Xp Password

werbs

I have a small asus Eee pc that i use for travelling, anyway i had to take it back recently and have xp reloaded. yesterday I set up a password in user accounts for administrator and shut down the laptop. when i turned it back on it of course requested the password. when i typed in the password and pressed enter the asterix disapeared from the password box and the laptop never logged in, also when i click on password hint this does not show up.

i have tried a couple of times and always get the same result, i am unable to log in. is there anything i can do or will it involve reloading xp to the laptop?

Thanks in advance

:o

So can I clarify? It's not that you don't know the password, but you can't enter it is that correct? Sorry - re-reading your post that's exactly what you are saying- but you're not getting any message?. Try in 'safe mode'. (Hold down F8 as you boot). That might help (or might not but worth a go).

hi slip, I also tried in safe mode and the same thing happens, i enter the password, press enter and the password just disappears and i stay on the log in page, it gives no message, the password just disappears.

i tried also entering the wrong password to see if it gives a message but once again the password just disappeared when i press enter.

i would like to resolve it however i have no important docs on it so i could could go to fortune town and get it reinstalled, but i could do without that hassle

To me (and believe me, I'm no expert) that suggests that the computer is already hanging by the time you're coming to enter the password. Do you have an option when choosing safe mode for something like 'step by step' booting. Sorry ages since I had to try this will go and have a look now. If you can boot without autoexec.sys and config.sys maybe it might make a difference? I don't know if this is still an option. Hang on - will look at my own system.

If all else fails you can do the following.

Put xp disc in drive

restart the computer and press either delete or F1 as it boots.

Reset drive priority to make cd/dvd your default start drive.( sometimes need disable hard drive )

The computer should now show you the cd menu where there will be an option to repair your installation.

Good luck.

Well I'm getting nowhere. Benjamat I think he doesn't have the CD as he said he'd have to go to fortunetown to get it done.

You used to be able to boot with diagnostic start up even from safe mode if I remember correctly, maybe not, it was long ago.Anyway I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable than me will be along in a while.

Edited by Slip

There is a software name Password Changer which let you take out the password. But

1. you need a bootable Media (the eeePC maybe can use a bootable USB-Stick0

2. the software is payware

If you've an CD or DVD drive for to boot, PM me and maybe I can help you.

Cheers.

Try these two things, just incase the system didnt save your password.

Reboot, when it asks for a password hit the ESC button.

If that doesnt work, reboot and when it asks for the password hit the Enter key.

hi endure, it contains no numbers. but i feel if that was the case i would get a password error showing as opposed to just the password disappearing

The fact that it "disappears" is what stopped me from asking whether you had the language set correctly.

I had massive problems entering my English password until I realised the language was set to Thai! :o But I got the "incorrect password" error - it didn't just "disappear".

Hope you get it sorted.

well the problem is solved now guys, i went to fortune town today and after much head scratching they decided to reinstall xp

so the mystery as to what the problem actually was has not been solved but at least i can use my lap top again

thanks for all the suggestions

Hi :o

In case it happens again, there is another trick. I have seen that happening multiple times on XP-powered low-spec computers (Compaq Deskpro EN, Celeron 600, 128 MB RAM) and this trick worked always.

If the password just disappears, press "CTRL + ALT + DEL" two times (!!) and you will get the old-style login. There it WILL work.

Best regards.....

Thanh