Mustard Watch

MKAsok

A while back I was stupid enough to mention in some thread that Colman's English Mustard was available at Tops on Suk 19. Since then some smart arse has been down there and bought their entire stock (believe me they had a lot). Anyway, I'm on the lookout for more obviously, so please post any Colman's English Mustard sightings here, as you see them, so we might have live 'real time' information as to its whereabouts. Thanking you in advance...

mk

A while back I was stupid enough to mention in some thread that Colman's English Mustard was available at Tops on Suk 19. Since then some smart arse has been down there and bought their entire stock (believe me they had a lot). Anyway, I'm on the lookout for more obviously, so please post any Colman's English Mustard sightings here, as you see them, so we might have live 'real time' information as to its whereabouts. Thanking you in advance...

mk

Central PinKlao, in the new (refurbished) foodcourt. Bought a small jar last week to accommodate my pastrami on rye bread, because my own stuff wouldn't make the trick with that type of sandwiches...

But if you are talking about MOUTARDE, nothing to compare with Amora, I've got a 500gr/month addiction...

Carrefour being my cheapest dealer.

P.S.: I know Maille is the best (at least, here!)... but when buying from V.M. check dates

Thanks lg, though Central Pinklao's a bit of a schlep for me. Still, if needs must etc... Never tried 'Amora.' What's it like? How does it compare to English, or is it more Frenchy? (Not so keen on the French stuff to be honest)...

Thanks lg, though Central Pinklao's a bit of a schlep for me. Still, if needs must etc... Never tried 'Amora.' What's it like? How does it compare to English, or is it more Frenchy? (Not so keen on the French stuff to be honest)...

It is from Dijon, Burgundy in France. The place were the monks, on a rainy Sunday, created mustard, originally made with wine who turned vinegar. You can find Amora at Villa and Paragon ; Carrefour has a lesser known brand Edmond Fallet.

But, all these are the real French stuff...

mk

Central PinKlao, in the new (refurbished) foodcourt. Bought a small jar last week to accommodate my pastrami on rye bread, because my own stuff wouldn't make the trick with that type of sandwiches...

But if you are talking about MOUTARDE, nothing to compare with Amora, I've got a 500gr/month addiction...

Carrefour being my cheapest dealer.

P.S.: I know Maille is the best (at least, here!)... but when buying from V.M. check dates

Ya Amora is the bomb..............I wonder why thai's don't like mustard? :o

If you ever see Masterfoods brand, it's a good and firey English style mustard from Australia.

Excellent, cheers. Always good to have a 'plan b' for mustard.

Whilst the Colemans is good, the Masterfoods "Hot English Mustard" beats it hands down. Beware though, the nose burn factor is closer to a really good wasabi than the Colemans.

Personally, I keep a stock of both & rotate depending on meals and moods.

Also, there is another brand of hot english that comes in powdered form, can't remeber the name off the top of my head, however its worth giving a shot and its only about 30 baht for a reasonable size box.

Soundman. :o

If you ever see Masterfoods brand, it's a good and firey English style mustard from Australia.

Excellent, cheers. Always good to have a 'plan b' for mustard.

Whilst the Colemans is good, the Masterfoods "Hot English Mustard" beats it hands down. Beware though, the nose burn factor is closer to a really good wasabi than the Colemans.

I concur with that, I bought some Masterfoods mustard a while back as I couldn't find any Colemans, every other variety of mustard that I have bought here making the claim to be 'Hot English' has been a disappointment. Upon opening a jar of this stuff, thinking 'yeah,right' and inserting a fair quantity of it into my mouth, my next thought was 'jeeeesus' took a while for my eyes to stop watering too.

Villa Soi 11. They have both the Colmans mustard already made up, and also the powder so you can make your own.

As a Norwich boy, me and Colmans go back years. Just a few weeks ago I was in Norwich and wandered into the Colmans Mustard Museum . . very interesting.

Villa Soi 11. They have both the Colmans mustard already made up, and also the powder so you can make your own.

As a Norwich boy, me and Colmans go back years. Just a few weeks ago I was in Norwich and wandered into the Colmans Mustard Museum . . very interesting.

Excellent Bendix. Cheers.

Thaddeus or soundman - any ideas where the Masterfoods can be purchased? Sounds like I definitely need to try this stuff. Preferably within a reasonable radius of Asoke/Phetchaburi?

mk

Excellent Bendix. Cheers.

Thaddeus or soundman - any ideas where the Masterfoods can be purchased? Sounds like I definitely need to try this stuff. Preferably within a reasonable radius of Asoke/Phetchaburi?

mk

I have bought it at Foodland Lard Prao, Villa Thong Lor, and Villa Pahonyotin before. I dare say most foodland stores will carry it, however, couldn't be totally positive about that.

Cheers.

Here's a well kept secret.

Go to Jae Leng - near the old Airport.

It used to be known only for namebrand Cosmetics, Perfume, Handbags etc, which were brought into Thailand by Thai International aircrew.

Now they also sell canned foods etc..

Last week my wife went there and bought 16oz tin of Colemans Mustard (powder) for Baht 350.- , plus a lot of other items e.g. Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil for Baht 405.- .

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Gippy. Strangely enough I made a special mustard trip down to Foodland Suk 5 just last night for this very purpose. Got one of the big boxes of powder you're describing (nearly half a kilo!) for 398.50 bht. Expensive, but in the long run I'm guessing far better value than buying the small jars for 150 bht. Still on the lookout for the Masterfoods, but haven't seen it as yet...

mk