Shock Price Quote For An 11cbm Container!

didster

Hi there,

I am in shock! I have just had a quote for a shipment from Chiang Mai to UK and it is the following:

Household goods (11 cbm) - 154,570THB + 10,819THB = 165,389 THB !!!!! And this doesn't include customs duties and taxes.

And my husband will have to do without a motorbike as this alone cost another 65,000 THB.

Has anybody recently moved things to UK - so has anybody got any approx. prices and if so, which shipment company did you use? Is this price totally unrealistic?

Please help!

I'm not totally sure about this but my friend said last year that he was looking at shipping things back for B800 per cbm but it was freight and took a few months, try looking at thai post if you haven't already.

I'm sure someone will have a better solution than me, sorry :o

Hi there,

I am in shock! I have just had a quote for a shipment from Chiang Mai to UK and it is the following:

Household goods (11 cbm) - 154,570THB + 10,819THB = 165,389 THB !!!!! And this doesn't include customs duties and taxes.

And my husband will have to do without a motorbike as this alone cost another 65,000 THB.

Has anybody recently moved things to UK - so has anybody got any approx. prices and if so, which shipment company did you use? Is this price totally unrealistic?

Please help!

YES, this price is very much over the top. I am a Freight Forwarder based here in Bangkok. Does your offer include packing?

We recently moved an entire 40' (62cbm) to Central Europe and the price was around 150K THB. PM me if you need more info.

I know it may not help much - but just for a frame of reference - 40 foot container

US westcoast - bkk = approx - $7200 US dollar - door to door - Allied shipping company

I know it quite a bit more expensive - but I like their reputation and services

best of luck

Hi there,

Please help!

I think someone has gotten a new calculator and is trying out how the multiply function is working!

:o

I shipped a 20" container of household goods from Thailand to Norway in mid July, the price came to a grand total of 85.000 baht. This included all fees and road transport from my home in Pattaya to the port (Laem Chabang) I used U.A.S.C (United Arab) because they had the best dates in regard to my shipping date. I got about the same price quote from Evergreen as well, but the container would arrive a week later in Norway. Both of these companies have offices in Thailand, and are located close to Laem Chabang where your container will be shipped from. I think it's important to use a company witch has local reps since they tend to know the Thai custom officials, and know how to "grease the wheels". In my case their Thai rep came to our house and sat down with us, going trough our inventory and guiding us on what to put on the paper (there are certain things prohibited from exporting from Thailand such as teakwood, ivory, buddha images and so on) In my case they came with the container on a truck to my house on the day agreed on. I hired the local motorcycle stand (four guys) to do the loading for 2.000 baht. I did the packing myself, (actually it was done by my wife and MIL, they started two weeks before the actual moving date), and found that hassle free but YMMV.

Some pitfalls to be avoided.

Make sure your shipping date is as close as possible to the shippers shipping date, you don't want your container sitting in the port longer than necessary, and possibly being "held for ransom" by the custom officials.

All container shipments are supposed to be sealed with a special disposable lock with a unique number on it, it doesn't have a key but will have to be cut in order to open the container. Make sure you seal it yourself before the truck leaves, since this will prohibit anyone from opening your container without you knowing. the driver of the truck should have this seal with him, if he doesn't, don't load the container.

Make sure the shipper takes care of all transport/packing costs and add that to your bill, and get a quote for all included.

Last but not least, make sure you don't pay for the shipping until your container is already at sea, this should be easy if you timed it right.

(edit)

Make sure you don't leave Thailand before you have gotten your bill of lading without this paper you won't get your container released when it arrives.

The BL will normally not be produced until after the payment has been done.

that's how I did it.

good luck

Morty

Edited by Morty