40

7.50 * 40 = 300 to km 80

8.50 * 30 = 255 to km 110

Total = 819 Baht...AND the rates above are a proposed increase of the existing rates, so it would be even cheaper at the moment. I cannot find the present rates anywhere on the internet...

Just one question:

The average rate to Pattaya is 1500 Baht (without turning on the meter).

Does anybody know how much the meter rate wud be ?

Last time I checked it was less than 700Baht single, but the guy then needs to pray for a ride back.

If U manage to hitch back to BKK from PTY Sukhunvit it is often dirt cheap

Why peaple are using Taxis? There is a Public Bus for free from the Air Port to the Bus Terminal and than you can use the Bus to Pattaya for a hundert and something Baht. Not long time and the construction of the Sky train will be finished and you have a another way to the Ekkamai bus Terminal. No need for "Taxi Mafia" anymore. The Police should revoke every Taxidriver Protesters theyr License for Lifetime. So it would be ending with all that bu... s...t

Why peaple are using Taxis? There is a Public Bus for free from the Air Port to the Bus Terminal and than you can use the Bus to Pattaya for a hundert and something Baht. Not long time and the construction of the Sky train will be finished and you have a another way to the Ekkamai bus Terminal. No need for "Taxi Mafia" anymore. The Police should revoke every Taxidriver Protesters theyr License for Lifetime. So it would be ending with all that bu... s...t

Last time in Bangkok I had a Taxi driver spoke perfect English Gave us his card never ripped us of when we phoned he gave us a time and was there within in 5 minutes of his time used the meter all the time and did not drive like a bloody idiot

Gave him a good tip at the end which he was not expecting but thanked me and my Thai wife very much so I think it depends on which taxi driver you get

This is something that has wound me up for a long time, and I'm very glad to hear that something is finally being done about it. If these greedy bastards can't accept that they have a meter installed for a reason (so that Thais *and* foreigners know they are paying a fair rate for their journey!), they shouldn't be driving taxis at all - and certainly shouldn't be allowed to greet and collect foreigners that have just arrived in Thailand. Most foreigners aren't that stupid (well, not all of them, anyway!) that they don't realise that refusing to start the meter means they'll likely end up paying more than the standard price.

I know full well the taxi fare from my favourite hotel in BKK to the airport on the meter is around 170-180baht, so when I arrive back from abroad and am told they want 500baht to take me back in the other direction, I'm just a little bit miffed. Anyone who says that 500baht is still reasonable 'because foreigners can afford it' or 'because that's a reasonable price for a foreigner' just proves their inadequate grasp of economics, and they deserve to be ripped off wherever they go! If I knew it was illegal for a taxi driver to offer 'off-the-meter' charges and refuse to use their meter, next time I'll go find a thamrewat and tip them the 500baht to go and arrest/hassle any taxis that try to.

Also, I object to the 'additional' 50baht they add to the fare when they do agree to use the meter - the one time I managed to get a taxi driver to use his meter, I failed to spot the small print on the sign at the taxi queue and ended up having a small disagreement with the driver who appeared to be asking for more than the meter said (and his erratic/dangerous driving didn't deserve a tip either!). I realised on a subsequent trip that he was right to ask for it, but what's it all about? Surely the meter charge has been set so that they can make a reasonable profit and support their families?! Needless to say, I now avoid supporting the ungrateful ****s by making sure I have a friend with a car pick me up from the airport whenever I arrive, although I'm still happy using taxis (on the meter of course) for everything else in Bangkok.

And as the other poster said, it's also about trying to improve the image of Thailand as a tourist destination. When tourists arrive fresh in Thailand and their first experience of the Thai people is a whole rank of taxis whose drivers who are all refusing to use their meters, and all clearly asking for 'foreign' prices, these visitors will start their holiday with a bad impression of Thai people. In some cases they will go home to tell all their friends and family how they got ripped off at the airport as soon as they arrived (even though their trip may otherwise have been fairly cheap and enjoyable).

For example, a friend who is coming to visit next month said there are two things he's most worried about - 'corruption and diseases'. I doubt he'll have anything to worry about medically, and I think it's more the stories of police corruption he's concerned about, but I plan to pick him and his friends up from the airport myself anyway. I don't fancy having to explain the pros and cons of 'the way things work here' at the taxi rank at arrivals (within their first hour of being here!). I'd rather explain it all to them slowly and properly once they've overcome the flight etc. I'd much rather they understand the corruption picture as a whole (i.e. how and why corruption has become part of the Thai culture and how it affects Thai people at all levels of Thai society etc. and how it's unlikely to get any better given the current administration!!). I'd just rather they didn't spend the rest of their short holiday assuming that every Thai they meet is untrustworthy.

You appear to be quite ill informed for someone attempting to reflect himself as an experienced Thai traveler. That is unless you spend all of your time immersed in your "Farang Culture" bubble at the local bar. :o

Anyone traveling to another country should not have been released from their mother's care if they think ANY country is perfect or Shangrila. Simply if they feel unsure of their destination either research or cancellation are their options, just don't stay at home as statistically most accidents occur within a radius of 1 km of your home. :D

So how am I supposed to get from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang if there are no taxis? I arrive at BKK after midnight and have to catch a flight out of DMK at 9:30. As far as I know the buses don't start until around seven in the morning. Will this be enought time to make my flight in Don Muang? Last time I just caught a taxi from BKK around 2 AM and waited and caught a few ZZZ's at DMK. It was a long wait but at least there was no worry about missing my flight. I don't remember if the taxi had a meter (or used it) but I think the fare was only about 500Baht. Does that sound about right? How long will this strike go on. Any ideas out there about alternative transportation?

Reminds me of a few years ago when i arrived in Bangkok after a 25 hour flight and was pretty tired but still not at my destination.

I got a taxi to the northern bus station near Chat t Chat and was going to get a 7 hour bus ride (after waiting an hour or two for a bus with all my gear)

The bus driver asked me where my final destination was. I told him Chaiyaphum and he said he'd take me there for 3,000 baht. I said, no way, i'll just take the bus. He said, how about 2,800 and the negotiations were on.

We finally agreed on 2500 baht and were off.

About 5 hours later (he left the meter running anyway) we got to my home up in Chaiyaphum and the meter read 3,000 baht.

He said, it was further than i thought and I still have to return to Bangkok so, could you please pay me the 3,000 baht?

I argued a little bit but saw it from his point of view and ended up giving him the 3,000 baht meter price.

How comes they always seem to win?

Bangkok to Chaiyaphum for 3000 baht sounds like a steal :o

SUVARNABHUMI: -- Some 300 taxi drivers block roads to Suvarnbhumi Airport on Thursday to protest police who they said arrested them for not using meters when being hired to go out of Bangkok.

The blockage of the roads to arrival and departure lounges which are on the second and fourth floors respectively forced many people both Thais and foreigners to get off their vehicles and walked to the lounges.

-- The Nation 2008--0-02

Geez, I have never seen so much whining. Here we all are, in a country that can offer a decent standard of living to foreigners at much less cost than our respective homelands. Great food, sights, women, nitelife, health care etc. And you guys want to bitch and moan about taxi drivers wanting to make a few extra bucks. The strike will pass soon enough, the new rail way will open soon enough. One of the first things I learned when I came here for holidays before I moved here was that just about EVERYTHING is negotiable. It seems you all want 1st world service, protections and convenience but 3rd world prices. Either deal with it or go back home.

-- The Nation 2008--0-02

Geez, I have never seen so much whining. Here we all are, in a country that can offer a decent standard of living to foreigners at much less cost than our respective homelands. Great food, sights, women, nitelife, health care etc. And you guys want to bitch and moan about taxi drivers wanting to make a few extra bucks. The strike will pass soon enough, the new rail way will open soon enough. One of the first things I learned when I came here for holidays before I moved here was that just about EVERYTHING is negotiable. It seems you all want 1st world service, protections and convenience but 3rd world prices. Either deal with it or go back home.

Exactly, I propose an annual bitching and moaning award for TV members. There will be many entrants and competition fierce.

-- The Nation 2008--0-02

Here Here every one wants something for nothing Taxi fair from Perth airport to city in Aus costs about $50 or 1500baht deal with it and dont complain its a great country where Farang can live comfortably for f****k all

-- The Nation 2008--0-02

I've lived and worked all over Asia for over 6 years. Thai taxis are generally OK. Sure, they'll try and jack tha fare up now and then. You would too if you were trying to support a family on what they make. I've been in Singapore when the drivers were all pissed off because the gov't wouldn't increase the rates, and wouldn't pick up ANYONE after like 10PM, or you had to pay them S$10 to go a couple of km. I've been to Aussie too; getting to a couple of biz meetings after arriving at the airport, I can easily drop AUD100 on taxis. We got it pretty good, so SHADDUP.

Here Here every one wants something for nothing Taxi fair from Perth airport to city in Aus costs about $50 or 1500baht deal with it and dont complain its a great country where Farang can live comfortably for f****k all

Is it the fact? Why we experienced didn't you? :o:D

What a bunch of PRIMA DONNAS mind you Taxi Drivers round the world are mostly a bunch of moaning <deleted> I suppose I would be sitting on my arse all day/night with nothing else to do but moan about things and when something in the slightest goes wrong join in the Mass Hysteria that is a Taxi Drivers want.

Moaning is right on the money..

We got a taxi from Biayoke Sky to the Novotel... The bastard first started with 200 baht... followed by 150... until we got him to use the meter...

Then the funny part... he tried to convince us to go to a ping pong show... We said no, hotel... followed by a very very chidish... awwwwwwwww... he then tried to get us to go for food... we just at the crystal grill... so not hungry... awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Funny stuff..

To give the guy credit though... He took us by a directish root, Bangkok is so confusing with all those 1 way streets its hard to keep your sense of direction for a first timer....

The fare ended up being 49baht, and that included the 35baht flagfall.

I just hope more scammers get locked up. Expecialy the ones trying to take advantage of forgieners.

Might as well turn Thailand into one big prison then because everyone here rips of the foriegner especially most foriegn run businesses!