Rottweiler Legislation?

Hi.

Apologies if this subject has been covered elsewhere. I've done a search and couldn't find any posts covering it.

Can anyone tell me if there is legislation in place in Thailand regarding the exercising of Rottweilers in public places? By which I mean: walking between home and our local shops, in the park, etc. We live in Isaan, in a village area and occasionally visit Khon Kaen city.

A Thai friend of mine said it was illegal to take a Rottweiler into any public areas, whether on a leash or not.

Any information would be gratefully accepted.

Thanx.

Hi.

Apologies if this subject has been covered elsewhere. I've done a search and couldn't find any posts covering it.

Can anyone tell me if there is legislation in place in Thailand regarding the exercising of Rottweilers in public places? By which I mean: walking between home and our local shops, in the park, etc. We live in Isaan, in a village area and occasionally visit Khon Kaen city.

A Thai friend of mine said it was illegal to take a Rottweiler into any public areas, whether on a leash or not.

Any information would be gratefully accepted.

Thanx.

unless theres been a fairly new law passed then as far as i know then there is no problem at all.

As you can see there are no problems at all, but I keep mine always on the leash in public areas:

post-2733-1224589340_thumb.jpg

Rottis have not a good reputation and most(many) people are a bit scared.

Gerd

Gerd, So why scare them? keep your dogs on your land not public

Dear Pushit,

I do not own these dogs to scare people!

Unfortunately you have not met them, absolutely gentle and a great and calm personality.

Gerd

Gerd: Yes you do own these dogs to scare people...OFF your property I hope.

Unfortunately in public places large breeds perform a simelar role in scaring the public.

Most recently a household pet Rottweiler mauled and killed a two year old girl in Bangkok.

According to press reports the dog was not destroyed but adopted by a unit of the Thai armed forces for ?????

I'm sure your dogs are great and calm personality in your household.

Large breed dogs do scare people even if you have no intention.

Meet our Jack Russell, her bark can shatter your eardrums!

Dear Pushit,

I do not own these dogs to scare people!

Unfortunately you have not met them, absolutely gentle and a great and calm personality.

Gerd

Gerd: Yes you do own these dogs to scare people...OFF your property I hope.

Unfortunately in public places large breeds perform a simelar role in scaring the public.

Most recently a household pet Rottweiler mauled and killed a two year old girl in Bangkok.

According to press reports the dog was not destroyed but adopted by a unit of the Thai armed forces for ?????

I'm sure your dogs are great and calm personality in your household.

Large breed dogs do scare people even if you have no intention.

Meet our Jack Russell, her bark can shatter your eardrums!

I've only been bitten once in my entire life and that was by a jack russell- nasty little so and so. I've never personally met a bad rotty- they are usually gentle giants in my experience.

What a strange argument you use with your mauling tack- yes there are bad dogs, there are bad people too, but civilised behaviour tells us we should act against the individual rather than tar everyone (or dog) with the same brush. Having said that I do think that if any dog mauls a child it should be destroyed or kept safely away from most human contact.

Large breeds do not scare me, but I'm very careful around small dogs- these mini-pincers that are common over here seem to be the most aggressive pound for pound. However, I recognise it would be just as wrong of me to generalise about a breed as it is of you.

Gerd (and OP), if your dogs are controlled when in a public place why shouldn't they be there? The western histronics about """dangerous""" breeds are just that. What nonsense!

Every evening I walk my pitbull around the block- he never starts any aggressive behaviour which is more than I can say for all those 'non-dangerous/ un-scary' breeds that we come across on our exercise.

EDIT: Mind you, it's a fair point- his behaviour is very different if someone looks like they want to come into my property. If I didn't know him better I'd be scared myself.

Edited by Slip

Many thanks for all your responses.

I've only recently acquired Tamsin (as a pup).

She seems to be a precocious, intelligent and very social dog.

I would never take any large dog into areas of distraction without 1) a leash and 2) full training.

There are no worries regarding her behaviour....

I just didn't want to run foul of the local constabulary in this matter. :o

Cheers.

I know we have wandered from the original question and a roaming stray soi dog is a greater danger than any dog accompanied by a responsible owner, regardless of breed/size.

I walk my 50% Rotties in public in the local area, dog loving people (mostly Thais in my area) comment how big they have got and how beautiful they are - these people (mostly dog owners themselves) pet and fuss the dogs with no problem.

Others will cross to the other side of the soi when approaching and are clearly not 'dog people', they stare at my two walking towards them wagging their tails and I slowly shorten their leash to signal to the approaching people that the dogs are under control and there is nothing to be scared about (also reassure the dogs that there is no threat, by talking and changing their leash slowly). If they make eye contact I have said in Thai that the dogs are friendly and cool tempered.

It is the perception of a fierce dog in the eyes of the on-looker rather than the dog itself.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like other people's children to be kept on a leash at all times.

• 2 weeks later...