Wooden Floor Re-varnish And Repair

Rob5060

I want to get the wooden floors in my house repaired I guess that means sanded ande re-varnished

. . . . .

Anybody any recommendations where I can get a good job done . . .

I just had teak floors installed in my condo. The pre-finished wood pieces were supposed to form a finished floor once installed, but slight differences in thickness meant we needed to sand it level and refinish it. The person who sold me the flooring arranged to have the sanding done by a team that apparently does this kind of work regularly for hotels and other places in town. They did a very good job. No one on the team, however, spoke any English. I imagine they will also do finishing, although I won't be using them for that purpose. If you are able to work with a contractor who speaks only Thai, I would be happy to try to get for you, from the person who made the arrangements, a contact name and number for the team who did the sanding for us.

Edited by Rasseru

Tile, don't repair. it will only warp later on. It is hard to find a guy that can do Wooden floor repairs properly.

I can send you pictures of condos I know with Warped to buggery. They will use cheap glue and the heat here doesn't help either.

• 2 years later...
I want to get the wooden floors in my house repaired I guess that means sanded ande re-varnished

. . . . .

Anybody any recommendations where I can get a good job done . . .

I just had teak floors installed in my condo. The pre-finished wood pieces were supposed to form a finished floor once installed, but slight differences in thickness meant we needed to sand it level and refinish it. The person who sold me the flooring arranged to have the sanding done by a team that apparently does this kind of work regularly for hotels and other places in town. They did a very good job. No one on the team, however, spoke any English. I imagine they will also do finishing, although I won't be using them for that purpose. If you are able to work with a contractor who speaks only Thai, I would be happy to try to get for you, from the person who made the arrangements, a contact name and number for the team who did the sanding for us.

Hi.........Would you still have that phone number.? thanka

The shops that sell wood flooring can recommend installers who sand and finish. Top quality would likely be from Wood World's recommendation. Wood World is south of town on a road that runs between the Canal Road and the main road to Hang Dong, I think it is the one that goes out to Samung. Suksawat might also be helpful.

Yes you can re-sand and varnish your floor, I have had it done. It is a big job because they will bring in a machine that sands down the floor and creates dust everywhere. Then they will varnish it, at least 2 coats and it takes time to dry. You should do it before the wet season as high humidity leaves white marks in the varnish. If you Pm me I'll try to find the contact but you need a Thai language speaker

Tile, don't repair. it will only warp later on. It is hard to find a guy that can do Wooden floor repairs properly.

I can send you pictures of condos I know with Warped to buggery. They will use cheap glue and the heat here doesn't help either.

Hardwood floors shouldn't warp, unless perhaps they're very thin and/or butt right up to the walls. Ours (80m2 upstairs, hot) are several years old and are as flat as a witch's tit.

To refinish, they'll sand, repair any cracks and bung a couple coats of poly (not wood varnish) on there. A better, albeit non-rugged, finish is to use teak oil (or similar) after sanding. Nice and cool underfoot and easier to refinish later.

HomePro, et al, are not the right people to ask for this; check out the services thread at the top.

• 6 months later...

Digging up an old thread here. I wonder if someone would have a contact for a laminate floor repair shop. My floor has become a little damaged in some areas and i would like to fix it up. I am in the Sansai area.

Thanks

Hardwood floors shouldn't warp, unless perhaps they're very thin and/or butt right up to the walls. Ours (80m2 upstairs, hot) are several years old and are as flat as a witch's tit.

To refinish, they'll sand, repair any cracks and bung a couple coats of poly (not wood varnish) on there. A better, albeit non-rugged, finish is to use teak oil (or similar) after sanding. Nice and cool underfoot and easier to refinish later.

HomePro, et al, are not the right people to ask for this; check out the services thread at the top.

Good that you mentioned not having them but up to the wall. There should be at least a quarter of a inch between the flooring and the wall all the way around. Here in this humidity I would suggest a half inch minimum.

Hard wood flooring renovation.

There is 1 company in Thailand, and located here in Chiang Mai that is

certified by the National Hardwood flooring association. They speak fluent

English. To get this certification a company has to send a worker to America

for two week long, hands on testing to check proficiency and

understanding, as well as the ability to show they can do all kinds of work

properly.

A properly refinished floor will be repaired and re-sanded 60, 80, 100, 120,

and 150 grit. Most companies here simply do not do this. And that is why the

floor is not flat and smooth. After that a sanding sealer is applied and you

get grain raise so it is lightly sanded again with 150 grit. Then multi coats

of a water or oil based (depending on many conditions) polyurethane or epoxy

resin coating installed with sanding between each coat to remove dust and any

small bug that might have landed in the finish. This is a special flooring

coating with Aluminum oxide in it for wear resistance

So it gets down to what you really want. A cheep floor that look OK and with

proper care sill last a few years, or a floor that is nearly perfect and will

last year after year for longer than you are alive?

You get what you pay for. In the states this cost is about 1500 - 2000

bt a sq.m. Here where everything is imported and taxed it is

expensive.

• 9 years later...

In the USA Instead of re sanding there is a process called RE SCREENING. Same process, with a rough pad that takes off the top surface of poly or whatever they use to re coat. Takes out scratches but not deep gouges in the floor. I’m looking for someone that knows this process and it may help with you floors.

Whew!  After reading the previous two posts, I'm really glad we got a tile floor when we remodeled our condo.  They can do wonderful things with tile.  Ours are large pieces of tile that look like parquet wood.  Even have a feel like they have a wood-grain pattern when walk on the floor with bare feet.

• 5 months later...

Hello –

I am looking for a company or independent contractor to repair/replace water damaged parquet wood floors at my condo (see picture below).

I live in central Bangkok.

Thanks for any suggestions and/or sharing your experience.

1634225274100 - Copy.jpg

Edited just now by Bubbha