Bringing A Handgun Into Thailand From Usa

John13

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guns are designed for one purpose and one purpose only, TO KILL.

In peacetime other than those who are in the armed services such a police and military, there is no legit reason why anyone should carry arms.

There are many ways of securing property and for those who believe they maybe subject to deadly attacks and having access to deadly weapons is the only solution, is extreme paranoia, the philosophy of the ignorant.

In peacetime other than those who are in the armed services such a police and military, there is no legit reason why anyone should carry arms.

There are many ways of securing property and for those who believe they maybe subject to deadly attacks and having access to deadly weapons is the only solution, is extreme paranoia, the philosophy of the ignorant.

Very well said...Sir...

The more a society is polished and civilized, the less its citizens would need to own a fire arm or other kind of weapon. Police and military forces exist for a reason (and judiciary systems too!).

If it's illegal to own a firearm it's also more difficult for the potential criminals to find and keep one. And whether it is legal or not in your country of residence, having one at home makes you a potential murderer (guns are made for killing humans and/or animals: it's their main and first functionality) and it should not be your job to "protect and serve" anyone unless you're a member of the police / army forces.

If you feel the need to have one firearm at home, it's because you don't trust your local law enforcement forces enough to protect you, and that's the REAL problem. At the end of the day, guns are NOT the solution. They are IMHO symptomatic of uncivilized and/or inequitable and/or corrupted and/or underdeveloped civilizations, times, societies... The Law of the Strongest (or of those who have the "biggest" - pun intended - weapon) as in the good old and wild times? Democracy is pointless then and why don't get rid off all those useless judges, lawyers, policemen, military men, governments (etc.)?

Edited by Goyave

I think we have all seen the consequences of trying to "out do " each other with weapons,.where has it ended ?,. no i like the "home alone approach ",. set up some traps,.much more fun and no one will be killed ( hopefully ), :D . seriously though best security is to have a "safe" room, let the mothers take the goods, they are replaceable,.., just dont harm your family, .if you go in guns blazing someone may /will be killed, and it may be you !,. :o edited for spelling before the TV police get me,.

Edited by imaneggspurt

LOL what utter crap!

If you hadn't had the help of the coward riddnen French, you would have lost! There were more French on Ameriacan soil against the British than Americans! When the British surrendered, it was due to the overwhelming French armed forces not the American anti clonialists. NO IDEA OF HISTORY! The French outnumbered the "Loyal" Americans by more than 2-1, go look in a REAL History book, not the kind of <deleted> history books you get in the good old US of A!

That is equally as wrong as the earlier post favoring the American side.

Washington did indeed have abotu 1/2 the troops as the French when they marched towards Yorktown. Washington left half of his army in New York to pin down Howe, then marched with a little over 2,000 Continental regulars with Rochambeua's 4,000 French regulars. However, prior to arriving in Yorktown, the were met up with over 3,000 Virginia militia and another 3,500 Continentals. Then Admiral de Grasse landed anotehr 4,500 Frenchmen, so the numbers of French to colonials was about even.

Actually, probably more important to the outcome was de Grasse's defeat of the British fleet sent to evacuate Cornwallis.

Of course, what any of this has to do with Thailand is rather open to conjecture! :o

It has great relevance to Thailand actually, had the American/French not won the war of independance, the Americans would esentially still be ruled by the British.

If America didn't exist, then it could never have participated (however late) in the 2nd World War, and Thailand would now be a Japanese colony! LOL

Touche! :D

Well said, indeed. I was (slowly) writing my own previous post (and it takes long as English is not my mother tongue) and you posted yours in the meanwhile that exactly summarizes what I wanted to say.

The more a society is polished and civilized, the less its citizens would need to own a fire arm or other kind of weapon. Police and military forces exist for a reason (and judiciary systems too!).

If it's illegal to own a firearm it's also more difficult for the potential criminals to find and keep one. And whether it is legal or not in your country of residence, having one at home makes you a potential murderer (guns are made for killing humans and/or animals: it's their main and first functionality) and it should not be your job to "protect and serve" anyone unless you're a member of the police / army forces.

If you feel the need to have one firearm at home, it's because you don't trust your local law enforcement forces enough to protect you, and that's the REAL problem. At the end of the day, guns are NOT the solution. They are IMHO symptomatic of uncivilized and/or inequitable and/or corrupted and/or underdeveloped civilizations, times, societies... The Law of the Strongest (or of those who have the "biggest" - pun intended - weapon) as in the good old and wild times? Democracy is pointless then and why don't get rid off all those useless judges, lawyers, policemen, military men, governments (etc.)?

Most gun owners I know in the USA are hunters and they hunt for food. I owned guns and didn't hunt but loved to go out and target practice. Why would this make us less "polished and civilized"? Target shooting is an Olympic sport.

Edited by JoeInSurin

He has a family and 4 kids.

4 more reasons not to have a gun in the house.

4 more reasons TOO have a gun in the house. Be responsible enough to teach them about the gun and let them know its not a toy. Over all its your responsibility as the man of the house to protect your family. A gun in the house is a good thing if your responsible enough to manage it.

Huey this is what happens when kids and guns mix ! In a UK paper today. A trajedy but expected really. Note that he classed his son as " very well trained "Id either move to somewhere safer or get a dog not a firearm.

A BOY of eight died after shooting himself in the head with an Uzi sub-machine gun.

Christopher Bizilj was aiming at a pumpkin at a gun fair when the weapon’s recoil forced it to jerk upwards — sending a bullet into his skull.

His distraught dad Charles admitted last night: “I gave permission for him to fire.”

He went on: “I watched several other children and adults use the Uzi. It’s a small weapon, and Christopher was comfortable with guns. There were larger machine guns with more recoil, and we avoided those.”

Christopher died in hospital. His dad, a hospital medical director, said his son had previous experience firing handguns, but had never fired an automatic weapon before.

Dr Bizilj added: “Christopher will be sorely, sorely missed. My son was very cautious, very well trained, and very much enjoyed firing.”

He said the family were coming to terms with Sunday’s incident in Westfield, Massachusetts, which he described as “a terrible accident”.

It is legal in America for children to fire a weapon if they have parental permission.

Although police called it a “self-inflicted accidental shooting”, officers are investigating.

Charges

But it is believed to be unlikely that any charges will follow.

District Attorney William Bennett said: “We are going to review all the circumstances regarding what happened — who was involved, and who was supervising.”

Westfield Sportsman’s Club, which runs the gun fair, said it was “all legal and fun”.

People are allowed to fire weapons at vehicles, pumpkins and other targets, it said.

The Israeli-made Uzi sub-machine gun is used by over 90 armed forces.

Its lightweight design, at about 7lb, has made it a favourite with bodyguards and for fighting at close-quarters.

4 more reasons TOO have a gun in the house. Be responsible enough to teach them about the gun and let them know its not a toy. Over all its your responsibility as the man of the house to protect your family. A gun in the house is a good thing if your responsible enough to manage it.

Huey this is what happens when kids and guns mix ! In a UK paper today. A trajedy but expected really. Note that he classed his son as " very well trained "Id either move to somewhere safer or get a dog not a firearm.

A BOY of eight died after shooting himself in the head with an Uzi sub-machine gun.

Christopher Bizilj was aiming at a pumpkin at a gun fair when the weapon's recoil forced it to jerk upwards — sending a bullet into his skull.

His distraught dad Charles admitted last night: "I gave permission for him to fire."

He went on: "I watched several other children and adults use the Uzi. It's a small weapon, and Christopher was comfortable with guns. There were larger machine guns with more recoil, and we avoided those."

Christopher died in hospital. His dad, a hospital medical director, said his son had previous experience firing handguns, but had never fired an automatic weapon before.

Dr Bizilj added: "Christopher will be sorely, sorely missed. My son was very cautious, very well trained, and very much enjoyed firing."

He said the family were coming to terms with Sunday's incident in Westfield, Massachusetts, which he described as "a terrible accident".

It is legal in America for children to fire a weapon if they have parental permission.

Although police called it a "self-inflicted accidental shooting", officers are investigating.

Charges

District Attorney William Bennett said: "We are going to review all the circumstances regarding what happened — who was involved, and who was supervising."

Westfield Sportsman's Club, which runs the gun fair, said it was "all legal and fun".

People are allowed to fire weapons at vehicles, pumpkins and other targets, it said.

Its lightweight design, at about 7lb, has made it a favourite with bodyguards and for fighting at close-quarters.

They wont beleive it dunc and coinsider them as dangerous as motorbikes, its the rider , blah blah blah,........that father will/should be haunted for making that decision, sad sad loss,. Not the kids fault at all ,. :o

Christopher Bizilj was aiming at a pumpkin at a gun fair when the weapon's recoil forced it to jerk upwards — sending a bullet into his skull.

His distraught dad Charles admitted last night: "I gave permission for him to fire."

He went on: "I watched several other children and adults use the Uzi. It's a small weapon, and Christopher was comfortable with guns. There were larger machine guns with more recoil, and we avoided those."

Dr Bizilj added: "Christopher will be sorely, sorely missed. My son was very cautious, very well trained, and very much enjoyed firing."

He said the family were coming to terms with Sunday's incident in Westfield, Massachusetts, which he described as "a terrible accident".

Although police called it a "self-inflicted accidental shooting", officers are investigating.

Charges

District Attorney William Bennett said: "We are going to review all the circumstances regarding what happened — who was involved, and who was supervising."

Westfield Sportsman's Club, which runs the gun fair, said it was "all legal and fun".

This is a tragic accident, but not really a call to arms to ban firearms. Bad things happen. It is a tragedy to those involved, of course, and my heart goes out to his family.

But kids die all the time. More kids die in auto accidents than in any other way. Yet we still drive them. When I was 10, my good friend was playing baseball when a hit ball struck him in the chest, killing him instantly. (Sports kill many children each year in the US.) Yet we encourage our kids to play sports. The point is, it is a dangerous world out there, and while we need to protect our children, we cannot wrap them in cotton cocoons to be let out when they turn 18.

And for the record, I am not a gun lover. I hunted with my dad as a child, but that was more to spend quality time with him. But since I don't like killing anything, I quit hunting as an adult. In the Marines, I have fired almost every kind of weapon, and I have shot competitively. So I understand firearms and am "gun-competent." But I have not fired a weapon out-of-uniform for maybe 30 years.

Most gun owners I know in the USA are hunters and they hunt for food. I owned guns and didn't hunt but loved to go out and target practice. Why would this make us less "polished and civilized"? Target shooting is an olympic sport.

Come on! All gun owners are only hunters or have one just for practicing target shooting? Highly doubtful. In several countries, you can buy a gun for hunting and/or target shooting too but you will need to obtain a legal license (It's certainly not as easy as in the USA for instance) before being allowed to acquire a firearm. And then, firearm owners represent only a very low percentage of the population.

By the way, the "polished and civilized" part of my previous post was not an attack against any particular country, but a general remark that certainly makes sense when studying the History of each civilization.

Edited by Goyave

Now shall we pull out the Pattaya City News with its daily recounting of death in Thailand by.. .

knives,

broken bottles,

baseball bats,

balcony-pushings,

and most pervasive of all--idiot drivers?

Gun control won't reform or restrain dark hearts. They'll always find a tool to do you in, even if it's their bare hands.

Edited by toptuan

Now shall we pull out the Pattaya City News with its daily recounting of death in Thailand by.. .

knives,

broken bottles,

baseball bats,

balcony-pushings,

and most pervasive of all--idiot drivers?

Gun control won't reform or restrain dark hearts. They'll always find a tool to do you in, even if it's their bare hands.

I did not say that gun control ALONE is the solution. But no gun control is certainly a problem.

Most gun owners I know in the USA are hunters and they hunt for food. I owned guns and didn't hunt but loved to go out and target practice. Why would this make us less "polished and civilized"? Target shooting is an Olympic sport.

Truly a disingenuous post. There are more pistols in the USA than rifles and shotguns put together. Very few people use pistols for hunting anything other than people.

Truly a disingenuous post. There are more pistols in the USA than rifles and shotguns put together. Very few people use pistols for hunting anything other than people.

Most people use rifles for hunting and pistols for target shooting. Everyone that ownes a pistol is a "people hunter"??

Edited by JoeInSurin

Your claim piqued my interest, and since I did not know if this was true or nto, but that is was a valid piece of information, I did some internet research. I found this:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sh...more/facts.html

According ot this, 8 firearms are made in the USA every mintue, of which 3 are handguns. WHile you cannot make a complete assumption based on this (imports, weapons being trashed, etc.) it would seem to me that there are slightly more longguns than handguns in the USA.

Come on! All gun owners are only hunters or have one just for practicing target shooting? Highly doubtful. In several countries, you can buy a gun for hunting and/or target shooting too but you will need to obtain a legal license (It's certainly not as easy as in the USA for instance) before being allowed to acquire a firearm. And then, firearm owners represent only a very low percentage of the population.

By the way, the "polished and civilized" part of my previous post was not an attack against any particular country, but a general remark that certainly makes sense when studying the History of each civilization.

Sure there are plenty of criminals that own guns with bad intentions. I am saying that the majority of people I know purchasing guns are for sporting reasons.

2 June 2000 in Norfolk, Virginia a burglar with a large knife broke into my place and WAITED for me to come home. If I did not have a gun I probably would have been killed. Fortunately for me I had a 38 revolver and shot him twice in the chest. The police told me that I did a good deed, the man was a creer criminal who had messed up a lot of people in the past.

The old saying sounds simplistic but it is true never the less. You may only need a gun once in your life but if you do you need it awfully bad.

Step 4: Pray she's a good shot.

I'd say, Pray the intruder isn't her boyfriend or Thai husband. :o

Like religion, drugs, politics, abortion and numerous other topics, there will always be pros and cons regarding gun control. People will (seemingly) always be able to find examples to support their arguments one way or the other.

For example, Washington DC banned handguns for decades, yet had one of the highest murder rates in the States. In other places that ban handguns, people are still being murdered, if not by guns, then by knives.

But is life any better in a place like Texas, where perception has it that almost everyone runs around "packing iron" ? Still a lot of crime and murders happening there.

With all the chatter about war between the Brits and Americans, lets look at something a little more recent. Pre-war Germany. The government instituted a gun registration. All the law abiding good citizens registered their firearms. (Allegedly) Just before the Nazis started rounding up the Jews, they went around to all their homes and confiscated their firearms. Knowing who had what, and disarming them beforehand, effectively prevented any kind of resistance.

Back during the "Cold War", I used to read a lot of books theorizing various scenarios and outcomes of an actual war. One well received theory was that the USSR would have like to wipe out the US, but knew it could never occupy the country. Too many Americans owned weapons. If even a small percentage of them actually engaged in armed resistance, the Soviets would never be able to control the country.

Looking at places like Iraq and Afghanistan now, and you can see the same problem. So many people have weapons that even a small percentage of them engaging in hostilities can bog down huge armies.

Ever see some of those funeral and political rallies in certain ME countries ? It looks like every person in the crowd is holding an AK (and often firing it into the air).

If everyone were to obey the law(s), act responsibly and respect their fellow man, gun ownership wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, that kind of society isn't likely to ever occur. The population of the world is increasing dramatically, and the earth's resources are shrinking even faster.

With or without guns, we will still find ways to destroy ourselves. Our instinct to survive will quickly outweigh our morals and we will be back to tribal/jungle mode (Us against them/Survival of the Fittest). You can pretty much guarantee that those who are armed will out-survive those that aren't.

Your claim piqued my interest, and since I did not know if this was true or nto, but that is was a valid piece of information, I did some internet research. I found this:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sh...more/facts.html

According ot this, 8 firearms are made in the USA every mintue, of which 3 are handguns. WHile you cannot make a complete assumption based on this (imports, weapons being trashed, etc.) it would seem to me that there are slightly more longguns than handguns in the USA.

Sorry, I didn't include weapons made for the mtilitary :o One would also need to exclude other 'non-hunting' weapons too I would guess ... like knock-off aussult weapons. Probably one would need to include shotguns made only for 'home defense' as well.

Surin is being disingenuous beyond belief though ..... while it is possible that he only knows hunters it is severely flawed logic to present that as fact when discussing guns in the US.

I am a gun owner in the US (and for the last 5+ years they have all been locked in a safe deposit box in Denver and a gun safe in Maine. because .... I live in Thailand)

... Looking at places like Iraq and Afghanistan now, and you can see the same problem. So many people have weapons that even a small percentage of them engaging in hostilities can bog down huge armies.

Iraq? Oh, you mean the country where weapons of mass destruction were supposed to be menacing the rest of the "free" World? Then, as an individual, I should be allowed to declare a "preventive" war to my neighbor because I suppose that he may have a bazooka at home? Anyway, even if he does not have one, he's a bad guy and his home would be a far better place if it follows my own rules... :D

With or without guns, we will still find ways to destroy ourselves. Our instinct to survive will quickly outweigh our morals and we will be back to tribal/jungle mode (Us against them/Survival of the Fittest). You can pretty much guarantee that those who are armed will out-survive those that aren't.

Wow! That's a very "optimistic" vision of our future. Let's happily live just like in prehistoric times! I have to agree that hunting the mammoths will be far more efficient with my neighbor's bazooka... provided that I can find the dam_n thing (the bazooka, I mean, not the mammoths!). :o

Edited by Goyave

First of all, there are more long guns in US than handguns. Secondly, in most parts of the US it is very difficult to obtain a handgun permit. In New York City it is almost impossible. Thirdly, many people use handguns for hunting, as well as target shooting. Why do these Europeans believe they are experts on guns in the US? I am not an expert on the gun situation in Europe. I never lived there. The US media publicizes any gun crime all over as most journalists are anti-gun liberals.Probably because so many people would understandably like to shoot them. Just kidding about that. Sort of.

Anyone who thinks it is a good idea to let burglars into their house and believes that these criminals will just take what they want and leave peacefully is about as swift as a sheep. Gun or not, if anyone breaks into my house I will do my best to kill them, gun or not, rather than wait around for them to kill me or my family. That is the American way, and I believe it is the Thai way too.

2 June 2000 in Norfolk, Virginia a burglar with a large knife broke into my place and WAITED for me to come home. If I did not have a gun I probably would have been killed. Fortunately for me I had a 38 revolver and shot him twice in the chest. The police told me that I did a good deed, the man was a creer criminal who had messed up a lot of people in the past.

The old saying sounds simplistic but it is true never the less. You may only need a gun once in your life but if you do you need it awfully bad.

And if you had left your gun in the house when you went out, on your return you would have been greeted by a robber armed with that and not just a knife.

Patrick

my friend who lives in thailand had many attempted break-in in the middle of the night. he spoke to a police officer and was quoted a price to purchase a handgun, the handgun, a glock he was selling was about three or four times the retail price in the USA. he has a family in thailand and four kids and was concerned. he asked me to check on line for him to see if anyone knows the procedure, or if it is even possible. thank you for any information and i will forward it to him.

I will appreciate any info you might find on this subject, I also wish to bring my own M-4 Carbine from Iraq :o

... Gun or not, if anyone breaks into my house I will do my best to kill them, gun or not, rather than wait around for them to kill me or my family. That is the American way, and I believe it is the Thai way too.

Fortunately, not all Americans think and act alike. And the following is for those (and I know many!) who have a good sense of humor...

372ed964cb.jpg

As for the other points, I don't want to repeat arguments of others or myself again. Read above and tell us what to do with all those useless judges, policemen, military men, governments, law makers, attorneys, etc...

Or woman !!

Yes , look at Canada, no facist laws on ownership , more guns per capita than US with a fraction of the gun violence.

It's the US violent media culture that kills people.

I think the Thai law regarding foreigners unable to own guns should be challenged. It's racist

I think the Thai law regarding foreigners unable to own guns should be challenged. It's racist

Maybe more xenophobic than racist.

Yes , look at Canada, no facist laws on ownership , more guns per capita than US with a fraction of the gun violence.

:o

Or woman !!

As I mentioned in an earlier post....foreigner is the operative word on the issue of owning a firearm in Thailand.

I would pose the same question I asked about a foreigner (a tourist) owning a firearm in the US....Can a tourist in Canada legally purchase and own a firearm for the duration of their stay without any legal status in Canada ?