Drugs Tablets

Patriciachas

can anyone help,when you go to hospital and are prescribed drugs tablets do you have to purchase them from the hospital or can they be purchased from a pharmacy cheaper.as i have been told that the hospitals charge more but do not know where to buy other than hospital pharmacy.

can anyone help,when you go to hospital and are prescribed drugs tablets do you have to purchase them from the hospital or can they be purchased from a pharmacy cheaper.as i have been told that the hospitals charge more but do not know where to buy other than hospital pharmacy.

Most, emphasis on "most," drugs are available here OTC (Over the Counter). Just ask your doctor, and yes, normally less expensive at a local pharmacy.

My doctor at Vibhawadi Hospital is good that way, she writes down what I need to purchase and I go ahead and do so.

And agree with jdinasia, there are some drugs that are highly restricted that can only be purchased at the hospital, don't think too many, tho.

Mac

Depending on the medication, you can find pretty much anything, as long as it is not considered a narcotic. E.G. Morphine, Codeine, Valium, Xanax, and pretty much any other narcotic sedative. Narcotic pain medications are limited to Morphine and Codeine in LOS and need a prescription from a doctor that is not too skittish. Anything mid range like Vicodin, Darvon, Darvocet, Percocet, and all other synthetic narcotic pain medications are non-formulary (not sold at all anywhere) in Thailand. You can thank the heroin trade in the 60s and 70s for that.

Everything else can be found at the numerous pharmacies throughout Bangkok. I recommend first going into a Tesco Lotus pharmacy, as they have the lowest prices, if you can't find it there go to a local street pharmacy, there are many, then try Boots or Watsons they are located in malls and major shopping centres, and for hard to find medications that are not narcotics, the pharmacist at the Villa Market Sukhumvit Soi 33 location can order it for you.

Get the generic aka chemical name of the medication and write it down. If the pharmacy carries it they will sell it to you. There are exceptions however. Also some common non-narcotic medications widely available in the West are not available in LOS.

Post what you are looking for and Sheryl and the rest of us will be able to give you and idea whether they have it.

Good advice given above to the OP...

In my experience, hospitals (especially the western oriented ones in BKK) tend to heavily overcharge for their prescriptions/medicines. And if you go there and don't know any better, the doctor will simply order/prescribe the medicine and tell you to go to pay your outpatient hospital bill for the visit and pick up the medicine at the hospital pharmacy.

The doctors and nurses at the hospitals here never seem to mention that for many (but not all) medicines, they are equally obtainable from any local pharmacy and often at substantially reduced prices. So one approach is to have the hospital doc simply write down the detail of what he wants you to take, and then take that info to your local pharmacy. If they don't have it, you can always go back to the hospital pharmacy and get it there.

The other difference here is...even if you need a "prescribed" medicine like an antibiotic, you don't need a written doctor's prescription to go to the local pharmacy here to get it. Just go in, tell them what you want, and buy it. It's a totally different system from that used in the U.S., where prescription medicines are only available via a doctor's written prescription. (I say the above with the caveat...people absolutely shouldn't self-prescribe their own prescription medicines or overuse antibiotics...)

One common OTC (over the counter) medicine that I haven't been able to find here in BKK as yet is Guaifenesin, a very common and inexpensive decongestant. I've gone to a couple different pharmacies, showed them the printed name of the medicine, and all said... no have. Anyone have any luck finding it???

The wife has cellulitis (sp) in her ear and needs antibiotic Augmentin 1g, is it available other than the hospital?

Yes it is,

Chemical name: Clavulanate K 125 mg, amoxicillin trihydrate 500 mg. Per Augmentin 1 g tab

Augmentin tablet 1 g x 14's

[Manufacturer] GlaxoSmithKline

[Distributor] Zuellig

Source: Thailand MIMS

The wife has cellulitis (sp) in her ear and needs antibiotic Augmentin 1g, is it available other than the hospital?

Yes it is,

Chemical name: Clavulanate K 125 mg, amoxicillin trihydrate 500 mg. Per Augmentin 1 g tab

Augmentin tablet 1 g x 14's

[Manufacturer] GlaxoSmithKline

[Distributor] Zuellig

Source: Thailand MIMS

Thanks for that gunnyd, I'll give tesco a try tomorrow, they seem to have a very well informed chemist there and may order it if they don't have it in stock. :o

jfchandler thanks for the info, we were at Bumrungrad last week for checkups and the process was as you described, paid the bill then picked up the scrips. Next time we will do as you suggested. :D

Yep... my experience with that, in particular, was in fact at Bumrungrad.... But also at a few other places as well...including BNH Hospital on Soi Convent near Silom...

Actually...when I've done that (asked the doctor to just write down what he wants me to take, with all the dose details), they've never had any problem doing that. So it doesn't seem to cause any problems...and they don't get huffy about it..in my experience.

But, there have been a few occasions when after I asked, their response was...no...you won't be able to get that at outside (non-hospital) pharmacies. And when I later checked to confirm that...in those instances, I found the hospital doc was telling the truth...that the outside pharmacies didn't have it.

Of course, as with anything, your mileage may vary...from doc to doc and hospital to hospital.

GunnyD... good info...and it reminds me...

Thai pharmacists seem to have a printed book (sort of their Bible) that tells them what medicines are available here and which are not...and if the thing you are looking for is available here perhaps under a different brand name than in your home country...

I'm assuming, it is something like this book pictured below....

post-53787-1223991978_thumb.jpg

There's also a web site with the same info... but I've never tried using it before...and it requires free registration...

http://www.mims.com/index.aspx

GunnyD... good info...and it reminds me...

Thai pharmacists seem to have a printed book (sort of their Bible) that tells them what medicines are available here and which are not...and if the thing you are looking for is available here perhaps under a different brand name than in your home country...

I'm assuming, it is something like this book pictured below....

post-53787-1223991978_thumb.jpg

There's also a web site with the same info... but I've never tried using it before...and it requires free registration...

http://www.mims.com/index.aspx

I've got a copy and I am registered with MIMS.com

The on-line version is nice for finding medications that are not available here, but are in available in a near country. MIMS on-line site covers most of SEA. It came in handy when I found out that an important blood pressure medication that my wife takes isn't sold in LOS. Through the on-line service I found out it was available in Malaysia, so we went to Penang and got it. Thailand is funny like that. Some basic medications that are widely used worldwide are not available here.

Depending on the medication, you can find pretty much anything, as long as it is not considered a narcotic. E.G. Morphine, Codeine, Valium, Xanax, and pretty much any other narcotic sedative. Narcotic pain medications are limited to Morphine and Codeine in LOS and need a prescription from a doctor that is not too skittish. Anything mid range like Vicodin, Darvon, Darvocet, Percocet...

gunnyd, what about Adderall and Ritalin/Rubifen?

Ritalin et a; = restricted, you'll have to get from a doctor/hospital.

Pretty much eveything with an abise/street sale potential is restricted and everything else OTC, including the full range of antibiotics.

BTW in cases where the doc is uncooperative in writing down the drug (and some hospitals have internal policies forbidding them to do it) you can always at the point of collection at the pharmacy window ask to see the medication, note the name and dose and refuse tio buy it. (to minimize hassles bets tio just say you already have some). May cause some delays in the check out process as you will usually have paid first so they will then have to redo the bill.

other option is at point of payment ask to see what the meds are, then do as above. At that point you can also see how much the meds aer going to cost and decide if it's worth the hassle.

Ya, I second the advice given above...

At both Bumrungrad and BNH, for example, I haven't run into any problems asking the docs to know in advance what exactly they are wanting to prescribe...and usually discuss it during the consult in the (false) context of, I perhaps already have a sufficient supply at home or even, just want to know what exactly it is and how often to take, etc etc.

But in any case, the first step after seeing the doctor is always to go to the checkout/cashier window. And before paying, I always ask for an itemized, printed billing statement that will show any/all medicines the doctor has ordered, the detail of them, and the hospital's price.

At that point, if there's anything I want to pursue obtaining outside the hospital, I just tell them to remove that from the bill, and that I already have it, so no need to purchase more. But I keep the original itemized printout because it includes the list of things I may need to obtain elsewhere.

Easy to handle like that.

Depending on the medication, you can find pretty much anything, as long as it is not considered a narcotic. E.G. Morphine, Codeine, Valium, Xanax, and pretty much any other narcotic sedative. Narcotic pain medications are limited to Morphine and Codeine in LOS and need a prescription from a doctor that is not too skittish. Anything mid range like Vicodin, Darvon, Darvocet, Percocet...

gunnyd, what about Adderall and Ritalin/Rubifen?

Ritalin is sold under the following trade name in Thailand

Concerta® [extended-release tab]

Janssen-Cilag

MIMS Class : Other CNS Drugs & Agents for ADHD

[Manufacturer] Janssen-Cilag

[Distributor] Diethelm

Source: MIMS Thailand

It is a controlled substance as Sheryl said.

Adderall is non-formulary i.e. not available for prescription in Thailand.

If you honestly need this type of medication for the treatment of a juvenile with ADD, ADHD, or Narcolepsy you must have medical records from your primary physician to document your need for it to a local doctor.

I am taking 2 medications that are narcotics for 10 years. I am currently in LOS long term and unable to return to a VA facility to have my medications refilled, so I went to a GP to have my medications filled. I brought medical records and showed the bottles from the previous fill and still was given the third degree about having them filled.

After providing my documentation and bottles, I was sent to see the hospital psychiatrist so they could verify that I wasn't an addict. And after all of that I have to return to the doctor every 2 weeks to get them refilled. It is a real pain in the arse but unavoidable.

Point being if you do have a legitimate need for narcotic medications you better have your medical records and be prepared to jump through many hoops. The Thai FDA is very strict.

Follow the law: Thailand has the DEATH PENALTY for drug trafficking.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the strongest pain killer available over the counter? I'm currently taking vicoden and will be in asia for 3 weeks. I doubt my US doctor will give me a 3-week supply before I go and it would be nice to have something I could buy while in Thailand. The medication is only temporary (hopefully) until I have ACF surgery in January.

I agree that Bumrungrad overcharges for medication. I had some pain during & after a laser tooth whitening procedure and they asked me if I wanted a couple Tylenol. Very surprised when I got the bill.

Over the counter the only thing you will get is either tylenol or an NSAID.

Vicodin is not available here but tylenol and codeine is, albeit only from hospitral pharmacies. You will find Thai doctors surprisingly reluctant to prescribe it.

Try to get your doctor to give you an adequatre supply, lacking that then a letter from him stating your condition and reason for needing it that you can use to request more from a doctor here.

Be sure to bring the pills in their original labelled bottle showing your name, doctor's name etc. Keep it to show Thai doctor along with your doctor's letter.

Ok let me pile on with another one - I'll be back in BKK in a few months and wondering how available the drugs i'm taking are - rampril/altace 5 mg, crestor 10mg and plavix 75 mg..

My guess is they are cheaper in BKK than here in the US, any idea of where I can get info on cost? thanks

Ok let me pile on with another one - I'll be back in BKK in a few months and wondering how available the drugs i'm taking are - rampril/altace 5 mg, crestor 10mg and plavix 75 mg..

My guess is they are cheaper in BKK than here in the US, any idea of where I can get info on cost? thanks

It is only drugs that are locally produced that are much cheaper. Patented imports will cost about the same or only slightly less. They are subject to an import duty.

I believe all off the drugs you mention are still under patent.

It is only drugs that are locally produced that are much cheaper. Patented imports will cost about the same or only slightly less. They are subject to an import duty.

Sheryl is there really an import duty on medication? I know there is/was a 30 duty on health supplements but I thought there was none on medication or medical devices (since 1988).

My experience is that the meds they sell you at hospitals (particularly the 5 star hospitals) are VERY expensive; highly marked up.

My wife usually goes over to the Victory monument area, where their are a number of pharmacies....meds there are at least 30% (and in some cases 60%) cheaper than at hospitals.

Last week she went to a huge place across from the hospital that the King uses (near Supatra"s Riverhouse restaurant), and they were even less expensive there.

I've also noticed that doctors here, unless asked, do not explain what the drugs are for and possible side effects.

What about all the Indian generic stuff - is it available in Thailand?

What about all the Indian generic stuff - is it available in Thailand?

Not that I have seen. Thailand has its own pharmaceutical industry and produces its own generics.

Sheryl is there really an import duty on medication? I know there is/was a 30 duty on health supplements but I thought there was none on medication or medical devices (since 1988).

AFAIK pharmaceutical products imported for retail purposes are still subject to duty. this is what pharmacists continue to tell me and I haven't seen or heard otherwise. Which to my understanding is why they are so much less expensive in Cambodia.

Imports for personal use, I don't know.