How To Open An Thai Bank Acc. From Hawaii For 'o' Extentsion

im planning a multi entry 90 day visa, and then to convert to retirement 'O' in thailand

before I leave, exactly how do I open the bank account and does it really need to be at 800,000B without interruption for 3 months before i try to convert once in LOS?

are any banks in LOS 'better' than others for this purpose?

are any immigration offices better than others for doing the conversion?

I'll be in chiang mai, phuket, and a few other places in the kingdom at different times in the first 90 days

does it matter 'when' I convert to 'O' - can I do it anytime after I arrive? I know that the the one year will be added to the length of my current stay.

If I have a tellecommute job in the US, and will be filing a US income tax return, and have auto-depost checks to my US bank account, is that a potential problem?

thanks

jeff

hawaii

Why not think about getting a "OA" (retirement visa) in the US prior to coming. This way your have one year to deposited the needed funds in a Thai bank or if on a pension you can use the 65K per month method using a letter from the US embassey ??

Why not think about getting a "OA" (retirement visa) in the US prior to coming. This way your have one year to deposited the needed funds in a Thai bank or if on a pension you can use the 65K per month method using a letter from the US embassey ??

Hi - i read that obtaining in the US is more difficult. It ties up the money longer. I DO have a tellecommute job now that I will keep. It is not a pension.

My questions are very specific - I tried to keep it simple - thank you for you time in answering. Aloha.

im planning a multi entry 90 day visa, and then to convert to retirement 'O' in thailand

before I leave, exactly how do I open the bank account and does it really need to be at 800,000B without interruption for 3 months before i try to convert once in LOS?

I'll be in chiang mai, phuket, and a few other places in the kingdom at different times in the first 90 days

does it matter 'when' I convert to 'O' - can I do it anytime after I arrive? I know that the the one year will be added to the length of my current stay.

If I have a tellecommute job in the US, and will be filing a US income tax return, and have auto-depost checks to my US bank account, is that a potential problem?

thanks

jeff

hawaii

I don't know of any way of opening a bank account from outside of Thailand. As mentioned you can can also use the income option if you have income of 65,000 bahit (aprox. $1911) per month. It can be from any source if you do an affidavit at the US consulate (Bangkok and Chang Mai) it requires no supporting documents be shown. Yes the 800K baht must be in bank for 3 months.

Any of the larger banks are the best. They have more branches and at times better service. You will want to open the account near where you plan on living since some business must be done a that branch. Also an option for the income deposit is to put it in a CD.

You can apply for a one year extension of stay at any immigration office at any time. It has been reported that some immigration offices require you to be on the last 30 days of your current 90 day permit to stay. Retirement extension should be easy at any immigration office. If you choose the income option you may be required to show a bank book to show transfers into the country and money in bank but it does not have to be any particular amount on deposit.

I won't comment on the legality of working in Thailand. Income and fileing taxes in US have no effect on your extension of stay.

Edited by ubonjoe

Hi - i read that obtaining in the US is more difficult. It ties up the money longer. I DO have a tellecommute job now that I will keep. It is not a pension.

Applying for a multi OA (retirement) from your home country is not more difficult. The advantages are that the 800 000 Bht can be in your home account, and the visa is in effect valid for 2 years. The money is not tied up at all.

Edited by OlRedEyes

Applying for a multi OA (retirement) from your home country is not more difficult. The advantages are that the 800 000 Bht can be in your home account, and the visa is in effect valid for 2 years. The money is not tied up at all.

That would depend on each individuals situation and where they live.

If you don't have a doctor that you have a history with it could be difficult to find one to sign off on the physical and/or if found it could run into hundreds of dollars for that physical.

Dependent on where you live the ease of getting the police report can vary. It could be quick and free or take several days/weeks with a payment required.

If you don't have a doctor that you have a history with it could be difficult to find one to sign off on the physical and/or if found it could run into hundreds of dollars for that physical.

Dependent on where you live the ease of getting the police report can vary. It could be quick and free or take several days/weeks with a payment required.

So, neither doctor nor police are required for a conversion but only in home country (USA)? That is in aggreement with my point.

But everything I read said 800,000 in a THAI bank account, so how do you know this is NOT required? 

Also I've never seen a 2-year retirement visa so where again, are you getting this information? I would report every 90 days but not need to prove after one year that I have a balance of 800,000B in a (presumably US?) account?

Thanks much,

Jeff

Sorry you lost me. this problem exits in the US or in Thailand? It is for a conversion in Thainland, or getting the OA in the US?

much appreciated,

Jeff

I don't see anything about 2 years. Where did you learn about this?

The wording on many websites uses 'transfer' or 'deposit' rather than 'balance' of 800000B which is why I figured it meant an account to be opened IN thailand. Does a conversion ALSO imply an account in your home country is OK or then you really do need a thai bank account?

Maybe while applying in the US you need only to have that much in your account when you get the required 'bank statement' which again can be interpereted as a simple statement I get each month. The 'letter of guarantee' I am not familiar with. 

They also use the wording 'deposit account' - is this no different from an 'account' ? Or maybe it's a savings vs checking?

There;s still the 3 month question as well - some websites state the money needs to be there for 3 months prior to the application.

I'm not sure why it isn't crystal clear, but from looking on the web, it isn't, and there's also conflicting information.

anyhow, thanks again.

Jeff

Going back to your original posting:

To apply for a non-O based on retirement you don't need to show 800,000 in a Thai bank. During the last 3o days of your permission to stay you can apply for a one year extension in Thailand. It is for this extension that you need to show 800,000 in a Thai bank for at least 3 months. (Note that you also have the option of 65,000 a month or a combination of both. So you can also for example use 400,000 on a Thai bank and 32,500 a month in inkome).

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp606EN.pdf point 7.21.

If you can get a multiple non-O is different from a single non-O in that it gives you an unlimited of 90 days entries within a year from the date of issue. Every entry gives you 90 days and you can leave Thailand and enter again the same day to get a new 90 days. Within the last 30 days of each permission to stay you can apply for a one year extension. In essence it gives you more time to open a bank account and transfer your money to Thailand.

Some have suggested you get a non-OA visa, which is also a good option, but has different requirements.

Edited by Mario2008

The O and extend in Thailand is a good option for the OP. Make sure to make a WIRING AGREEMENT with a US bank before traveling to Thailand. The OP can also enter on a 30 day stamp if he wishes and convert to an O in Thailand if qualified for the extension.

I did a similar thing and did it like this:

Got a single entry O in the US

I had a Thai bank account and wired it from the US

I entered on a 30 day stamp and told immigration not to use my O

Then I went on a holiday outside Thailand

Then when re-entering I used the O

30 days out from the single entry expiring, I applied for the retirement extension

The reason I didn't use the O extension the first time is that I needed the extra time to season my Thai bank account.

The OP can get an O from a consulate with the reason: considering retirement in Thailand

Or enter on a 30 day stamp, open the Thai bank account, transfer the money in, and figure a way to season the money with 30 day stamps or a tourist or O visa obtained in a neighboring country, again you can convert the stamp to an O in Thailand if qualified to apply for the one year extension.

I don't see anything about 2 years. Where did you learn about this?

This applies a multiple entry non-oa. With a multiple entry non-oa you get another 1 year permission to stay every time you leave and reenter the country

The wording on many websites uses 'transfer' or 'deposit' rather than 'balance' of 800000B which is why I figured it meant an account to be opened IN thailand. Does a conversion ALSO imply an account in your home country is OK or then you really do need a thai bank account?

For an extension of stay using a non-o. The 800,000 baht must be in a Thai bank account for 3 months before the date of application. It can be a savings account or a CD.

In the case of a non-oa proof of the USD equivelent of 800,000 must be shown to be in a US bank accoount when application is made for the non-oa.

Maybe while applying in the US you need only to have that much in your account when you get the required 'bank statement' which again can be interpereted as a simple statement I get each month. The 'letter of guarantee' I am not familiar with. This is for the non-oa and for a non-o extension here you need a letter from the bank certifing your account balance.

They also use the wording 'deposit account' - is this no different from an 'account' ? Or maybe it's a savings vs checking? This is for non-oa visa. It means a savings account. Or a CD

There;s still the 3 month question as well - some websites state the money needs to be there for 3 months prior to the application.

Yes for a 1 year extension of stay here in Thailand.

I'm not sure why it isn't crystal clear, but from looking on the web, it isn't, and there's also conflicting information.

anyhow, thanks again.

Jeff

The confusion is between a standard non-o visa and non-oa visa. They are two completely different visas. If the non-oa topic hadn't been thrown into the mix. I think it would of been mush clearer.

On the consulate websites you will find both types of visa mentioned so you have to keep the two separated there also.

Joe

Edited by ubonjoe

Info on non-oa here: MFA Website

Unfortunately, this MFA website gets a little wrapped-around-the-axle when it tries to explain what an "O-A" visa is. For example, this quote:

3. Channels to submit [O-A] application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located on Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Sathorn District, Bangkok 10120. Tel 0-2287-4948 (direct) or 0-2287-3101 - 10 ext. 2236.

Non Imm O-A visas are *NEVER* issued within Thailand -- only abroad in one's country of residence and/or citizenship. MFA, like so many, gets confused between an O-A visa and extending an O visa, as the results, e.g., one-year permission to stay, are pretty much the same.

No wonder folks like Jbeck scratch their heads -- when even the horse's mouth gets it wrong.

A few other observations for Jbeck.

The 3-month in-the-bank requirement is apparently waived when you combine bank and income finances. So, having the US Embassy/Consulate issue a validation letter for whatever positive cash-flow that you do have, then making up the shortfall with money in a Thai account, should get around the 3-month hurdle.

Opening a Thai bank account without a work permit can sometimes be difficult. A certificate of residence, which you can obtain from the US Embassy/Consulate, can usually overcome this problem. But, you still might be ringing a lot of doorbells before you find an accommodating bank/branch.

The Honorary Consulate in Honolulu (you do indicate you're from Hawaii) has been shown to be very user friendly. One poster here was amazed at how easy it was to obtain an O-A visa from them, using mail and telephone comms from the Big Island. But, whatever route you go, I'd give them the first shot. Google will get you there.

With an O-A visa you won't have to visit Immigration for nearly 2 years after setting foot in Thailand (assuming you mail in your 90-day reports). As Ubonjoe explained, this is because the one-year permitted to stay stamp an O-A visas affords allows you to re-enter Thailand just before visa expiration date, thereby getting another one-year permitted to stay stamp. Voila! Nearly two years on one visa.

Good luck.

There is a great deal of confusion in this thread.

1. To apply for a Non Imm O visa in the USA, you do NOT need a Thai bank account.

2. The Thai bank account only comes into play when you want a one year extension from Immigration in Thailand.

3. Since the OP is going for the multi-entry visa he can put off transfering the money for up to a year,

as each entry on his visa will give him a straight forward 90 days. It will only be on the last of these

that he needs to transfer the 800K making sure it is in the account for 90 days before applying

for the one year extension.

Jim Gant states

The 3-month in-the-bank requirement is apparently waived when you combine bank and income finances.

So, having the US Embassy/Consulate issue a validation letter for whatever positive cash-flow that you do have,

then making up the shortfall with money in a Thai account, should get around the 3-month hurdle.

Can anyone else confirm this?

It is news to me.

Jim Gant states

The 3-month in-the-bank requirement is apparently waived when you combine bank and income finances.

So, having the US Embassy/Consulate issue a validation letter for whatever positive cash-flow that you do have,

then making up the shortfall with money in a Thai account, should get around the 3-month hurdle.

Can anyone else confirm this?

It is news to me.

I have heard this many, many times. The question I would have is whether there is a realistic amount of money needed from the letter for that really to be true. For example, if you got an embassy letter showing 50K baht a year income and 750K in the bank, would the no seasoning needed apply? I doubt anyone can really answer that one for certain.

Edited by Jingthing

(5) Annual income plus bank

account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the

filing date of application

be required.

Page 10 Order of the Royal Thai Police Headquarters No. 606/2549

Link: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp606EN.pdf

Yes, of course. I don't believe the question was whether a COMBO can be used for the 800K, OF COURSE IT CAN, but the question was if you use the combo does that excuse you from the 3 month money seasoning rule. I believe it does based on numerous reports, however I wonder if the income part of the combo was very small, would immigration sometimes decide NOT to waive the 3 month money seasoning requirement that does apply if you do use the bank account only.

Edited by Jingthing

but the question was if you use the combo does that excuse you from the 3 month money seasoning rule. I believe it does based on numerous reports, however I wonder if the income part of the combo was very small, would immigration sometimes decide NOT to waive the 3 month money seasoning requirement that does apply if you do use the bank account only.
Please note the legal logic in the Sunbelt translation below:

(1) and (2) and [(3) or (4) or (5)]

So you can apply with any of (3) or (4) or (5).

Only Clause (4) mentions three months.

Clause (5) specifically states 'on the date submitting the application'

Each time of permission shall be granted for a period not exceeding 1 year.

(1) Foreigner shall obtains VISA for temporary stay and,

(2) Shall not be younger than 50 years old and,

(3) Having evidence showing the monthly income not less than 65,000 Baht or,

(4) Having the records of saving money in the latest 3 months of account book of any Bank in Thailand not less than 800,000 Baht or,

(5) Having annual income combined with the saving money in the Bank not less than 800,000 Baht from on the date submitting the application.

(6) Foreign national who enters the Kingdom of Thailand before the 21st October 1998 ... (grandfather clause)

Does Bangkok Bank have a branch in New York City? This might provide an avenue to comply.

Won't work. Bangkok Bank New York is a wholesale bank. They also can't be used as a conduit to open up an account with a branch in Thailand.

[but, with apologies for thread creep, they *can* be used for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) to your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand, using their ABA number and your account number in Thailand. Cost is considerably less than most wire transfers -- but takes several days longer, however. Early reports of doing this showed many problems; but this has been apparently fixed -- at least set-up and usage for me was a snap. See: Bangkok Bank EFTs]

Since the OP is going for the multi-entry visa he can put off transfering the money for up to a year, as each entry on his visa will give him a straight forward 90 days. It will only be on the last of these that he needs to transfer the 800K making sure it is in the account for 90 days before applying for the one year extension.

With apologies to Jbeck for probable information overload.........

But if you hate border runs, you could enter on a visa exempt, open and fund a bank account, then visit Immigration for an in-country Non Imm O (Form TM87). However, if they adhere to the '21 days remaining' on entry permit, you've only got 9 days to hump it out.

A conversion of a Tourist Visa to a Non Imm O (Form TM86) would give you 30 more days to get organized -- a seemingly better option -- if you don't mind the extra effort in obtaining a Tourist Visa.

Waikiki is sounding better and better, no? :o

The medical certificate is a very mai pen rai affair. No tests were required. Basically a note that states you are in good health is accepted.

But how much did you pay for the medical cert?

The one in Thailand will be less than $5.

Don't forget the time and expense of the police report, that is

needed for the O-A.

• 2 weeks later...

That is a question that has been ask before but no anwer has been posted of anybody trying this.

As of this moment. I can say that funds must be in Thai baht and in a Thai bank for three months before date of application.

Edited by ubonjoe

That is a question that has been ask before but no anwer has been posted of anybody trying this.

As of this moment. I can say that funds must be in Thai baht and in a Thai bank for three months before date of application.

I am fairly certain I read sometime ago someone did use a combination of USD he had in a foreign deposit account at a bank in Thailand along with Thai baht in another account as well.

This appears to be one of those questions that while important, is difficult to get a straight answer on.

Listen to us and apply for the O-A, Multiple Entry in the US

You are not going to be able to open a Thai bank account while in the US, if you get your O-A visa before coming to Thailand you will not have to worry about it until you want to renew it in a year

All the same, just get a branch that is close to where you will be living

You will not be able to "shop" immigration offices, you will have to use the one nearest to where you eventually live

Once again getting a O-A outside of Thailand is considerably easier

No, but keep the fact that you will technically be working while in Thailand to yourself, since work of any kind is prohibited while on a retirement visa. Just get yourself a Thai bank account and build up your balance through ATM withdrawels from your US bank account. But once again if you can qualify for a Retirement visa you can use the monthly 65K income route instead of having 800,000 THB tied up in a Thai bank