Finally! A Proper Hairstylist In Pattaya....

Pdaz

Was on my way to the Outlet Mall this morning and saw a big sign saying 'Bruce Alan International Salon - Now Open' Was intrigued but cautious because I've been having poor haircuts in Pattaya for ten years now. Irrespective of price it is very hard to get a well executed, properly styled haircut here.. I don't mean a crop or just having the ends trimmed but a proper job.

Anyhow went in with my girlfriend and was very pleasantly suprised. Nice setup and friendly staff..

Only just been set up and not officially open for a week or so.. Boss is an American called Bruce Allen and he's been in the industry a long time.. Prices are competative with BKK (don't bother if you want a 100 baht 'short back and sides' ) and to my mind worth every penny.. Can see him being very busy in the near future... My girlfriend is still smiling and getting a trendy short style has made her week..and my hair is the neatest it has been since I left Singapore..

All I can say is good luck to Bruce and hope he gets plenty of support..

Oh forgot to mention it's located next to Bruno's and Gian's restaurant and before Chateau dale as you go down the hill towards Jomptien..

Edited by Pdaz

Thanks for the info Pdaz - I also had 3 years with bad haircuts here - and it dosnt matter if its done by a girl or a katoey, most salons are really dirty or really bad. In the Royal Garden salon where they have high prices, the hair of 40 people are lying in piles on the floor and their razors/tools are really dirty.

So I will definately go visit Bruce Alan

Thanks for the info Pdaz - I also had 3 years with bad haircuts here - and it dosnt matter if its done by a girl or a katoey, most salons are really dirty or really bad. In the Royal Garden salon where they have high prices, the hair of 40 people are lying in piles on the floor and their razors/tools are really dirty.

And you really think this will be different? :o

And you really think this will be different? :D

It is ... very different from the usual khatoey or untrained woman who has no idea of western styles.. And only has the basic ability to cut hair shorter but not cut a style.. Just the same way that a time served tradesman in UK/US is totally different from the average Thai 'handyman'

Best way is to go check it out yourself.. unless you are one of the 'shave me heed meself' brigade ? :o

And you really think this will be different? :D

It is ... very different from the usual khatoey or untrained woman who has no idea of western styles.. And only has the basic ability to cut hair shorter but not cut a style.. Just the same way that a time served tradesman in UK/US is totally different from the average Thai 'handyman'

Best way is to go check it out yourself.. unless you are one of the 'shave me heed meself' brigade ? :D

Well indeed I am one of those.Almost no hair left has also it's positive side. :o

But as you say in your last post "Just the same way that a time served tradesman in UK/US is totally different from the average Thai 'handyman'".Which one of the 2 will work in these thai branches you think?

I think it will be the thai handyman with the uniform from a professional.

Was on my way to the Outlet Mall this morning and saw a big sign saying 'Bruce Alan International Salon - Now Open' Was intrigued but cautious because I've been having poor haircuts in Pattaya for ten years now. Irrespective of price it is very hard to get a well executed, properly styled haircut here.. I don't mean a crop or just having the ends trimmed but a proper job.

Anyhow went in with my girlfriend and was very pleasantly suprised. Nice setup and friendly staff..

Only just been set up and not officially open for a week or so.. Boss is an American called Bruce Allen and he's been in the industry a long time.. Prices are competative with BKK (don't bother if you want a 100 baht 'short back and sides' ) and to my mind worth every penny.. Can see him being very busy in the near future... My girlfriend is still smiling and getting a trendy short style has made her week..and my hair is the neatest it has been since I left Singapore..

All I can say is good luck to Bruce and hope he gets plenty of support..

Oh forgot to mention it's located next to Bruno's and Gian's restaurant and before Chateau dale as you go down the hill towards Jomptien..

I disagree that Thai salons are all bad. Have you tried L'Oreal in Carrefour for example.

If I wanted my Asian girlfriend to get a cut and style I would rather have a Thai cut it than a Westerner. They know more about Asian hair and styles than any Western hairstylists. There are some amazingly talented Thai hairstylists. It's more about choosing the stylist than the salon.

I've had plenty of bad haircuts by Westeners back home too.

to my mind worth every penny..

To my mind, not. Nobody, but nobody, cares what a farang's hair looks like in Thailand. You'll find that your fancy 'doo makes no difference in anything except in your imagination. Best to get a 60-80 baht job at one of the Soi Buakeow shops and have extra money for wimmens & booze.

There's only 2 weeks between a bad and a good haircut anyway! :o:D

LOL. A guy messed up my girl's hair 3 years ago and the damage has just grown out. Be careful when the hair is over 2 feet in length.

to my mind worth every penny..

To my mind, not. Nobody, but nobody, cares what a farang's hair looks like in Thailand. You'll find that your fancy 'doo makes no difference in anything except in your imagination. Best to get a 60-80 baht job at one of the Soi Buakeow shops and have extra money for wimmens & booze.

Probably largely true for the men, but ..

Having a do that makes you feel you look sharp is about how you feel, not so much about others.

So lets keep this simple.

How much do they charge for the works for a men's cut: shampoo, cut, blow dry?

Is this one of those if you have to ask, you can't afford it things?

I also have had mostly bad cuts in Thailand. I've tried both cheap and mid-range places and the cheap places are actually a little better!

Edited by Jingthing

A man named Bruce running a beauty salon, how appropriate. I will give it a shot anyway.

Well I guess it's just a personal thing..

If you are happy/satisfied with a 70 - 100 baht barber style cut that's fine.. Same goes for the slightly more expensive 'salon' cut available at a the place in Carrefour ( used to go there but not consistant ) or Royal Garden etc that's fine too.. But what my post was aimed at were people who weren't satisfied and wanted something better.. After 10 years here I've tried dozens of different hair places in Pattaya and have never had what I consider a good cut. My point was that this is a new place run by a proffesional farang who is there daily and training the staff to cut hair to the same standard as you'd find in the US/UK etc.. If you like good quality you won't be disapointed.

Satisfaction is more important to me than price.. Feeling shitty cos I got a dud haircut just to save a few hundred baht isn't my style ( no pun :o )

A man named Bruce running a beauty salon, how appropriate. I will give it a shot anyway.

Yeah, I know what you mean. All men named Bruce are total fruits and God forbid to have a homosexual clipping your nose hairs or something creepy like that!

post-37101-1225637034_thumb.jpg

Bruce Willis says hiya handsome!

Edited by Jingthing

Well I guess it's just a personal thing..

If you are happy/satisfied with a 70 - 100 baht barber style cut that's fine.. Same goes for the slightly more expensive 'salon' cut available at a the place in Carrefour ( used to go there but not consistant ) or Royal Garden etc that's fine too.. But what my post was aimed at were people who weren't satisfied and wanted something better.. After 10 years here I've tried dozens of different hair places in Pattaya and have never had what I consider a good cut. My point was that this is a new place run by a proffesional farang who is there daily and training the staff to cut hair to the same standard as you'd find in the US/UK etc.. If you like good quality you won't be disapointed.

Satisfaction is more important to me than price.. Feeling shitty cos I got a dud haircut just to save a few hundred baht isn't my style ( no pun :o )

I am open to trying it.

So what is the price? Are you afraid we are going to have a coronary to hear the price?

Or perhaps they charge by the hair like those seafood places charge by the gram?

Edited by Jingthing

No .. don't think the price is an issue cos more than satisfied and cheaper than I have paid in BKK etc.. Prices ranged from 500 - 1000 baht depending on stylist.. That was for wash, cut and dry..

Guess to guys who pay the local khatoey 70 baht it sounds expensive.. But to fellas with hair who have visited decent salons/stylist anywhere in the World (inc BKK) it's very good value..

Cue the 'never paid more than 50 baht/10 bob for a haircut brigade :o

Anyway no need for me to promote the place as they will do well from word of mouth..

Just wanted to pass on the info to others who are looking for another (better) option..

So there's only one "farang" hairdresser. Does this mean that when he is busy with another client you either have to wait for him, or have it cut by a Thai at an extortionate price?

Well, guess you could make an appointment .. That's normal if you want a partcular stylist pretty much everywhere else in the World.. Or you just walk in and take your chance..

Extortionate ? 555 So as far as you are concerned Thai's should only receive a set price for their services regardless of training, qualifications or experience ? .. Think you'd better stick to your usual 70 baht khatoey cut ... then back to drinking Leo in front of 7/11 :o

One thing that quickly became pretty apparent in Thailand is that there's usually no relation between what you pay for a haircut and the quality of the cut. I've tried the more expensive shops and come out with very bad cuts -- results really no different from what I've got in cheapie village shops. The approach I eventually took was to stick with one barber (in my village) and between my GF and I explain how I want my hair cut. I put up with a few so-so cut for the first while, but now he knows what to do, takes his time, and I get a nice cut for the very low price of 60 baht. OF course, to show my appreciation for his good work (and putting up with the GF and I) I always give him a good tip. I realize that I have been lucky and not all Thai barbers can or are willing to cut foreigner's hair. As a matter of fact, his partner in the shop only does the standard short-buzzed Thai style cuts.

So, if this new foreign barber doesn't work out, you might try the "training" approach mentioned above.

One thing that quickly became pretty apparent in Thailand is that there's usually no relation between what you pay for a haircut and the quality of the cut. I've tried the more expensive shops and come out with very bad cuts -- results really no different from what I've got in cheapie village shops. The approach I eventually took was to stick with one barber (in my village) and between my GF and I explain how I want my hair cut. I put up with a few so-so cut for the first while, but now he knows what to do, takes his time, and I get a nice cut for the very low price of 60 baht. OF course, to show my appreciation for his good work (and putting up with the GF and I) I always give him a good tip. I realize that I have been lucky and not all Thai barbers can or are willing to cut foreigner's hair. As a matter of fact, his partner in the shop only does the standard short-buzzed Thai style cuts.

So, if this new foreign barber doesn't work out, you might try the "training" approach mentioned above.

That's very true.. In Western countries higher cost usually equals higher quality.. Here it generally just means you paid more for the same quality :o

I've been visiting the same hairdresser for over a year (a BKK run franchise) and they have been pretty good.. I've tried the 'training' approach and used the same guy for several Months.. My Thai is good enough to expain exactly what I want but as you know many things here run 'hot and cold' sometimes I'd get a reasonable job. three weeks later the guy would just chop away cos his mind was elsewhere.. I gave up and swapped stylist.. The next one ( a girl ) took more time but it was easy to see she hadn't had any formal training.. Short techinical styles are just beyond most Thais in Pattaya.. They are fine for trimming 1/2inch off the length of long straight hair but anyhting else is outside of their experience.. Of course the other problem famous here is that one you have 'trained' up your stylist to you liking they go missing and find a job elsewhere... Guess this isn't such a problem in a village setting but here in Pattaya the turnover of staff is huge... I've had much better results in BKK but only in top line francise places like Toni & Guy.. Even they aren't that consistant so getting a greatcut first time as a walk in is a bit of a poker game....

No .. don't think the price is an issue cos more than satisfied and cheaper than I have paid in BKK etc.. Prices ranged from 500 - 1000 baht depending on stylist.. That was for wash, cut and dry..

are you too shy to tell us that these prices include a blowjob? :o

500-1,000 baht for a haircut seems to be an outrageous amount here in Thailand. For the last 12 years I have been going to BKK to get my hair cut as I too have found most of the salons in Pattaya to be poor, I go to Sukhumvit Soi 23, 150 Baht wash and cut, the price has never changed in all that time, I also give 50 Baht 'tip'. In and out within 45 mins.

are you too shy to tell us that these prices include a blowjob? :o

I said no to the blowjob as the stylist in question is a bloke ( I only like females ) However if guys are more to your taste more power to you... :D Don't forget to leave a tip for the 'happy ending'

Edited by Pdaz

500-1,000 baht for a haircut seems to be an outrageous amount here in Thailand. For the last 12 years I have been going to BKK to get my hair cut as I too have found most of the salons in Pattaya to be poor, I go to Sukhumvit Soi 23, 150 Baht wash and cut, the price has never changed in all that time, I also give 50 Baht 'tip'. In and out within 45 mins.

''You pays your money'' as the saying goes.. All depends on your preferance.. to me 1000 baht on a great haircut is money well spent.. Same as paying 1000 baht for a decent meal when 30 baht at a street side stall would be just as filling.. It's personal choice.. To me 10p would be too much to spend on a Premier League football game ( I hate football ) whereas another guy may happily part with 200 quid for a ticket...

Again.. The original post wasn't about cost... It was about the fact that there is now somewhere decent to get a haircut if you are a fussy s*d like me... and like most things in life quality has it's price.. It's up to the individual to decide if A: They can afford it. and B: Does it represent good value..

Oh and BTW the guy did his training here Nicky Clarke and he deffo doesn't do 1000 baht cuts.. :o

Edited by Pdaz

Very similar to my strategy: I "train" my "barber" (is that the correct title, or is it like calling a flight attendant a stewardess???) and stick with him. Maybe I was lucky, but both when I lived in Bangkok and now when I live in Jomtien, I found a fellow who learned quickly and remembered how to cut my hair correctly. And, yes farang hair is cut differently than Asian hair -- just ask your Asian friends living in the west about it!