Thailand Named Best Tourist Country

george

Thailand named Best Tourist Country

Thailand has been voted as the World's Best Tourist Country by Danish people and Danish tourism firms, a senior Thai tourism official said.

Manit Boonchim, director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand's Stockholm office, said some 8,000 Danish people and representatives of Danish tourism firms voted Thailand as the best tourist country in the world.

The result of the vote organized by tourism magazine, Stand By, was announced on October 9 at the Hilton Hotel in Copenhagen, Manit said.

He said Thailand won this award for two consecutive years.

-- The Nation 2008-10-25

Thailand has been voted as the World's Best Tourist Country by Danish people and Danish tourism firms, a senior Thai tourism official said.

Manit Boonchim, director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand's Stockholm office, said some 8,000 Danish people and representatives of Danish tourism firms voted Thailand as the best tourist country in the world.

The result of the vote organized by tourism magazine, Stand By, was announced on October 9 at the Hilton Hotel in Copenhagen, Manit said.

-- The Nation 2008-10-25

Right, I want to get in before all the whingers and say, I AGREE. Thailand is a wonderful country. To visit :o

No really. People living here need frequent reminders of how it was/is back in their home countries, and stop the whining about this one.

-- The Nation 2008-10-25

Right, I want to get in before all the whingers and say, I AGREE. Thailand is a wonderful country. To visit :o

No really. People living here need frequent reminders of how it was/is back in their home countries, and stop the whining about this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_Rankings

France is #1 in the World Tourism rankings that are compiled by the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) as part of their World Tourism Barometer publication.

I am a Frenchman living in Thailand since 2003 and it's great to live there despite a few occasional problems and I don't miss much apart our great variety of cheeses (not much in comparison can be found here) and our mountains because I really enjoy skiing in winter.

Best tourist country for what ?

Just what was the male / female ratio on that survey?

That is why , according to various reports , Thailand is down 20% and Cambodia is up 13% on tourism , i think the 'Cost factor ' is influencing many tourists and , of course , the envisaged current risk factor .

That's it, Best Tourist Country - 'voted as the World's Best Tourist Country by Danish people and Danish tourism firms'

I remember coming here as a tourist and loving it, it was new, exciting, cheap and fun all round :o

Is there somewhere to vote for the best(or the most infuriating :D ) expat country to live in?...

Edited by KohKarrang

Yes, Thailand is a great place to visit for some.

Yet, the other ngith in silom a western was beaten repeadly with a metal club and told to get out of Thailand. I don't know the reason, but not a good message for other passerbyers to see.

it's a very easy and wonderful country to travel around especially if you have kids but i'm surprised a european country is not top of the list of favourite spots as there is so much history beauty and damm good food, i love the aosta valley for the perfect mix for me

it's a very easy and wonderful country to travel around especially if you have kids but i'm surprised a european country is not top of the list of favourite spots as there is so much history beauty and damm good food, i love the aosta valley for the perfect mix for me

Remember the vote was by Danish tourists and Danish travel agents who probably have been to various parts of Europe many times before but recently have made up a majority of Thailands tourist industry, if the vote was made up of European countries as a whole I think Thailand may be high up there but perhaps not first, who knows...

-- The Nation 2008-10-25

I agree it is great here although sometimes there are some issues to moan about (I'm Scottish it is our hobby!!) but all in all it is fabulous here faults and all !! :D

Better by far than France !!! :D:D

Does the 'Stanby' magazine could photocopy and publish the receipt from the TAT check .... !

That was mean ... hit me, hit me ...!

Still Thailand is the perfect holiday country ... as most south-east asian countries are ... but winning the award 2 years in a row is a little stretching ....

-- The Nation 2008-10-25

Couldn't agree more. They so quickly forget their first visit.

Yes , just ONE COUNTRIES OPINION BY their tourism people .

Recently i read a report on world tourism , where-by Cambodia was number one and Switzerland number two for world tourism , mostly due , it would appear , due to Angor Wat . This was on a, prefered places to visit basis , not on actual visits .

Does the 'Stanby' magazine could photocopy and publish the receipt from the TAT check .... !

That was mean ... hit me, hit me ...!

Still Thailand is the perfect holiday country ... as most south-east asian countries are ... but winning the award 2 years in a row is a little stretching ....

Well, okay Seneque. So which country, South East Asian or no, would not be a 'little stretching'? ... Well ?

Recently i read a report on world tourism , where-by Cambodia was number one and Switzerland number two for world tourism , mostly due , it would appear , due to Angor Wat . This was on a, prefered places to visit basis , not on actual visits .

Um. Is that Angkor Wat in Cambodia, or the Swiss one? :o

-- The Nation 2008-10-25

I agree it is great here although sometimes there are some issues to moan about (I'm Scottish it is our hobby!!) but all in all it is fabulous here faults and all !! :D

And here's another thing. I recently had occasion to, again, defend the French. They have a great culture of wonderful artists, design, and food. Why does everyone dislike them so? :D

Um. Is that Angkor Wat in Cambodia, or the Swiss one? :o

Just joshing EH , shame realy , reality is showing up all over the world , most of it heading to the toilet .

-- The Nation 2008-10-25

I agree it is great here although sometimes there are some issues to moan about (I'm Scottish it is our hobby!!) but all in all it is fabulous here faults and all !! :(

And here's another thing. I recently had occasion to, again, defend the French. They have a great culture of wonderful artists, design, and food. Why does everyone dislike them so? :D

I agree, and allthough I haven't been there lately, I allways had the impression, that the french disliked me :D

Thailand has been voted as the World's Best Tourist Country by Danish people

Definitely there is an inverse relationship factor -- to how cold one's winters are.

Betcha this survey was taken in January, not August........ :o

But, not to take anything away from the conclusion -- climate certainly does, and should, play a factor in ranking tourist countries. And Thailand's climate, particularly in the winter months here, just can't be beat -- particularly when you're freezing your buns off in Scandanavia (or Buffalo, New York, for that matter).

:o:D:D

When there is nothing but bad news and shrinking tourism numbers, what better way to give hope than to grab at whatever can pass for good news these days, right?

It's wonderful that an advertising journal with approx. 22,000 subscribers from a nation that sends about 125,000 short term visitors on package tours to Thailand works hard to keep its business sector alive. However, it doesn't help when places like Pattaya report an 80% drop in Asian visitors. If I was a tourism official, I'd be investing in adult diapers due to the state of that multi billion person Asian market before crowing over a country with a population of 5.5 million.

The Danish population is a drop in the bucket. The annual number from Denmark equals about 1 month's worth of Chinese visitors (last year's numbers). The Danish market is tapped out. China is not.

All last year, the torism honchos were saying how westerners were not that important as the asian markets would provide the necessary growth. Well, surprise, surprise. Looks like those western farangs are important to them after all.

And no my comments don't mean that the Danes are insignificant. They are some of the best visitors if not for their good behaviour, then for their good looks :D .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_Rankings

France is #1 in the World Tourism rankings that are compiled by the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) as part of their World Tourism Barometer publication.

I am a Frenchman living in Thailand since 2003 and it's great to live there despite a few occasional problems and I don't miss much apart our great variety of cheeses (not much in comparison can be found here) and our mountains because I really enjoy skiing in winter.

wot, Ukraine is ranked 8th place with 23.1m plus tourists, ten places above Thailand. They're having a laff

unless that is they count the Red Army scattered around the borders as "potential tourists" :o

-- The Nation 2008-10-25

I agree it is great here although sometimes there are some issues to moan about (I'm Scottish it is our hobby!!) but all in all it is fabulous here faults and all !! :(

I agree, and allthough I haven't been there lately, I allways had the impression, that the french disliked me :D

Well, French people dislike themselves too! Parisians and inhabitants of Marseilles (without the final "s" in French) for instance are often critical and not always amiable (to say the least) towards each other. But, come on guys! Let's stop with the generalizations! Do you think that Britons, Americans, Aussies, Kiwis (etc.) are all of one and the same kind? Where have you been in France? How long did you stay? Can you speak French?

I've been in many countries in the World, and I can say that usually in every country, people are not acting the same in the capital city than in the other regions, and would be far more friendly if you try to speak their language. In France alas, people don't often speak English good enough (especially the elder ones) and it's not a good thing for most tourists who do not understand French of course... And I have to admit that many of my fellow countrymen may be arrogant (or seem to be) toward foreigners (a reason - but not an excuse - of this is the "glorious" past history of our country and the fact that French is with English the only language spoken in all continents in the World, so, that's why a certain percentage of the population can't understand why many tourists can't speak their language and many Frenchmen - even those who are more or less implied in a touristic activity such as bar and restaurant owners, taxi drivers, etc. - don't think that they should learn English, which is a clear mistake IMHO and the main source of misunderstanding).

Edited by Goyave

No, I do not speak the french tongue. And I was kind of joking about the french disliking me, allthough they have every reason to.

It has been allmost 20 years, since I set foot in France, the last time, and I guess alot has happend since then.

I had a great time in the french countryside, but the language?, was certainly a barrier.

Being danish, I do not expect tourists spending time here, being able to speak danish, and you cannot expect that danes can speak a foreing language, but they'll more than often, do their best.

Vive la France