Using a new passport for marriage visa and money seasoning requirements.

Hi all, I have been in Thailand for three years now, im a Uk passport holder and and also have an Irish passport, I have today (23/5/24) just got another extension of stay on my non immigrant O visa based on retirement, I’m planning to marry the gf later this year followed by a trip next may back to the Uk for a month, I’m going to exit Thailand on the 23rd of may effectively ending my visa, I will then come back into Thailand using my Republic of Ireland passport ( I have dual citizenship) I will get a 30 day visa waiver stamp which I will then extend for another 30 days during which time I will go to immigration to apply for a 90 day non O visa based on marriage, and then finally just before the 90 days runs out I will apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai citizen, I know I need 400,000 baht in my bank account does this money need to have been in the account for a set amount of time before I apply for the non o marriage visa or does it just need to be in there on the day I apply…

looking forward to any help and advice

many thanks

400k on day of application for the non O based on marriage.

For the non O from visa exempt entry you use TM87.

Subsequent 12 month extension requires money in bank for 2 months + on day of application.

You should plan to leave the 400k in bank for the under consideration period (approx a month) after which the funds can be used. 

• Agree 1

@DrJack54 many thanks for your response, I’m going to do the marriage visa using my Irish passport as the embassy do the letter for immigration to state you have me t the monthly income requirement, I just fancy seeing if it works or if it causes problems 

55 minutes ago, essex boys said:

@DrJack54 many thanks for your response, I’m going to do the marriage visa using my Irish passport as the embassy do the letter for immigration to state you have me t the monthly income requirement, I just fancy seeing if it works or if it causes problems 

Makes sense. Would be nice to have the 400k available in case your immigration office has an issue with using "income method" for the non O application (shouldn't be) 

Here is one office requirement regarding embassy letter for the non O.

"Income Option
Letter issued within the last 6 months from your embassy verifying a minimum income of 40,000 Baht per month. Note 4 
(US, UK and Australia do NOT provide this letter, you will have to check with your own embassy)
Copy of Thai bank book name page"

(Highlight not mine) 

OP, are you getting married in Thailand? 

@DrJack54 yes I’m getting married in Thailand around October or November, the family are doing a big make merit party so I might combine the wedding ‘party’ with the merit party. I intend on always having 400k in the bank anyway but want to try the monthly income method, if something goes wrong I have a back up by having the 400k sitting there, the main reason to change to my Irish passport is that the embassy do still issue the letter for immigration regarding meeting the monthly requirements.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, essex boys said:

yes I’m getting married in Thailand

No doubt you have looked into the various things required for marriage.

One is "affidavit of right to marry" from your embassy.

Here is link to some requirements from a random legal firm. 

There is also a sub forum (marriage and divorce) that has many threads.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/family/marriage-in-thailand

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@DrJack54 yes I’ve had a good look through the requirements, looks like a couple of days faffing around in Bangkok and asking our amphur if there’s any requirements they have regarding translations of paper work, thanks for the link, I think I will get any questions I might have answered in there 👍🏻

46 minutes ago, essex boys said:

@DrJack54 yes I’ve had a good look through the requirements, looks like a couple of days faffing around in Bangkok and asking our amphur if there’s any requirements they have regarding translations of paper work, thanks for the link, I think I will get any questions I might have answered in there 👍🏻

You will need your passport & the 'Affidavit of Right to Marry' document translated into Thai & then authenticated at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

57 minutes ago, essex boys said:

You can get married in Bangkok if you want.  There's no need or benefit to do it in her home town.  Might save some time and hassle.  I used a company who took care of everything including providing translations, witnesses, transport and anything else needed.  All unnecessary but made life simple.  Oh, and congratulations to you both!