Status And Financial Relationship In Thailand

drronnie

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And your point is?

What woman anywhere in the world wouldnt consider the financial security and status of her proposed spouse? It's got nothing to do with being Thai, and everything to do with being human.

at the risk of wrath of the fairer members, I would suggest is has everything to do with being female.

I have talked to a couple of Thai friends who told me that for Thai women financial security and a well to do status is preferred when you are planning a long term relationship. What is up with that?

What you mean "what's up with that?" It is normal for women to seek security, just imagine having a sister or daughter. Wouldn't you like them to have a relationship with financialy stable guy?

And your point is?

What woman anywhere in the world wouldnt consider the financial security and status of her proposed spouse? It's got nothing to do with being Thai, and everything to do with being human.

at the risk of wrath of the fairer members, I would suggest is has everything to do with being female.

Maybe it is the fact that in the West I have met women are more into just having fun and not really wanting to bind long term however in Thailand the women are looking for serious relationship and looking for someone who is more financial secure to build a relationship.

And your point is?

Maybe it is the fact that in the West I have met women are more into just having fun and not really wanting to bind long term however in Thailand the women are looking for serious relationship and looking for someone who is more financial secure to build a relationship.

Look at it this way mate (preparing for more wrath), if Thai fems weren't looking to you partly for financial security - they would have married / dated a Thai male.

Its pretty clear to anyone living on Earth that money class and the looks personality of the man are things that interest women

and its also clear to anyone living in Thailand that class and money matter more to Thai women than they do to Western women

western women want to pay for their own dinner and find a partner who will treat them as equals ---- to a certain extent that is -- of course they still want a rich man but other things matter more to individual women

thai women want a rich husband who will buy them stuff because they know that 99% of thai males are going to be unfaithful to them

these are stereotypes

like every argument here its somewhere in teh middle

but you will ahve people on both sides

one claiming

"oh you must spend all your time on soi cowboy if you think thai women care about money"

and the other side saying

"all thai women are money grubbing whores"

and i am sure guesthouse will come al0ng with some long drawn out post about farang being idiots

teh same tired and boring discussions over and over and over again

the fun thing to me about reading this forum is when i go outside i can sort of guess which type of farang is making which posts

Edited by lifeisrandom

1. Money. Financial security is number one. Why? Because is is very difficult for a Thai woman to be financially secure unless she has a great inheritance, or a suger daddy. Most woman in Thailand supposed to marry up to the relief of her parents. Most women in Thailand after graduating can mostly get office jobs as a career. A few become doctors, that's about it. Being a teacher or working for the government is very low paying.

2. Status. Status comes with money or money will come with status.

Even movie stars and models pick the richest guy they can find even if they are not in the industry. Look at Noon Worwarut or Tata Young, Kataleeya Macintosh, Gob Suwanan, etc. The list goes on. Even though they are financially well off they still marry up. I have yet seen someone marry down. Even with Tata Young's 100 million baht dowry from Prem the engagement was called off. I think she wants better status.

Good looks only last until the early 20's. In the end its always the money. Financial securoty also mean security for her family also.

Money or fidelity? Look at all the mistresses in Thailand.

If a couple has been together for many years through thick and thin. That is true love. Otherwise its just the marry up rule.

And your point is?

Look at it this way mate (preparing for more wrath), if Thai fems weren't looking to you partly for financial security - they would have married / dated a Thai male.

I didn't have a pot to piss in when I met my wife, and I don't have a great deal now but that hasn't stopped us from being happily married for 4 1/2 years, and yes she did have 'more wealthy' options available to her both Thai and Farang.

I am also sure that there are many others in a similar relationship to myself, the point being that it is clearly wrong to generalise.

And your point is?

Maybe it is the fact that in the West I have met women are more into just having fun and not really wanting to bind long term however in Thailand the women are looking for serious relationship and looking :o for someone who is more financial secure to build a relationship.

I didn't have a pot to piss in when I met my wife, and I don't have a great deal now but that hasn't stopped us from being happily married for 4 1/2 years, and yes she did have 'more wealthy' options available to her both Thai and Farang.

I am also sure that there are many others in a similar relationship to myself, the point being that it is clearly wrong to generalise.

Not bad for your first attempt at wrath, was expecting something a bit more top drawer but ok.

And your point is?

Maybe it is the fact that in the West I have met women are more into just having fun and not really wanting to bind long term however in Thailand the women are looking for serious relationship and looking :o for someone who is more financial secure to build a relationship.

Not bad for your first attempt at wrath, was expecting something a bit more top drawer but ok.

Sorry to disappoint, but I am not the wrathful type. :D

If a couple has been together for many years through thick and thin. That is true love. Otherwise its just the marry up rule.

True mdechgan. Met my wife in Malaysia 2 months before loosing life savings on stock market. My car got reposesed, condominium went to auction....

She sticked with me and 14 years later we are still together.

I have talked to a couple of Thai friends who told me that for Thai women financial security and a well to do status is preferred when you are planning a long term relationship. What is up with that?

What you mean "what's up with that?" It is normal for women to seek security, just imagine having a sister or daughter. Wouldn't you like them to have a relationship with financialy stable guy?

If I have a sister or daughter I would want them to have a man who is faithful and true. Being financially stable surely is a benefit however love should have first priority.

Dr Ron:

You are preaching to the conformed mate. I suggest you use that line on your sweetie.

Good luck.

So far 8 of 10 girls I have dated always asked me on the first date. "What do you do for a living?" :D:o

Well, (generalisation so bear with me) since you already know their profession, it seems like a perfectly ok question no?

And your point is?

And there are also many Thai woman who are looking for a short-term fling or just to have some fun.  But you wrote about a "long-term" relationship.  And that is the key. With the ever present exceptions, women from all cultures tend to seek men for a long-term relationship who can offer financial security or a well-to-do status.  Women have tended to gravitate towards the alpha male provider since time immemorial.

And your point is?

And there are also many Thai woman who are looking for a short-term fling or just to have some fun. But you wrote about a "long-term" relationship. And that is the key. With the ever present exceptions, women from all cultures tend to seek men for a long-term relationship who can offer financial security or a well-to-do status. Women have tended to gravitate towards the alpha male provider since time immemorial.

In short you are saying that in most cases women want to marry up. I think it is sad but true.

And your point is?

And there are also many Thai woman who are looking for a short-term fling or just to have some fun. But you wrote about a "long-term" relationship. And that is the key. With the ever present exceptions, women from all cultures tend to seek men for a long-term relationship who can offer financial security or a well-to-do status. Women have tended to gravitate towards the alpha male provider since time immemorial.

In short you are saying that in most cases women want to marry up. I think it is sad but true.

Who doesn't. I traded in a 30+ model back home for a 24 yr old. Simple math any way you add it up. :o

Dr Ron:

You are preaching to the conformed mate. I suggest you use that line on your sweetie.

Good luck.

So far 8 of 10 girls I have dated always asked me on the first date. "What do you do for a living?" :D:D

I hate to rain on your parade mate but 10 out of 10 girls I dated in Australia asked me what I did for a living. What's your point? :o

And your point is?

Why sad?  If we are geneticaly programmed to take care of our offspring, then "marrying up" is one way for women, who historically have had less earning power (however you decide to intrepret that phrase), to do this.  Yes, there are other ways, and women can certainly take care of their offspring alone, if necessary, but this is still a valid way.

Men have their own predilections as well.

Well, I do the asking of "what do you do for a living?"

It's not bc I cared for men's money-things. Is to know more about their lives, their interests.

So we can have more topics to talk together.

By the way, think in tingtong way, I cared for if that man works in sex-trade or drugs-trade.. so I will have to run away..

Money is maybe more important than love-feeling when have to decide having long-term relationship,

as I have seen most of my friends, most of them very much concerned for this, though they have good jobs.

My Ex, he didn't work and was not rich. He got will but not big amount from his family.

But this was not the point that I got together with him. We were also friends, so we both paid, that's when I was younger.

If you ask me now, I see money in marriage is more important than usually.

Dr Ron:

Good luck.

So far 8 of 10 girls I have dated always asked me on the first date. "What do you do for a living?" :D:D

I hate to rain on your parade mate but 10 out of 10 girls I dated in Australia asked me what I did for a living. What's your point? :o

My point is that, if I have a "low" job like factory worker, does it make me less attractive eventhough I might be a nice guy? Eventhough I am working in an office environment here in Bangkok, I really do not seem to attract interest to fellow female workers as they earn the same as me and are more interested in someone higher in the status ladder.

My point is that, if I have a "low" job like factory worker, does it make me less attractive eventhough I might be a nice guy? Eventhough I am working in an office environment here in Bangkok, I really do not seem to attract interest to fellow female workers as they earn the same as me and are more interested in someone higher in the status ladder.

maybe they dont want to marry an old guy much older than they are?

regardless perhaps try to spend more time 'around' the janitorial staff

First of all you shouldn't be fishing off the company pier.

I am sure in your office building there are tonnes of other cute little gals (sorry sexist comment) that would be interested / impressed with your line of work / salary.

I hate to rain on your parade mate but 10 out of 10 girls I dated in Australia asked me what I did for a living

I think it's just a normal getting-to-know-you question.

We seem to have a preponderance of evolutionary psychology believers here who will just say I am an exception, but I have never paid the least attention to the financial status of a partner.

Of course, it matters that I can support myself & if I had to support my parents/extended family I'd no doubt think differently. That element works to male advantage, I guess, if we look at it crudely.