Renting In Bangkok

Hello!

This is my first post. I have just been offered a job in Bangkok for 60,000 Baht a month, and am most likely going to accept. I'm a little worried that it will not be enough to live on. I am single and would like to rent a 1 bdrm fully furnished apartment in the city. Would my income be sufficient? I am not usually exuberant in my spending on entertainment but do like to eat out a lot. I have savings in case of emergencies but really don't want to dip into that too much.

Any thoughts/advice on whether the income is a pittance is greatly appreciated. The person who interviewed me for the job emphasised that it really wasn't a lot to live on in BKK but I really would like other opinions.

Thanks.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Thai person will live on a lot less. You can get "Thai type" accommodation for under 3000 Baht per month but you are not going to live in luxury, and you might not have to be too fussy about location, but you will get by if you cut your cloth accordingly.

That will be plenty if you are sensible with your money. You can get a 1 bedroom apartment for 10,000 baht. I know people with 30,000 a month who have a 1 bedroom apartment, car, motorbike, eat out regularly etc...

Edited by madjbs

Wow, that's a tough question. Too many "depends" to give a reliable answer. Can you calibrate your expectations a little first and perhaps you or somebody else can give some idea of what a 60,000 month salary in BKK ends up being in your pocket, because I don't know (tax, social security etc). For most westerners a broad brush stroke response would be that 60,000 with rent to pay is tight. For a Thai it is luxury (well, O.K. a pretty good income) but their living/socializing expectations are quite a bit different.

That will be plenty if you are sensible with your money. You can get a 1 bedroom apartment for 10,000 baht. I know people with 30,000 a month who have a 1 bedroom apartment, car, motorbike, eat out regularly etc...

Let's get real. A one bedroom for 10,000 baht is not much of an apartment or it is way out nearer Sara Buri (exaggerating for effect!). Don't forget electricity and water (with aircon, perhaps 2-3000 a month), phone, internet, cable (yes, I know you can forgo those "luxuries" but life gets tough if you do).

I'm going to assume more like 15k for an acceptable room, 5K for add ons which leaves 30k for entertaining (assuming a take home of only 50k out of the 60k salary). Now, 30k might sound like a lot, but burning 5k a night on the piss is quite easy in BKK, so it will go quickly. Don't forget vacations, trips home and the like, and perhaps 50k/year for medical insurance. It goes quick, believe me. The OP gives no idication of his age either, and even with cable TV, which is crap here, you are going to get stir crazy pretty quickly sitting at home, whether you are 16 or 60. The guy asked a fair question and I think it only fair that we give him a considered answer. His number is not impossible my any means, but he won't be a rich farang.

Yes, I know about all you English teachers living in shit on 30k a month. You don't count.

There are many threads about the cost of living in BKK ... 60k is easily doable if you are not just nuts :o

Rent in BKK runs from 1200 baht (yes really!) a month to probably 1,200,000 baht/mo

Meals from 20 baht to 1 million baht (yes really!)

It all depends upon your needs and sometimes your ability to negotiate when getting an apartment/condo

take a look at the other threads because rehashing it here is just senseless

Let's get real. A one bedroom for 10,000 baht is not much of an apartment or it is way out nearer Sara Buri (exaggerating for effect!). Don't forget electricity and water (with aircon, perhaps 2-3000 a month), phone, internet, cable (yes, I know you can forgo those "luxuries" but life gets tough if you do).

I'm going to assume more like 15k for an acceptable room, 5K for add ons which leaves 30k for entertaining (assuming a take home of only 50k out of the 60k salary). Now, 30k might sound like a lot, but burning 5k a night on the piss is quite easy in BKK, so it will go quickly. Don't forget vacations, trips home and the like, and perhaps 50k/year for medical insurance. It goes quick, believe me. The OP gives no idication of his age either, and even with cable TV, which is crap here, you are going to get stir crazy pretty quickly sitting at home, whether you are 16 or 60. The guy asked a fair question and I think it only fair that we give him a considered answer. His number is not impossible my any means, but he won't be a rich farang.

Yes, I know about all you English teachers living in shit on 30k a month. You don't count.

Thanks everyone for the info! Much appreciated - some said I haven't provided enough info about my expectations, so more info about me: I'm a 27 y.o. girl, don't drink a great deal of alcohol, and my main priority is to have a fully furnished place that is decent and close to the city. I don't really do any sporty/extra curricular activities..errr....trying to think of what else to say...my main expenses here at home are rent, utilities, meals out and go to the movies alot, so assume that's what i'll be mostly spending on in BKK. Just gonna have to learn to live lean!

Thanks everyone for the info! Much appreciated - some said I haven't provided enough info about my expectations, so more info about me: I'm a 27 y.o. girl, don't drink a great deal of alcohol, and my main priority is to have a fully furnished place that is decent and close to the city. I don't really do any sporty/extra curricular activities..errr....trying to think of what else to say...my main expenses here at home are rent, utilities, meals out and go to the movies alot, so assume that's what i'll be mostly spending on in BKK. Just gonna have to learn to live lean!

In that case 60k is loads. You'll find yourself spending more in the first few months, but then your expenditure will fall dramatically as you find cheaper places to eat, get used to public transport etc. Look for food halls in local shopping centres - you can get decent meals for 20-40 baht. It's also a good idea to learn the bus routes, as bus travel is extremely cheap and nowhere near as, er, "challenging" as it first appears - it's actually quite good fun.

My main expenditure is beer - the rest is pretty much a pittance. Then again, I don't do shopping in any way, shape or form.

Do you mind me asking what job you've been offered? I wouldn't mind a job in Bangkok but don't really know where to start.

what is your purpose to work in Thailand? the money? 60K baht per month is not worth it. Can't you easily get this salary in your farang land? or perhaps you are comming from the Philipines, that would be a different story.

Edited by Scott123

In that case 60k is loads. You'll find yourself spending more in the first few months, but then your expenditure will fall dramatically as you find cheaper places to eat, get used to public transport etc. Look for food halls in local shopping centres - you can get decent meals for 20-40 baht. It's also a good idea to learn the bus routes, as bus travel is extremely cheap and nowhere near as, er, "challenging" as it first appears - it's actually quite good fun.

My main expenditure is beer - the rest is pretty much a pittance. Then again, I don't do shopping in any way, shape or form.

Do you mind me asking what job you've been offered? I wouldn't mind a job in Bangkok but don't really know where to start.

The job is at an embassy.

So I take it you live in Thailand, but don't work there? How do you get by?

what is your purpose to work in Thailand? the money? 60K baht per month is not worth it. Can't you easily get this salary in your farang land? or perhaps you are comming from the Philipines, that would be a different story.

Definitely not the money - although I don't want to struggle too much either, considering I could live in other places more comfortably. The aim of the game is to live abroad for (at least) 1 year and have an adventure. I should add that to me, 'adventure' could mean crossing the road in a chaotic city:-) So I'm not really looking for expensive thrills. I'm just tired of my current predictable and safe lifestyle.

I am real thanks.

There are plenty of perfectly decent rooms available for 10,000-12,000 in central Bangkok. Expect to pay about 5000 on top of that for utilities, parking, interent etc.. The rest depends on your lifestyle, I am not a party person, so I waist very little on alcohol etc.. I do like to eat out in nice places once or twice a week though and I do travel out of Bangkok for sightseeing every weekend. I find 20,000 covers me for everything I need and want, occasionally I have to dish out some more for flight costs and car repairs etc.. If you like to party hard and buy lots of girls every night then yes, you will probably need more.

In Thailand you can live a very nice lifestyle with 60,000, equivalent to one with a much higher pay level in your home country. You won't be the richest guy around but so what, you wont be anywhere near the poorest either. And the biggest plus of all is that you get to live in a fun and exciting city, full of culture and friendly people (yes, despite what a lot of the miserable mongrels seen around Thailand and on here might tell you). :o

Edited by madjbs

The job is at an embassy.

So I take it you live in Thailand, but don't work there? How do you get by?

I'm back in the UK now, but did live in Thailand for about 18 months, mainly blowing an early severance package I took from work. I should have looked into moving to the FCO when I was in the service, as several of my friends did.

Am thinking of going back soon as there are so few jobs available here, although the weakness of the pound may make that a pipedream.

Definitely not the money - although I don't want to struggle too much either, considering I could live in other places more comfortably. The aim of the game is to live abroad for (at least) 1 year and have an adventure. I should add that to me, 'adventure' could mean crossing the road in a chaotic city:-) So I'm not really looking for expensive thrills. I'm just tired of my current predictable and safe lifestyle.

Have you been to Bangkok before? If not, you will be in for one hel_l of a culture shock until you get used to it. If you are coming on your own you need to prepare yourself for loneliness and homesickness. You should look to make friends as soon as you arrive.

If you have time to walk up and down the soi's you could find a nice house for 10 - 15k. With the trouble that you often get in condos a house is a nice and quiet option. Thais are not always pleasant neighbours and they are almost always noisy neighbours - never mind the foreign neighbours!

It does depend on your area, but if you walk around areas that you feel are nice enough you may get lucky and find some houses - there's no great rhyme or reason, the houses can pop up anywhere. My friend lives in a lovely new three bed house within fifteen minutes of his workplace and pays 10k per month. These types of houses are very good value compared to the condo units at the same price, in my opinion.

If you have time to walk up and down the soi's you could find a nice house for 10 - 15k. With the trouble that you often get in condos a house is a nice and quiet option. Thais are not always pleasant neighbours and they are almost always noisy neighbours - never mind the foreign neighbours!

It does depend on your area, but if you walk around areas that you feel are nice enough you may get lucky and find some houses - there's no great rhyme or reason, the houses can pop up anywhere. My friend lives in a lovely new three bed house within fifteen minutes of his workplace and pays 10k per month. These types of houses are very good value compared to the condo units at the same price, in my opinion.

You'd have to be very lucky there, I think. Looking for accommodation is very frustrating in Thailand - everyone says just walk around and ask people, but that's very difficult to do if you don't know what you're doing. I think you need a lot of experience or a Thai friend to do it for you for that to work in practice. Better to get a condo from a personal recommendation or website until you know what you're after IMO. And pretty much everywhere in Thailand is noisy.

Depends what area you are in, but walking around normally works pretty well. Most apartments have English speaking staff if they have apartments in that budget. Many don't have websites so internet searching only reveals the expensive/overbooked places.

I also think houses are great value, If you are not worried about living in the center of Bangkok you can get a decent house for the same price as a small apartment.

You'd have to be very lucky there, I think. Looking for accommodation is very frustrating in Thailand - everyone says just walk around and ask people, but that's very difficult to do if you don't know what you're doing. I think you need a lot of experience or a Thai friend to do it for you for that to work in practice. Better to get a condo from a personal recommendation or website until you know what you're after IMO. And pretty much everywhere in Thailand is noisy.

Agreed - a bit of luck and plenty of effort. If you're planning to stay in Thailand for a good while it could pay off though.

OK ... maybe it is just me, but a 'lovely new 3BR house' in BKK for 10k? Not likely imho

JD, all my friends who have been here more than 2 years live in nice houses, and they all pay less than 12k p / m. Okay I don't have many friends, but it's easier to do than people think. For some reason Thais in Bkk prefer to rent condos rather than houses.

I live in Thonburi, five minutes from Sanam Luang and Khao San, easy to get anywhere fast on the river, or by bus (no 40 thru Chinatown to Siam Sq in 30 mins. Boat to Saphan Taksin in 25 mins - very easy) and there are plenty of houses available in the price range. It's not easy to find them because you have to walk around the little sois in the heat / dark, but they exist if you wanna look.

I lived in PraKanong a couple of years ago (paid 9k for a two room condo then 8k for a three bedroom house - no Thais wanted it because Indians lived next door (the best neighbours I've had in Thailand!), & from there all the way through Onnut to Bagna you can find the same - very convenient for BTS services.

I kid you not. Certainly for under 15k you can find nice houses a plenty, if you search well (that's the tricky bit).

You find loads of 1 room apartments with bathroom, aircon and sparse furniture for around 5k

at the bottom of sukhumvit 49 forexample there are plenty of cheaper apartment buildings, the trick is to find one that is not full.

I am staying in a newly built apartment building,

3.700 for the room with fan, queensized bed, mirrored wardrobe, 'makeup table' small but adequate bathroom and balcony.

you can add 500bht for each of Aircon, 512k wifi

If you plan to be out working or looking around most of the time it is more than sufficient.

Its fairly close to both above and below ground mass transit trains, as well as river transport.

for twice the money you could get a room a bit outside of town with gym and swimming pool and more furniture.

ymmv

Yeah, you get alot more apartment for your money out there.

The tradeoff is in transport, stuck in a taxi or crammed in a bus.

Or having an exciting ride on the back of a motorcycle every morning.

I picked my apartment on the grounds that I am 5 minutes walk from work, and less than a minute by bike.

I would recommend that you don't rush into getting a place, most apartments come with minimum 3 month contracts. The cheaper the initial place you get is, the less you stand to lose should you find something more suitable.

Depends what area you are in, but walking around normally works pretty well. Most apartments have English speaking staff if they have apartments in that budget. Many don't have websites so internet searching only reveals the expensive/overbooked places.

I also think houses are great value, If you are not worried about living in the center of Bangkok you can get a decent house for the same price as a small apartment.

Thanks for the info - in tems of walking around and speaking to staff at apartment buildings - is it possible to do this at any time (i.e. outside of business hours)?

Have you been to Bangkok before? If not, you will be in for one hel_l of a culture shock until you get used to it. If you are coming on your own you need to prepare yourself for loneliness and homesickness. You should look to make friends as soon as you arrive.

Haven't been to BKK - am preparing myself for the culture shock and the loneliness (well, I say that now in a very self-assured way but I'm sure it will be quite an emotional experience :-) I did a trip to India for 1 month a few months ago and after surviving that, I feel I can handle anything.

Thanks for the info - in tems of walking around and speaking to staff at apartment buildings - is it possible to do this at any time (i.e. outside of business hours)?

Its best to visit during normal business hours 7 days a week so you can have all your questions answered. After hours the information you obtain will be limited is most cases.

OK ... maybe it is just me, but a 'lovely new 3BR house' in BKK for 10k? Not likely imho

JD, all my friends who have been here more than 2 years live in nice houses, and they all pay less than 12k p / m. Okay I don't have many friends, but it's easier to do than people think. For some reason Thais in Bkk prefer to rent condos rather than houses.

I kid you not. Certainly for under 15k you can find nice houses a plenty, if you search well (that's the tricky bit).

Ya think?

on the other side of the river? --- sure.

I just haven't seen it in the other areas you are mentioning :o

The office at my condos is open only until 17:30. Places that are apartments/mansions often have offices open until about 19:30.

The first place I stayed in in Bangkok was 12,000 Baht a month for an apartment with living room, bedroom, bathroom, air-con and all furniture. It was about 30 seconds walk to Phaya Thai BTS, and there were other smaller units in the same building for 8,000 Baht.

Best bet is to go to Skytrain stations Phaya Thai, Victory Monument and Saphan Kwai on the northern section of the Sukhumvit Line - you could also try Ari but it's a bit more pricey there, although a very nice area. Doesn't seem to be much in Sanam Pao, Mo Chit is too busy and Ratachathewi is too central, so there tends more office blocks, malls and hotels rather than condo buildings.

At these stations, you can either walk down the sois and call in at buildings you see (certainly this can be done at Ari and Victory Monument as there are condo buildings everywhere), or ask a motorbike taxi guy to take you to nearby condo buildings. Hopefully you can make yourself understood though!

Same thing can be done at Thong Lo, Ekkamai, Pra Khanong and On Nut stations on the eastern section of the Sukhumvit line - but you can forget about lower Sukhumvit and the Silom line as rent prices are ridiculous in those areas.

Don't forget about the MRT stations also - it's still easy to get around if you're near an MRT stop. I'm less familiar with which ones would be good areas to try though.