Tuk Tuks

wedders

Regularly take tuk tuks in CM, maybe three or four times every day. Not naming names, but I have become a bit worried about my regular driver recently. Getting more and more aggressive from lunchtime onwards, a drink thing. I'm pretty unflappable, but there's a limit. Especially as the gf is 8 months pregnant.

In Europe I would say why I was concerned straight up, and that if things didn't change, I would! But this is Thailand, there's the 'face' thing, etc. Shame because he's a great guy.

So in the meantime - at least until I've worked out how to tell him - I want to add a couple of names and numbers to my list of contacts. Any recommendations of drivers that don't think they're racing against Lewis Hamilton (F1 driver to any Americans that haven't heard of him :o ) each time I fancy a comfortable and (relatively) safe drive through town? I live on the SE corner of the moat. Basic English would help, my Thai is rubbish.

Thanks!

Regularly take tuk tuks in CM, maybe three or four times every day. Not naming names, but I have become a bit worried about my regular driver recently. Getting more and more aggressive from lunchtime onwards, a drink thing. I'm pretty unflappable, but there's a limit. Especially as the gf is 8 months pregnant.

In Europe I would say why I was concerned straight up, and that if things didn't change, I would! But this is Thailand, there's the 'face' thing, etc. Shame because he's a great guy.

So in the meantime - at least until I've worked out how to tell him - I want to add a couple of names and numbers to my list of contacts. Any recommendations of drivers that don't think they're racing against Lewis Hamilton (F1 driver to any Americans that haven't heard of him :o ) each time I fancy a comfortable and (relatively) safe drive through town? I live on the SE corner of the moat. Basic English would help, my Thai is rubbish.

Thanks!

If your Tuk Tuk driver is not driving safely, please TELL him. It is commonly done by most everyone. 'Face' has nothing to do with it, so don't be afraid to tell him :D

Edited by Ajarn

Thanks!

If your Tuk Tuk driver is not driving safely, please TELL him. It is commonly done by most everyone. 'Face' has nothing to do with it, so don't be afraid to tell him :D

I shall - at least to salve my conscience should anyone else be unlucky enough to be in a crash in his 'care'! No guarantees that a drinker will stop drinking though - you know how it goes. So I would still like a couple of new numbers on my mobile, if anyone is prepared to pass on some suggestions ...

(I do have one alternative, but he drives so slowly we get overtaken by samlors :D ) ....

Thanks!

A bit off topic.but has anyone seen the De-luxe Tuk Tuk thats about. Saw it parked at Tesco the other day.....Streamlined body...the Rolls Royce of Tuk Tuks I guess. Didnt have my camera with me ,so no Pic.

tigerbeer - I don't any more - that's the whole point. He was fine a while back, but people change.

Chuckler - songtaews aren't that convenient sometimes, depending on where you want to go, and how quickly you need to get there. I've had long waits sat in one at the likes of a shopping centre, waiting until the driver gets at least one extra passenger before leaving. Plus it's not easy to explain the more obscure destinations to most when you have somewhat limited Thai (I'm working on it ...)

...songtaews aren't that convenient sometimes, depending on where you want to go, and how quickly you need to get there. I've had long waits sat in one at the likes of a shopping centre, waiting until the driver gets at least one extra passenger before leaving. Plus it's not easy to explain the more obscure destinations to most when you have somewhat limited Thai

Thank you Wedders, for alert about drunk tuk-tuk drivers.

Valuable warning.

All my experiences agree with Wedders' comments above in favour of Tuk-Tuks.

However, there is one more factor that I will add.

Chiangmai has lots of of wild-and-reckless tuk-tuk drivers, but songtaew drivers are, by contrast, very careful drivers.

You can hire a songtaew for a private trip, just like a tuk-tuk or a taxi.

The songtaew will take you anywhere you want to go, immediately and directly.

(Songtaew = red jitney)

I have done exactly that for shopping -- with lots of bags from Carrefour and want to go straight home.

If you hire the songtaew -- rather than merely ride as a passenger -- you'll have no wait for other passengers, and no stops along the way.

The songtaew drives directly to my front door, and, invariably, the driver helps carry the bags inside.

I've also hired a songtaew by the hour -- such as to go to several locations that I wanted to photograph.

Again, no other passengers and no other stops; just direct to each destination, and waited patiently while I took photos.

Very convenient.

Another benefit when renting a songtaew, is you may sit up front with the driver, if that seat is available.

In some -- but not all -- the air-con will be working.

But sometimes wife or children will be riding there.

As for prices, rates for renting a songtaew are almost exactly the same as a tuk-tuk.

One-way trip, say from Arcade bus station to some other part of town: 80-120 baht.

Around the city: 200-250/hour.

While I'm a big fan of using songtaews for private trips, tuk-tuk drivers are much more used to dealing with foreigners, and much more likely to have some patience for doing so.

Tuk-tuk drivers know the hotels, guest houses, and tourist sights far better than songtaew drivers.

A tuk-tuk driver is likely to understand some English, and, if he doesn't, he'll use his mobile phone to call a friend who does.

On the other hand, songtaew drivers are not used to dealing with foreigners, don't speak much English, and are unlikely to have cell phones.

So for those with limited Thai, the tuk-tuk is more likely to get you where you want to go.

For those wanting to rent a songtaew, the word for that in Thai is, "bpai-dtrong".

It means, "go direct".

Many songtaew drivers will understand if you say, in English, "go now".

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

Buy a car.

Got any intelligent suggestions vaguely linked to the original query?

Yes. Buy a car. Drive yourself and don't rely on others who may be drunk.

If it had been practical and/or possible to buy a car, I obviously wouldn't have posted the query in the first place. I didn't realise that I also had to spell out the alternative options that *weren't* available to me, for the benefit of the hard of thinking. Apologies.

:o

...songtaews aren't that convenient sometimes, depending on where you want to go, and how quickly you need to get there. I've had long waits sat in one at the likes of a shopping centre, waiting until the driver gets at least one extra passenger before leaving. Plus it's not easy to explain the more obscure destinations to most when you have somewhat limited Thai

Thank you Wedders, for alert about drunk tuk-tuk drivers.

Valuable warning.

All my experiences agree with Wedders' comments above in favour of Tuk-Tuks.

However, there is one more factor that I will add.

Chiangmai has lots of of wild-and-reckless tuk-tuk drivers, but songtaew drivers are, by contrast, very careful drivers.

You can hire a songtaew for a private trip, just like a tuk-tuk or a taxi.

The songtaew will take you anywhere you want to go, immediately and directly.

(Songtaew = red jitney)

I have done exactly that for shopping -- with lots of bags from Carrefour and want to go straight home.

If you hire the songtaew -- rather than merely ride as a passenger -- you'll have no wait for other passengers, and no stops along the way.

The songtaew drives directly to my front door, and, invariably, the driver helps carry the bags inside.

I've also hired a songtaew by the hour -- such as to go to several locations that I wanted to photograph.

Again, no other passengers and no other stops; just direct to each destination, and waited patiently while I took photos.

Very convenient.

Another benefit when renting a songtaew, is you may sit up front with the driver, if that seat is available.

In some -- but not all -- the air-con will be working.

But sometimes wife or children will be riding there.

As for prices, rates for renting a songtaew are almost exactly the same as a tuk-tuk.

One-way trip, say from Arcade bus station to some other part of town: 80-120 baht.

Around the city: 200-250/hour.

While I'm a big fan of using songtaews for private trips, tuk-tuk drivers are much more used to dealing with foreigners, and much more likely to have some patience for doing so.

Tuk-tuk drivers know the hotels, guest houses, and tourist sights far better than songtaew drivers.

A tuk-tuk driver is likely to understand some English, and, if he doesn't, he'll use his mobile phone to call a friend who does.

On the other hand, songtaew drivers are not used to dealing with foreigners, don't speak much English, and are unlikely to have cell phones.

So for those with limited Thai, the tuk-tuk is more likely to get you where you want to go.

For those wanting to rent a songtaew, the word for that in Thai is, "bpai-dtrong".

It means, "go direct".

Many songtaew drivers will understand if you say, in English, "go now".

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Thanks, really useful advice and points Oneman. I've hired a songtaew once with a load of boxes and bags from Tescos - but as you say, communication isn't always that easy. Those prices for private songtaew hire seem pretty much the same, except for the shorter trips around the centre which still seem to be around 40 or 50 bt (daytime) in a tuk-tuk.

Try telling him that your gf "mee tong" (is pregnant), she "may sabai" (sick) and "ja uoc" (will vomit), "tha khun kap reo" (if you drive fast).

That and little tip might work.

I have (personally) seen a tuk-tuk flipped over on its side when taking a corner too fast. There were 4 elderly large (read 500+ kg total) farrang in the back. Not a pretty sight. Driver probably didn't understand that such a load would affect the F1 handling of his tuk-tuk.

Good luck

Regularly take tuk tuks in CM, maybe three or four times every day. ... I want to add a couple of names and numbers to my list of contacts. Any recommendations of drivers ... comfortable and (relatively) safe drive through town?

Just today I rode with the best tuk-tuk driver I've ever experienced in Chiangmai.

He was so much better than any of the others here, that I'm still in a state of wonder.

Based on that one ride today, I recommend this tuk-tuk driver, and am happy to pass on his phone number.

I asked him to take me to two locations, one quick stop, then my final destination.

He was very agreeable and asked a reasonable fare for the distance.

He drove carefully, watching traffic on both sides, alert to cars merging from roads along the moat.

Eased smoothly going into the curves, and powered lightly going out, as a trained driver would do.

Name is Khun Ot. (As in Ottoman) Thai: อ๊อด

Said he most often works the areas around Narawat Bridge and Anusarn Market.

His English is average for a tuk-tuk driver.

I think rules prohibit posting a personal phone number on the open forum, so if you want his number, just send private message to me.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

Ask your gf to tell him to slow down this assumes that she is Thai and you are able to communicate with her. I have told tuk tuk to slow down and had no problem and I have had the girl I was with tell the driver without any problem

If you are not happy do not use him .

Buy a car.

If it had been practical and/or possible to buy a car, I obviously wouldn't have posted the query in the first place. I didn't realise that I also had to spell out the alternative options that *weren't* available to me, for the benefit of the hard of thinking. Apologies.

That's a bit harsh, he was just trying to be helpful. Have you considered a motorbike then?

Thanks!

They used to double as One-2-Go pilots on their off-days.

Buy a car.

That's a bit harsh, he was just trying to be helpful. Have you considered a motorbike then?

Sounded more like something approaching sarcasm to me. And that was before I checked out the tenor of a fair percentage of his other posts.

No, I haven't considered a motorbike. I was looking for safe options and alternatives.

• 1 month later...

A friend of my wife drives a tut-tut in C.M. Rune (the tut-tut driver) speaks good english and is dependable. She also worked with my wife as a massuge outside of a temple at T.P. Gate, where I met them. She still does that on the side, so you could have a tut-tut ride back home and then a massage. PM me if you want her phone number

Edited by Dean1953