Name Change Upon Marriage

here is possibly a stupid question. but im going to ask it anyway.

i am in the usa with my thai gf. we will marry soon and she wants to take on my last name.

heres the question: will she need to get a new thai passport with her new last name on it or can she keep her given name?

thats it. thanks for any help you all can offer

here is possibly a stupid question. but im going to ask it anyway.

i am in the usa with my thai gf. we will marry soon and she wants to take on my last name.

heres the question: will she need to get a new thai passport with her new last name on it or can she keep her given name?

thats it. thanks for any help you all can offer

My wife changed her passport, as her ID card was changed on the spot. ( We were married in Thailand). As far as did she need to change her passport?....Don't know......would make sense though, as she did change her name.

My wife changed to my surname when her passport expired. We had to go back to her home amphur to change her ID card - translated, certified copy of the marriage certificate needed, then back to BKK to get the passport in her new name.

No problems other than the nightmare that is thai govt departments.

Edited by Sporting Dog

I just recently married my thai wife, we couldn't change the name as we had the paper written in bangkok after the ceremony but she had the ID card changed as soon as she return to her village and is now in Bangkok re-newing the passport. For some reason they said she could only change her name near her local village. Best to have just the one identity i would think.

She shouldn't need a new passport. They made a handwritten name change for my wife when we married, but that was a long time ago. I don't remember where she had it done.

I believe she now has a choice of keeping her maiden name or changing it to a married name.