Dude, Where's My Work Permit?

The Gentleman Scamp

Latest on this is that my passport is with the others at immigration and being processed.

Once it comes back we are flown out to get our 3 month visa, whatever name that goes under.

90% of the sixty odd farang staff working for the company have already recieved their wp's and as I joined the team a little late, that's why I'm with the other late commers, but it's in the bag.

I can't stop working and start again when I get it - in fact, I don't have a single day off between now and Feb 22nd.

"Scampy"

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does sound REALLY dodgy to me, Scampy me old mucka, The normal procedure is get your visa _then_ apply for the work permit.

Maybe you should make some enquires with your employer, find out whats really going on...

It does sound REALLY dodgy to me, Scampy me old mucka, The normal procedure is get your visa _then_ apply for the work permit.

Maybe you should make some enquires with your employer, find out whats really going on...

You tried Wolf. Sadly Scamp isn't much of a listener. The IDC will sort that. Accommodation is bad as is the food. A mind focus though. It sounds as though the pantomime that MIGHT employ him is shadier than the time share lot. Pity.

Latest on this is that my passport is with the others at immigration and being processed.

Once it comes back we are flown out to get our 3 month visa, whatever name that goes under.

90% of the sixty odd farang staff working for the company have already recieved their wp's and as I joined the team a little late, that's why I'm with the other late commers, but it's in the bag.

I can't stop working and start again when I get it - in fact, I don't have a single day off between now and Feb 22nd.

"Scampy"

My god you are naive beyond believe. You are working illegally, have no passport, no doubt have never signed any work permit application forms (and I am sure you would remember it - your arm nearly falls off after signing so many pieces of paper) and are saying you dont have a day off until February !!! Sounds like a boiler room of the first degree :o:D

Get yourself together and get out of that place, remembering to get your passport back.

Have you ever seen any of your co-workers work permits? Not the bosses but your co-workers - by law they MUST hold the blue book, not the employer.

Sixty work permits are almost impossible number unless your employer is General Electric or IBM, employing thousands of Thai's and more zero's in the capitalisation from that they run out of space. Somehow I cannot see this business have BOI approval for unlimited work permits !!!!!

"Scampy"

My god you are naive beyond believe. You are working illegally, have no passport, no doubt have never signed any work permit application forms (and I am sure you would remember it - your arm nearly falls off after signing so many pieces of paper) and are saying you dont have a day off until February !!! Sounds like a boiler room of the first degree :D:D

Get yourself together and get out of that place, remembering to get your passport back.

Have you ever seen any of your co-workers work permits? Not the bosses but your co-workers - by law they MUST hold the blue book, not the employer.

Sixty work permits are almost impossible number unless your employer is General Electric or IBM, employing thousands of Thai's and more zero's in the capitalisation from that they run out of space. Somehow I cannot see this business have BOI approval for unlimited work permits !!!!!

Let's sell Scampy the Emerald Buddha and give him a financial legup :o

This is a big operation indeed and the government know about it because they helped build it, as did Coca-Cola and Impact Arena.

Several hundred local Thai staff have also been employed and are being paid 500bht a day and my passport IS valid - for the next ten or so days at least, hopefuly I'll be flown out within that time.

They said if not that I just pay the overstay.

I said "No, I won't be paying the overstay because you are going to send me to get my visa before that is nescessary as promised aren't you"

Thay said, "We've got a lot on our plate but it is being sorted out"

The only thing this job has in common with a boiler room is the heat under them halogen bulbs.

Concern appreciated - but this is a big money operation with the powers that be aware of what is going on.

P.S. Are uniforms are nice, they're made from that same fabric as expensive football shirts and managers like me get a red left sleeve.

Accommodation is paid for by Coca Cola - I'm sharing a **** hotel apartment with three other English guys.

Come on guys, I'm doing okay, don't piss on my parade... I'll eat my words if you turn out to be right but I'm confident about this.

As it happens, I detest the work but we all have to do some hard graft to get what we want sometimes.

Sounds like a boiler room of the first degree  :o  :D

My thoughts exactly. I have a feeling that as we speak Scampy's passport is being processed at the Cambodian Embassy and very shortly he and his 59 new buddies will find themselves in Phnom Penh making a lot of long-distance phone calls about hot movers on the Thai Stock Exchange.

Well, at least his diary should be interesting after this one.

This is a big operation indeed and the government know about it because they helped build it, as did Coca-Cola and Impact Arena.

Several hundred local Thai staff have also been employed and are being paid 500bht a day and my passport IS valid - for the next ten or so days at least, hopefuly I'll be flown out within that time.

I said "No, I won't be paying the overstay because you are going to send me to get my visa before that is nescessary as promised aren't you"

The only thing this job has in common with a boiler room is the heat under them halogen bulbs.

Concern appreciated - but this is a big money operation with the powers that be aware of what is going on.

P.S. Are uniforms are nice, they're made from that same fabric as expensive football shirts and managers like me get a red left sleeve.

Accommodation is paid for by Coca Cola - I'm sharing a **** hotel apartment with three other English guys.

Come on guys, I'm doing okay, don't piss on my parade...  I'll eat my words if you turn out to be right but I'm confident about this.

As it happens,  I detest the work but we all have to do some hard graft to get what we want sometimes.

All this and the ' powers that be ' condone no visa, overstay and work without a permit.

Scamp

How many Thais working at this company ?

What are you & the other foreigners doing day-to-day at work ?

Is it a US or BOI company ?

Cheers

Pedro

Scamp

How many Thais working at this company ?

What are you & the other foreigners doing day-to-day at work ?

Is it a US or BOI company ?

Cheers

Pedro

The mention of Coca Cola seems a bit of a red herring - Coca Cola are a minority partner of Thai Pure Drinks who have the rights to bottle and market CC in Thailand.

Come on guys, I'm doing okay, don't piss on my parade...  I'll eat my words if you turn out to be right but I'm confident about this.

As it happens,  I detest the work but we all have to do some hard graft to get what we want sometimes.

All this and the ' powers that be ' condone no visa, overstay and work without a permit.

Just remember that a work permit cannot even be applied for without a current Non-Immigrant visa.

All our passports came back last night rubber banded to what looked like royal blue passports, everyone had to sign before they could have them.  :D

So I guess it's off to Laos soon to get my 3 month.

Still confused as to why it wasn't the other way round.  :o

Unless he's working for Shincorp. IDC here I come. Two seperate Departments administer immigration and work permits. Traditionally, neither get along. You're done Scamp.

All our passports came back last night rubber banded to what looked like royal blue passports, everyone had to sign before they could have them.  :D

Still confused as to why it wasn't the other way round.  :o

Unless he's working for Shincorp. IDC here I come. Two seperate Departments administer immigration and work permits. Traditionally, neither get along. You're done Scamp.

In Chonburi you have to go to the labour office in person to sign and collect your work permit.

Is it the same in BKK Doc?

I'm not an expert but Scampy's situation sounds dodgy.

Still confused as to why it wasn't the other way round.  :D

In Chonburi you have to go to the labour office in person to sign and collect your work permit.

Is it the same in BKK Doc?

I'm not an expert but Scampy's situation sounds dodgy.

He's either dreamin', pissed, or worse :o

I heard that the World Carnival where he is working was organised by Thaksin's Son, so I presume they have skipped the red tape and will issue some special kind of permit. The chance of there being a mass raid on people working for a govt./thaksin's son set up carnival is highly unlikely though, I would 99% say he will not end up anywhere near the IDC.

I heard that the World Carnival where he is working was organised by Thaksin's Son, so I presume they have skipped the red tape and will issue some special kind of permit.  The chance of there being a mass raid on people working for a govt./thaksin's son set up carnival is highly unlikely though, I would 99% say he will not end up anywhere near the IDC.

Well done! :o

I heard that the World Carnival where he is working was organised by Thaksin's Son, so I presume they have skipped the red tape and will issue some special kind of permit.  The chance of there being a mass raid on people working for a govt./thaksin's son set up carnival is highly unlikely though, I would 99% say he will not end up anywhere near the IDC.

Better recheck out of my curiosity.

Isn't the one that Toxin's son organises the new one on Ratchadapisek Road?

The one in Muang Thong Thani is organised by Matching Studio and a few other companies.. or so I heard?

Better recheck out of my curiosity.

Isn't the one that Toxin's son organises the new one on Ratchadapisek Road?

The one in Muang Thong Thani is organised by Matching Studio.. or so I heard?

Our new found consulting halfwit doesn't like to let the facts get in the way of a good ??? story

Btw: from my own personal experience. Being found in an office during office hours can be construed as working.

Now, I would not use this for a visitor, however, for a foreigner who applied for but was not granted, yet, the WP.

I know it is a grey area, but are there actually cases where people haven't been doing any physical work, ie. just sitting in an office, and got busted?

From my experience, I've heard of bar owners getting busted for hanging a photo (with a ladder, hammer and nails), a guy who had a tour company with about 6 vehicles and some Thai employees was busted for doing some of the driving himself.

What about cases of someone not physically doing any work, but just being on premises.

How would it apply to bar owners for example? I've heard they are fine as long as they don't clear tables or pour beer. Is this correct?

I think this may be a grey area, but I would love to hear any stories about perons being busted for 'non physical' work, ie. sitting in an office.

Btw: from my own personal experience. Being found in an office during office hours can be construed as working.

Now, I would not use this for a visitor, however, for a foreigner who applied for but was not granted, yet, the WP.

I know it is a grey area, but are there actually cases where people haven't been doing any physical work, ie. just sitting in an office, and got busted?

From my experience, I've heard of bar owners getting busted for hanging a photo (with a ladder, hammer and nails), a guy who had a tour company with about 6 vehicles and some Thai employees was busted for doing some of the driving himself.

What about cases of someone not physically doing any work, but just being on premises.

How would it apply to bar owners for example? I've heard they are fine as long as they don't clear tables or pour beer. Is this correct?

I think this may be a grey area, but I would love to hear any stories about perons being busted for 'non physical' work, ie. sitting in an office.

I've had a work permit for almost 3 years now as Managing Director of my place, I've always done the accounts, spoke to customers, managed the manager, band etc, i always sit in my office when meeting people (advertising people/ police) etc.

Anyway my lawyer who's been doing my stuff for 6 months now has checked, updated and secured everything i have in the LOS and about 4 months ago he was looking through my work permit and informed me that i'm MD alright but i'm an investing partner only ie- cannot do a single thing in the club, I had a feeling that this was dodgy accountants/ lawyers and senior staff that did this when i first bought into the business. Needless to say its been done and i can do anything I like in and for the club.

After this i've taken all thai names (managers names were on things) off and replaced the complete company licenses and papers. :o

ps, i'm also the only partner/ director that can sign. :D

Sorry to say this. But I was right, mate. The one you're working for is organised by Matching Studio, Coca Cola Thailand, and UK Funfairs Co. So, basically, you are working for Toxin's son's competitor. You might not be as safe as you thought you were.

Sorry to say this. But I was right, mate. The one you're working for is organised by Matching Studio, Coca Cola Thailand, and UK Funfairs Co. So, basically, you are working for Toxin's son's competitor. You might not be as safe as you thought you were.

The Scamp was willing to claim Toxin the younger as his newfound employer Elsie. Something is amiss.

Absolutely correct reply. You are working illegal until you have your blue book in your hand, that's the thing called work permit.

I mentioned before, first time I arrived on a non-imm B and applied for the WP, the forces came to my office, having informtion that there should be an illegal foreigner at work. Luckily, I had left an hour earlier. It turned out that a competitor had called the Labour dept.  :o

The police officers made it very clear, IF they would have found me on the premises I would have been arrested for illegally working.

They did understand the situation and suggested (through my staff) that I be not in the office until WP is granted, with a hint, 'after 4:00 pm we do not check anymore'.  :D

I experienced a similar situation. After applying for my work permit my offices were visited by the authorities and the staff were asked if I was working.I was not in the office

I had been instructed very clearly prior to my application not to work before the permit was in my hands. I was glad that i followed the advice

While I admit to not having any proof at my fingertips I would concur with LC. Khun Thaksin himself opened the one on Ratchada, on his birthday I believe, and that his son might thus be behind it is not a great leap.

The Muang Thong Thani operation while using the Coca Cola name is sponsored by amongst others - the bottling company for Cocal Cola in Thailand ( this in my mind is far from it being Coca Cola) and UK Funfairs Co.

A search for UK Funfairs shows up nothing which of course means nothing. I assume that they are the company supplying all the rides and equipment. Nothing is to be found on the Coca Cola site, which again in my opinion is hardly surprising.

As with any company i would be careful as to who has my passport and why and would ignore fancy names on the advertisements ( Coca Cola) and apparent high salaries when considering employment .

My understanding is that the funfair is on quite a tour of Asia at least - I have not heard /seen anything about its "World " aspirations.

On the face of it is an opportunity for someone to make some money- hopefully the employeees.

TGS could perhaps do this board a service though in enquiring as to how such an operation can organise so many WP's for so many farangs. We could then all benefit from what needs to be done