Window Security Bars

pattayapip

Hi, Am just finishing off my House but unfortunately already someone attempted to break in !!

I would like to have security Bars Installed to 5 Windows 6' x 4' and 1 Single Door, Can anyone please tell me what Company makes these and expected prices ? My Mrs got 1 Quote and rang me today, 50,000 Baht, must admit my first thought is that this is way over priced!!!

Any reccomendations and personal experiences with Local Companies in Pattaya would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for any Help

Edited by pattayapip

The type of MATERIAL, THICKNESS or "size of the metal pieces" and design are all items that rightfully affect the price of window security bars in ADDITION to the square meters size of each window. Readily available EVERYWHERE in Thailand. Most shops will come out and make measurements to give you an accurate written estimate. Often the "aluminum frame window", "insect screen", "roll up door" shop also fabricates security bars for windows and doors.

Now what your wife will perhaps need to get clear is what thickness or size is the metal, what type of bolts and what type of metal. In our small Issan town there are at least four shops that custom build and install metal security bars. It might be worth her time to look at installed work by the shops that quote her fair prices for the security level you think appropriate.

A neighbor policeman made it clear and showed us how EASY it was for a "bad man" to break through the lame security bars a previous tenant had installed on our rental home. He stated that a thief was NOT deterred by "cheap or thin" security bars. He himself had misplaced a house key and the Policeman used a hammer and one hard knock to break into his own home through a "security bar" door.

The type of MATERIAL, THICKNESS or "size of the metal pieces" and design are all items that rightfully affect the price of window security bars in ADDITION to the square meters size of each window. Readily available EVERYWHERE in Thailand. Most shops will come out and make measurements to give you an accurate written estimate. Often the "aluminum frame window", "insect screen", "roll up door" shop also fabricates security bars for windows and doors.

Now what your wife will perhaps need to get clear is what thickness or size is the metal, what type of bolts and what type of metal. In our small Issan town there are at least four shops that custom build and install metal security bars. It might be worth her time to look at installed work by the shops that quote her fair prices for the security level you think appropriate.

A neighbor policeman made it clear and showed us how EASY it was for a "bad man" to break through the lame security bars a previous tenant had installed on our rental home. He stated that a thief was NOT deterred by "cheap or thin" security bars. He himself had misplaced a house key and the Policeman used a hammer and one hard knock to break into his own home through a "security bar" door.

Another thought is to have a weld bead placed over the head of the bolts that anchor the steel bars to the house. In some cases in has been known to have intruders merely use a wrench and remove the security bars altogether.

Thanks for the advise so far, But has anyone used a local company that they though were good and reasonably priced ? As said there are many places in Pattaya, but was just asking for some info as to who supplied a good service.

I have no idea as to the price my wife obtained as to specification, just thought 50,000 Baht was over the top, but if thats the going rate price then i will just pay it

Cheers

Thanks for the advise so far, But has anyone used a local company that they though were good and reasonably priced ? As said there are many places in Pattaya, but was just asking for some info as to who supplied a good service.

I have no idea as to the price my wife obtained as to specification, just thought 50,000 Baht was over the top, but if thats the going rate price then i will just pay it

Cheers

Indoor curtains of reasonable quality would easily cost you 50K baht for that house.

I for one really don't care for Security Bars I came to Thailand to live in peace and happness not in a PRISON(behind bars); now having said that my I suggest you place smoke detectors in your home, give yourself(FAMILY) a sense of security to be able to get out in case of fire. Anyway to each his or her own. :o

40,000THB for my 3 storey shop house:

Approx sizes

3 x windows 1.2M x 2M

1 x window 1.2M x 1M

2 x single door & frame

1 x window 0.8M x 0.8M

1 x sliding double door (french window style)

All mounted on the INSIDE of the frames with 1/2" angkor bolts

• 3 weeks later...

Whichever weight, style, etc of bars you install on your windows, please be sure that at least one window in each room have a quick lock release on it to allow for escape during an emergency. We have seen far too many homes where the bars would be a death trap in case of fire or home invasion.

Whichever weight, style, etc of bars you install on your windows, please be sure that at least one window in each room have a quick lock release on it to allow for escape during an emergency. We have seen far too many homes where the bars would be a death trap in case of fire or home invasion.

This is VERY important! I used to live in China, and they used these "jail " type window protectors, and they had no release mechanism from the inside, there were people burned alive on quite a regular basis, it may not be you..but some tosser leaves the stove on downstairs..and you cannot get out! Be VERY careful!!!

In Phuket - 4,400 baht for 3 large windows and 1 small window. Solid bars, not the flat thin bars and even a decorative flower thrown in to boot. Deep bolts on the inside frame. After they are installeed take a drill and drill out the threads on bolts and screws.

Sounds like a lot of the quotes listed above are specifically made for a farang/rich buyer. Almost all Thai homes have bars installed and I'll guarantee you that they are not paying even close to that amount!

Drive around and look for the metal shops that make them and buy direct from them.

Aloha

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't had it done personally (coming soon) but when I asked friends for both security and guttering I was amazed at the prices they quoted me. I personally see this as a con as I don't believe it can cost the Bt40-70k I have been quoted. Guttering seems even more of a con and it is like a tax on westerners. They know we need it and if they all quote about the same then someone gets a fat profit.

I haven't had it done personally (coming soon) but when I asked friends for both security and guttering I was amazed at the prices they quoted me. I personally see this as a con as I don't believe it can cost the Bt40-70k I have been quoted. Guttering seems even more of a con and it is like a tax on westerners. They know we need it and if they all quote about the same then someone gets a fat profit.

I eneded up after a long search getting all the Bars done for 20,000 :o Yes to the statements about Farang prices, i kept out of the way and let my wife get the price, then got involved during fitting, worked fine, had all the House Guttered same way, another 20,000 Baht but that was for 70 Meters of large guttering and 4 downpipes, more than happy now

Edited by pattayapip