Alcohol Sale Ban

PoorSucker

My wife heard that there is no sale of alcohol 14-16 Oct.

This because of the royal cremation.

She asked me if this is only limited to Bangkok or enforced country wide.

First I here about this, anyone else here anything?

I believe it's November.

My wife heard that there is no sale of alcohol 14-16 Oct.

This because of the royal cremation.

She asked me if this is only limited to Bangkok or enforced country wide.

First I here about this, anyone else here anything?

I believe it's November.

i heard a bit yesterday but im sure it was somthing about the end of buddist lent or somthing on them lines, however we have not been told not to sell alcohol yet???????

chris

OK, thanks.

The rumor is about 14-16 Nov.

Anyone know anything or is at usual that police comes with police orders the day before :o

Apparently, the 16th is the most important day so I would envision a ban (if one at all) from 6pm on the 15th till midnight on the 16th, but we will have to see as the date nears.

It's a big deal and I know that many businesses are not holding any type of celebratory events around this date so a booze ban could very likely be on the cards.

The no alcohol on a Buddhist holiday thing was always left to the discretion of the restaurant/bar/shop owner but since the Yubumrang mafiosa moved in it may be applied regardless of the feelings of the people. Anyone know if his decree has been made law?

For the funeral, given the respect shown by most Thais for the royal family, I'd expect a shutdown to be enforced fairly strictly. For any farang in Thailand at the time it's not unreasonable to be expected to show a bit of restraint and respect at that time. As for notice, don't hold your breath these people make it up as they go along and an hour is about the furthest ahead they are capable of planning.