Fish Farming In Tha Song Yang

gvan

Is there anyone near Tha Song Yang (north of Mae Sot) with expertise in fish farming that would be willing to share their knowledge with a small orphanage in Tha Song Yang. This added protein could be invaluable to this orphanage. Thank you.

Smithson, Thanks for your reply. We are not looking to do a 'commercial' project, only a small project to help approx. 50 children with their protein needs. The pond size is TBD, some of the older boys have begun to dig (hopeing for help before they put in too much inappropritate effort). No one at the orphanage would have any skills as they have never done a project like this. They have several 'older boys' with lots of ambitioin for workers, but I'm afraid not experience in this. Looking to do 'low level' fish like bullhead for eating.

Smithson, Thanks for your reply. We are not looking to do a 'commercial' project, only a small project to help approx. 50 children with their protein needs. The pond size is TBD, some of the older boys have begun to dig (hopeing for help before they put in too much inappropritate effort). No one at the orphanage would have any skills as they have never done a project like this. They have several 'older boys' with lots of ambitioin for workers, but I'm afraid not experience in this. Looking to do 'low level' fish like bullhead for eating.

I'm not familiar with bullhead fish. The common species in Thailand are tilapia and catfish. One thing that springs to mind is we're heading into the dry season, so it might not be the right time to start. Although if you're digging by hand, do it now before the soil drys and becomes too hard.

I suggest reading this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Fish-Farming...ent-t87368.html and doing a search also. When you have a clearer idea of what you'd like to do, then maybe post some questions.

Smithson, Bullhead and Catfish are generically used as the same fish. Sometimes referred to as Bullhead Catfish, so there may be several different species. They are scavenger fish anyway, so we are talking about the same thing. I've read the thread and it is a good one, but still need some 'consulting expertise'. Pond size? depth? if the pond doesn't hold water, how to fix it? PH levels to maintain in the pond? How to optimize amount of food/growth pound? Can smaller fish be introduced to the pond when larger fish are present, or will they eat their own species? Water temp? is 'bird netting' necessary? Cheapest way to buy/make food? I really appreciate your advise, thank you very much.