Pattaya Dead Now?

Ulysses G.

You know what? I love the place but a big part of me says that they can choke on the empty rooms for a while.

Do any of you remember about one year ago when the hotel alliance or some group like that was promulgating the idea that all the mid to lower level hotels should raise their rates to increase the quality of the tourists they attract? ?? As if people that spend more money are an automatic improvement. That told me they didn't appreciate my business and the money I spend there and the money I lose when I miss 30 days of work to take vacation.

I have watched business drop but have not seen a big drop in prices. Couple that with bad foreign exchange rates and higher travel costs and Pattaya is losing business. Unfortunately the Mom and Pop locally owned hotels probably suffer the most. I wish them well and hope to be there in the next month or so.

I bet they will still run those compulsive gala eve dinners for Xmas or new Year's. I detest that as I have my own plans. I spend a lot of money and time and effort on getting to Thailand and don't ask for much, but I hate being forced into buying things or moving out for a day or losing my weekly rate etc..

Room 250 Baht a night. Sign in the window for a few months now. Soi 11 (12?) Second row. Opposite Intown hotel (550 baht night).

Cannot get a lot cheaper than 250 a night and they get plenty of customers but I have never bothered to go inside to look at the rooms.

Dead last week, busy this week. Dunno spose time will tell. :o

You in Patters now ?

I should be home on the 13th, unless I have to take a camel caravan to get out of here (then it may be the 14th) !

Dead last week, busy this week. Dunno spose time will tell. :o

You in Patters now ?

I should be home on the 13th, unless I have to take a camel caravan to get out of here (then it may be the 14th) !

Should be about at the end of the month - uncle was just down for the past few weeks. :D What about yourself Kerryd - how long out of the sandbox?

Dead last week, busy this week. Dunno spose time will tell. :D

You in Patters now ?

Should be about at the end of the month - uncle was just down for the past few weeks. :D What about yourself Kerryd - how long out of the sandbox?

One month of (apparently) dull, boring, dreary, day-to-day existence in Pattaya. Nothing to look forward to but fewer (I hope) rocket attacks, visiting certain "establishments", consuming various quantities of liquids not (normally) available here, and maybe some "meaningful" conversations with 1 or 2 poor, sweet and innocent (former) farm girls. :D

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother going home. :o

Oh yeah, DayNight 2 hotel (by TukCom) has rooms for 4,500 baht per month (150 baht/night), but (big BUT) you have to also pay for your electricity, water, TV bills, do your own laundry (sheets/towels/etc).

If you want the all-inclusive price, it goes up to to about 550 per night.

Edited by Kerryd

i will be in pattaya this week. think it's not the high season now cos it's rainy season, [isnt it?]

where exactly is the walking street and the nearest cheap hotel to the beach?

Had a giggle when I read your post, you may come back a changed person. Walking st starts where the beach ends and please let us know what your thoughts were when you get back

geeeeees......

bcos... i don't know

i'm asking for the nearest hotel to the beach and walking st. which doesnt have to be near the hotel or the beach.

thanks for telling neway

p.s. where is the nightlife thingy at? not gay bars neither h00ker bars

thanks in advance

Edited by thithi

Not sure what your budget is but the Ma Maison is owned by a Frenchman 5 metres from the beach in soi13. Its a 2 story low rise and all the rooms look over a great pool and a terrific restaurant. Its 900bht for a superior room with free wi fi

Edited by zorro1

Dusit Group are doing pay 2 nights stay an extra night free
Not sure what your budget is but the Ma Maison is owned by a Frenchman 5 metres from the beach in soi13. Its a 2 story low rise and all the rooms look over a great pool and a terrific restaurant. Its 900bht for a superior room with free wi fi

Tank kew wery mut ka :o

which beach is the nearest to Ma Maison ka?

Edited by thithi

i will be in pattaya this week. think it's not the high season now cos it's rainy season, [isnt it?]

where exactly is the walking street and the nearest cheap hotel to the beach?

Hotels depend on what you consider "cheap". For some, 1,500 baht (i.e. $50 US) per night is cheap. For others, 600 baht ($20 US) is expensive.

Also depends on what you want to do. For example, if you plan on spending a lot of time doing the horizontal mamba, you may want to check out the Penthouse Hotel.

Pattaya has hundreds of hotels in various price ranges. Some are "guest friendly", some are less so. Some have a bed and night table (maybe) others are so chocka-block full of stuff, you could get by without ever leaving your room.

There are also "serviced" apartments, which are basically long-stay hotel rooms. Not really an apartment, not really a hotel room. Prices vary all over the city.

I hear good things about Flipper Lodge and Nova Park (lodge ?) just off of Beach Road. Friends of mine wanted to be a little closer to the "action" and stayed at the Diamond (Beach ?) Inn (soi Diamond). Others prefer the Penthouse.

I liked to be a little further away, where it's quieter when I want to snooze. The DayNight 2 (when it was new) was perfect. Cheap, quiet, not too far away from the action, but far enough it wasn't in your face 24/7. The hotel went downhill for a few years, but got a major face-lift when TukCom was opened. I think the owners were expecting a lot of new business, which never happened.

Now it's half hotel, half long-stay residents (quite a few Russian girls there too). Some don't like the area due to certain "establishments" located around there (hence the knickname "soi GayNight"), but I've never had a problem.

Many people have their personal favourites of course. Some are creatures of habit and keep going back to the same place because it's familiar and they know what to expect (more or less).

What ever you choose, I recommend only booking for a maximum of 3 nights (assuming that you will be staying longer than that).

That gives you time to have a look around and who knows, maybe you'll find something cheaper, or better, or closer to where you'd like to be. It is easier to extend your stay at what ever place you first go to, than to try and get your money back if you've booked for a longer period and decide to go elsewhere.

Dusit Group are doing pay 2 nights stay an extra night free

Tank kew wery mut ka :o

which beach is the nearest to Ma Maison ka?

The Main beach on beach rd that leads to walking st. The hotel is a 15 min walk or just hop on a baht bus for 10 bht.

I will just stay for a night or 2.

don't think there will be something else to do much there, beside being on the beach, window shopping, eating, sleeping, and pissing up.

so.... a room cost less than 1000b a night would be nice for me

thithi - Queen Victoria in soi 6 has very good quality rooms for 800 Baht (cheapest ones circa 500).

Located right in the heart of the soi so you are handy for shops, laundry, money exchange etc, etc. A shortish walk to Big C on 2nd Road and many attractions in between. The beach is only 200 metres away - although if the beach is main consideration I would go to Jomtien, Rayong or almost anywhere rather than Pattaya beach.

http://www.queenvictoria-inn.com/

Thi Thi--When I go, I use a guesthouse that charges 500 baht a night. Really a nice, big room (actually 2 rooms) for the price. It is in the Jomtien Complex, near the Hanuman statue. I am going back to Pattaya this week. PM me or call me (if you still have my number!)

Room 250 Baht a night. Sign in the window for a few months now. Soi 11 (12?) Second row. Opposite Intown hotel (550 baht night).

Cannot get a lot cheaper than 250 a night and they get plenty of customers but I have never bothered to go inside to look at the rooms.

I have stayed at the Intown Holiday hotel. Nothng fancy but for 550 baht not a bad price. That is about $17 USD a night. Not bad for a place centrally located. Rooms are big, but worn down. I find the beds a bit on the soft side which is great compared to the usual rocks places like flipper lodge have. Safety deposit box downstairs. Rooftop pool is small but ok for a quick dip in the afternoon. Nice view from the roof. Hotel staff is expressionles and seem like the living dead. Only one cute girl on the night shift that actually smiles. But, I don't interact with the desk much so it is not much of a concern. The tv channels are pretty good if you like financial thngs. They have bloomberg, asia market news, and cnbc I think. BBC, Deutch Welle and Al Jazeira in english.

Location is right in the middle of Pattaya so one can walk around the corner to Soi Bukao and take a baht bus north or south, or go towards the beach and hit 2nd road. easy walk to soi 7 or soi 8. Hop a baht bus to Big C. Streets are not busy on each side of the hotel so not much road noise. I have stayed there twice and woujld go bakc. Everything in life is a compromise and this one is pretty good.

^^^^

Or pop over the road and have alook at that place for 250 Baht a night :o

I agree the Intown is not upmarket but it is for sleeping off the nights machinations and does me too. I've stayed there 4 times now and no real complaints.

The laundry gals across the street and down a bit towards 2nd road are a hoot! Great prices and great laundry service. Nice to chat with and they did a fine job every time. Worth walking a street or two if you are near there to drop off your laundry. No dirty water smell, no excessive scenting trying to cover up things. There are four or five over there. This one is the second one down from the hotel I think.

There are quite a lot of Guest Houses on Soi Lankee, between 3rd Road and Soi Bukhaow. Many offer breakfast as inclusive. TV and DVD Player, Air Con, Hot Water etc. Anything from 400 Baht a night to long term/monthly rate.

Edited by TEFLMike