Italian Zeppoles

lifeisrandom

I'm not Italian but zeppole are comon in one or another form all over continental Europe - some are made with choux pastry others with a simpler pastry with ricotta added and they all have one thing in common, they are bloody delicious, I personally prefere the German version, a choux pastry baked to about tennis ball size when cooled cut in half with a good cherry jam with wole fruits at the bottem and a very good topping of sweetend firmly whipped cream than the other half of the choux pastry is placed on top .... choux pastry has this fantastic flavour which combined with the cherries and whipped cream make a real delicacy ... only problem is that you can watch them going streight to your hipps bypassing the beer belly :o

I have never seen either version, German or Italian here and I think the reason is that they have to be consumed on the same day to be realy good and there would be too much waste or the owner of the shop be very big .....

Edited by JohnBKKK

I'm not Italian but zeppole are comon in one or another form all over continental Europe - some are made with choux pastry others with a simpler pastry with ricotta added and they all have one thing in common, they are bloody delicious, I personally prefere the German version, a choux pastry baked to about tennis ball size when cooled cut in half with a good cherry jam with wole fruits at the bottem and a very good topping of sweetend firmly whipped cream than the other half of the choux pastry is placed on top .... choux pastry has this fantastic flavour which combined with the cherries and whipped cream make a real delicacy ... only problem is that you can watch them going streight to your hipps bypassing the beer belly :o

I have never seen either version, German or Italian here and I think the reason is that they have to be consumed shortly on the same day to be realy god and there would be too much waste or the owner of the shop be very big .....

Now I am hungry again!

• 2 weeks later...

mmmh zeppole bring back warm memories of home made pastries. Originally from S. Italy, they're made daily and consumed when still warm, melted icing sugar sticks on your fingers.

Ingredients:

white flour;

soft fleshy boiled potatoes;

creamy farm butter;

free range whole eggs;

caster & icing sugar;

golden lemon peel;

vanillin;

pinch of salt;

cinnamon

Deep fried in nutty oil and here the final result

post-7932-1225462674_thumb.jpg

post-7932-1225462697_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ah.... Angelini, last time I ate there, Dec last year. The wifey, girlfriend and I, had a good meal and super service. But what I remember most was the final bill ฿5,555.55, it was funny when I saw the numbers, kept the receipt for a while :o