Two Nights In Bangkok

angelal

My husband and I have been living in Chiang Mai since March. On Thursday we will be going to Bangkok for the first time. We arrive Thursday mid-morning, and we'll fly out of Bangkok on Saturday afternoon. (We're going to Cambodia for a few days; we'll be back in Chiang Mai the following week.)

My question is this: What are the must-sees in Bangkok? I imagine most tourists want to hit all the cool Thai cultural things, see the Wats, and so on, but since we've been in Thailand for 7 months now, both of us are accustomed to Thai culture and pretty templed-out. (One Wat looks much like another, when you've seen a hundred or so.) I do think we'll go see the Grand Palace, but other than that, I have no idea!

I feel like a very shallow American for saying this, but we like good food, shopping (window shopping, more than actually spending money), animals, people-watching, and movies. :o

What areas, sites, and/or restaurants would you recommend? We'll be staying at the Park Plaza Sukhumvit, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

I have lived in Bangkok for 5 years and find it a little hard to answer your question, how sad is that? :o

For eating out, there are tons of great places, French, Italian, Thai. forget the fusion places. most hotels have top restaurants. but there are some great ones about if you look for them.

People watching, thats gotta be Patpong.

Movies. Paragon or Emporium both have good movie theaters with latest movies.

window shopping will be great in Paragon and Emporium.

hope that helps....

For the animal perspective maybe try the Snake farm. It is part of the Red Cross and is a research facility that produces anti venom.

They have shows in the morning and afternoon (11am and 2pm I think). If you are brave enough you can handle a fairly large python.

Located about 5 minute walk from Saladaeng skytrain station or Samyan metro station.

http://www.thailandtraveltours.com/bangkok...arm-bangkok.htm

I have lived in Bangkok for 5 years and find it a little hard to answer your question, how sad is that? :o

For eating out, there are tons of great places, French, Italian, Thai. forget the fusion places. most hotels have top restaurants. but there are some great ones about if you look for them.

People watching, thats gotta be Patpong.

Movies. Paragon or Emporium both have good movie theaters with latest movies.

window shopping will be great in Paragon and Emporium.

hope that helps....

Good restaurants will cost western prices. One spectacular place I would go to is the Seafood Market and Restaurant Soi 24 (next to the Emporium) and with a good bottle of Oz wine it may be about 150$ for two.

Good movie theathres at Cineplexes do not mean good movies - it's mostly junk down to Bruce Willis class.

Window shopping - since they became ghost places, Emporium and Paragon have a few wanderers who do exactly and only that, some tenant shops have reported sales slump of 30-60%. Lunch time Emporium looks what malls look like 1 minute after opening their doors in the morning.

River cruise, dinner package with pick up can be bought at most of the hotels.

Day time - maybe Jim Thompson's house is good for 3 hours, including lunch in their own garden restaurant.

Funny one can hardly find what to see in a 10 million people city in 2 days but that's how it is. Welcome to the biggest small place on the planet.

Thanks for the suggestions. Onnut, are there any particular restaurants you'd recommend?

my favorite restaurant is a little French one called Indigo. its on Soi Convent, a little back street opposite the Irish Pub called Molly Malone's. its got indoor and outdoor seating, great food and service. you dont even feel like you are in Thailand while eating there. prices are very reasonable. can get expensive if you start drinking bottles of wine.but normally including drinks for my wife and I its never over 5k.

Thai food. again on Soi Convent opposite the BNH hospital, Naj Restaurant. a great Thai place, the best Thai food and service in town.

if you like to mix and match, go to the food loft Central Chit Lom. awesome little restaurants from the best in town.

Molly's for a perfect pint...

Thanks again for the suggestions. I have a better idea now of what to do.

At the Sofitel Silom, on the 37th floor is a place called V9.

Go there for some evening hors doerves and glasses of wine.

360 spectacular views of Bangkok, excellent place.

Stock up on dvd's etc at Pantip ....

Go out dancing at a real Thai disco (try route66 at RCA)

(I am trying to find things that would be different than CNX)

EAT ...

Strangely interesting is hitting Khao San Road area (when you are around the Grand Palace)

Catch a gold class movie at Paragon or Siam Discovery

(btw a great location for a hotel is the Novotel Siam Sq)

Run around .. if you have wheels bounce out to Samut Prakarn and eat at Bang Puu ... etc etc

Thanks again for the suggestions. I have a better idea now of what to do.

At the Sofitel Silom, on the 37th floor is a place called V9.

Go there for some evening hors doerves and glasses of wine.

360 spectacular views of Bangkok, excellent place.

Much better to go to Scirroco or Vertigo or the new one at Central World Plaza. Oh and by the way, skip the movies as some other poster has recommended...who comes to BKK for two days to go see a movie?