Tubtim Fish, Anyone Know The English Name?

Smithson

I've been trying unsuccessfully to find out the English name for the fish Thai's call Tubtim. Does any body know? Also, how difficult is it to rear the fish and how long before they are ready to eat?

Cheers for the help.

Smithson,

Find attached document (with full credits to Nam Sai Farms, whose web site I dragged it from some time ago) it is the best overview on Tilapia growing here in Thailand I have read.

Tilapi_Farming_manual.doc

Isaanaussie

A friend of mine stocked his pond with pla nin and tub tim. He paid a premium for the tub tim. when he sells the fish, the pla nin are worth more. The locals like them better than the tub tim. In other parts of Issan, tub tim brings a higher price than pla nin. I can't tell any difference as far as taste. The pla nin in his pond are normally larger at the same age.

In Bangkok the tub tim are more expensive. I think they take longer to grow. Ozzydom was saying the locals in Isaan won't pay the extra and aren't that keen on the taste.

My wife wants to stock our pond with them because they look nice, so she can enjoy watching them before she eats 'em.

A friend of mine stocked his pond with pla nin and tub tim. He paid a premium for the tub tim. when he sells the fish, the pla nin are worth more. The locals like them better than the tub tim. In other parts of Issan, tub tim brings a higher price than pla nin. I can't tell any difference as far as taste. The pla nin in his pond are normally larger at the same age.

Yesterday Pla nin 17 baht/kg against Tubtim 115 baht/kg in Tesco Lotus in Song Phi Nong near us.

Yesterday Pla nin 17 baht/kg against Tubtim 115 baht/kg in Tesco Lotus in Song Phi Nong near us.

Are you sure the Pla nin was 17B a kg and not for individual fish? This price is very cheap and Tesco often sells by the peice, rather than kg.

Prefer Seafood once and for all!

What most locals do to fish out here is outrageous!

Either grilled to charcoal, fried till it has the texture of crisp cardboard, salted to death, or fermented till it smells like eaten once already, or bathed in chillies, garlic till one can't recognize the fish anymore.

:o

Edited by Samuian
  • Like 1

Either grilled to charcoal, fried till it has the texture of crisp cardboard, salted to death, or fermented till it smells like eaten once already, or bathed in chillies, garlic till one can't recognize the fish anymore.

:o

Yeah, but whatever they do to them, they still glow in the dark. We have all seen the flithy klong water in Bangkok and the results of phosphate runoff in the rivers. Yuck!

The locals around here normally wrap them in foil and cook them over charcoal. The skin peels off nicely and that is as good a way to eat fish as I know of. Of course the Thais have several different sauces to dip the meat in. Seldom do I eat fish here cooked any other way. The Thais may be able to eat fish bones but I can't.

• 3 years later...

Does anyone know if you can you buy / sexed female only tab tim ?

Andy

There's no point. The females are slower growing and if they are sex reversed I think I read somewhere that they are infertile

It's not like day old chicks where they divide the sexes. With the fish they feed them testosterone and change the females into males.

BTW don't eat too many capons (female hormones) or your bells will drop off

Bob

Does anyone know if you can you buy / sexed female only tab tim ?

There may be hatcheries who are prepared to sex Tabtim for you (at a price).Tilapia (including Red Tilapia) were originally hand /eye sexed .

Male fish have only the urinary orifice whereas females have a separate tiny orifice from where eggs are laid ,,I think a dye is applied to help show up this tiny orifice.

As GB says ,why would you want females? they are smaller and slower growing.(unless you had your tongue firmly in your cheek when you posed the question)whistling.gif

rolleyes.gif

Well ....My favourite way is to take a fillet of fish place in tin foil .. plus buter + Herbs+ garlic and bake for 20 minutes

Edited by Gladiator

Last year in late July we bought 1000 male sex/reversed red tilapia fry from a local government hatchery for 350 baht. The wife put them in a hapa for a month or so and transferred them to 2 nets, but didn’t sort by size, which only totaled about 9 sq meters (half of what is recommended). I only found out after I returned from work New Years. Also, the feed had been dropped to 25% protein to save money. I got the feed sorted, but the farm was very busy and we didn’t have another net. She started selling them in March(300 – 500gm) and finished in late April. She got 45 to 50 baht a kilo. Even with everything that was done wrong she still made a couple of thousand baht. I bought the last 10 kg of small fish for 40 bhat/kg and tossed them in my general fishing pond.post-137315-0-87657300-1336286701_thumb.