The Penalty Spot - Sukhumvit

mrtoad

Beware of The Penalty Spot.

Just giving a heads up on this place.

Went in last night for a couple of beers with some friends. First order was incorecct, but no problem, these things happen. Had several drinks, and then one of my friends checked bill as he was leaving. Decided to stay for a couple more, and when I checked bill again, they tried to load the previous bill onto the second. I pointed this out and was given abuse from one of the staff, who impolitely told me "you pay, you drink" amonst other things.

Manager eventually came over, and the issue was resolved after some debate, but it was quite clear from the reaction that this may be a frequent scam. I got the feeling that they don't really give a shit about their customers.

Anyway, they've lost a customer, and judging on several other comments that I have heard on here, and also through people that I know this bar is starting to get a reputation. I for one will certainly not be going back.

Went in last night for a couple of beers with some friends. First order was incorecct, but no problem, these things happen. Had several drinks, and then one of my friends checked bill as he was leaving. Decided to stay for a couple more, and when I checked bill again, they tried to load the previous bill onto the second. I pointed this out and was given abuse from one of the staff, who impolitely told me "you pay, you drink" amonst other things.

Manager eventually came over, and the issue was resolved after some debate, but it was quite clear from the reaction that this may be a frequent scam. I got the feeling that they don't really give a shit about their customers.

Anyway, they've lost a customer, and judging on several other comments that I have heard on here, and also through people that I know this bar is starting to get a reputation. I for one will certainly not be going back.

Football forum Mr Wart too, geeze they must have really p'd you off. :o

I don't know the place...where exactly is it, and what kind of bar? thanks....

Its a sports bar on about soi 27/29 suk. Nice layout but staffed (from what I hear) by Tilac service girls.

There is a review in the Bangkok Post Guru magazine today I think.

Thanks James.... Guess I'll have to miss footie there.... :o

The shame is it looks like a really nice place. Maybe they can sort out the staff issue before its too late.

I agree, it is a nice layout, and the band are half decent. They just need to sort out their staff, the sort of nonsense that we had last does not bode well for repeat business.

Yes, James they did Piss me off :D

Thanks James.... Guess I'll have to miss footie there.... :o

The shame is it looks like a really nice place. Maybe they can sort out the staff issue before its too late.

I agree, it is a nice layout, and the band are half decent. They just need to sort out their staff, the sort of nonsense that we had last does not bode well for repeat business.

Yes, James they did Piss me off :D

I know the feeling, i was sitting outside their affiliated establishment down soi cowboy way trying to watch a big game recently on their 42 inch plasma that they have outside, and in between the bg's yacking and eating somtum while chatting and the indian watch sellers / mahouts / changs and other assorted interruptions, I forgot who won the game. Inconsiderate morons!!!

I spotted this place a couple of weeks ago as I headed to soi 22 in the daytime and wondered

if it might be a decent gaff.

Anyone got anything good to say about it?

Long walk from the jungle to soi 22 mate.....

Edited by dekka007

I was down there on Sat. Its two for one until whatever time..... But at 140 THB for one Singha, its hardly a worthy happy hour now is it?

Off topic - but 140 THB a Singha is way expensive isnt it? For a random Suk pub? That works out to £2.25 a bottle - which is what i pay in England for a bottle of decent pilsner.

For that price in BKK.... a lovely young thing better be massaging your private parts as part of the deal.

Otherwise, for beer alone, you're getting ripped off... especially if its only 1 Singh bottle for 140 baht. Two bottles for 140 baht is more of a normal pricing, unless its someplace special in some way.

I was "sniffing" about this area last night and decided to go in.

Really nice interior, Johnny of O'Reillys fame was doing his stuff.

The pint of Heineken tasted so good I ordered another! :D

140 baht for a draft pint which I though was ok.

Nice place & good beer - I will go back.

Only problem I could see was the skanky hostesses hanging about, but it wasn't hard sell - the old guys in the place seemed to like them though! :o

A few weeks ago a waitress tried to pull a fast one there when I paid for 1 beer with a 1000 baht note. She gave me change from a 500 hundred and insisted I had paid her 500. The mamasan or whoever had to step in and I got my correct change. This place has the same owners as country road on cowboy. Same thing happened there.

As a follow up, a few mates of mine know the owners of this establish via another entertainment spot (not mentioning names).

I mentioned the issues to them and they said they would pass it along to those concerned. Time will tell if they heed this advice or not.

A few weeks ago a waitress tried to pull a fast one there when I paid for 1 beer with a 1000 baht note. She gave me change from a 500 hundred and insisted I had paid her 500. The mamasan or whoever had to step in and I got my correct change. This place has the same owners as country road on cowboy. Same thing happened there.

I think the bar they own on Cowboy is actually 'Tilac' not Country Road.

Edited by thecatman

Correct.

Off topic - but 140 THB a Singha is way expensive isnt it? For a random Suk pub?

Not really. 140 for a pint is reasonable for a Sukhumvit pub. During happy hour, 70 Baht per pint, is a very good price.

Correct.

Off topic - but 140 THB a Singha is way expensive isnt it? For a random Suk pub?

Not really. 140 for a pint is reasonable for a Sukhumvit pub. During happy hour, 70 Baht per pint, is a very good price.

Maybe a pint is okay but i think he's on about a bottle which is way to steep in my world

• 2 months later...

They didn't try to shake us down with bill padding or anything of that sort, but all the other criticisms in this thread remain valid (as of Dec 19th).

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays & Happy New Year,

Neo

i have visited a few times since it opened and have not had a problem. i find it to be a reasonable place to stop for a drink. could use more menu items for those wanting to eat.

i am really amazed at how quickly it has taken off. i pass it daily and it has been a winner (in terms of good traffic flow) since day one it seems. the owners seem to have hit a home run with that bar - seems they own tilac as well and it seems to do well also, so hats off to them.

their is another new bar down at asoke, charlies. it has a few floors with different themes and is a real contrast, in that it opened around the same time as this one but they are having a lot harder time getting customers.

I spotted this place a couple of weeks ago as I headed to soi 22 in the daytime and wondered

if it might be a decent gaff.

Anyone got anything good to say about it?

i was in there the other night with a couple of friends , bill came , it was correct , i paid and when i got the change back i inadvertently left a 500b tip in the folder instead of my usual 20b tip , the waitress came back , showed me the folder with the 500 and said "are you sure?" , i took back the 500 and palmed her a 100.

Please stop with the trolling posts man...it's getting old.

Edited by damian5000

Please stop with the trolling posts man...it's getting old.

:o Mmmm. Pot, kettle, black. Think you've lost any credability with your poor attempt today. Still can't understand how you've derived that this poss is a troll, but well done for trying to be funny.

Enjoy your eveing under the bridge.

i was in there the other night with a couple of friends , bill came , it was correct , i paid and when i got the change back i inadvertently left a 500b tip in the folder instead of my usual 20b tip , the waitress came back , showed me the folder with the 500 and said "are you sure?" , i took back the 500 and palmed her a 100.

That's good, maybe they have got their act together.

Edited by mrtoad

I went in here last Saturday afternoon. It's a nice looking place with loads of potential, but I agree with the comments about the staff. When I was in there they had a screeching 2 year old kid running around the tables being chased by 2 or 3 screaming bargirls.

I went in with the intention of trying the food, reading the paper and having a few beers but I ended up swigging down my beer and leaving ASAP. Apart from me and the girlfriend there was only one other guy in there and he also necked his beer and left before me. I hope they get it right because apart from that it seemed like a decent place to relax and watch the sport.

• 4 months later...

The bar is linked to both the Tilac bar and country rd on soi cowboy

the female "boss" is also numer 2 at tillac and some of the girls who worked at country rd moved over there....one NUNG is a large chested long haired girl who is a favourite with the farangs and was sent over to the bar to liven things up a bit.

just make sure you aint that drunk and be on your guard as with most bkk bars