Are You Happy In Thailand ?

Maigo6

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave it almost five years (2004 to present)... no, I was not happy living in Thailand. I am now in the midst of resettling in Los Angeles and suspect I'll be happy here, once my wife rejoins me. She's the only reason I ever went to Thailand, and she's the only reason I'd ever return there.

As for why, I guess there's no better way to say it than that I could not acclimate. To the weather, literally, but also to the culture, language, etc. I felt that I was retreating into myself instead of thriving. I don't have any animosity towards Thai people or Thailand in general. There are parts of the USA where I'd probably feel just as out of place, but I was never forced by circumstance to live in those parts! :o

I reached what felt like a clear turning point this year, where I realized I had to choose a future path, because the status quo was wearing me down. <snip>

I feel much the same way. I have been here four years, living very comfortably in Bangkok and Jomtien, with a car and household help....really all the comforts ...but the climate and the language are two things I can not cope with and I also found myself "retreating into myself instead of thriving" as you say.

I still like much about Thailand and am very in love with my Thai partner. For now, my solution is to spend more time (and more often) away from Thailand at my home in the desert of Southern California. I revel in the quiet and dry weather there and the ease of daily living. This arrangement seems to work for me and I am fortunate to be able to do it as I feel I am getting the best of both worlds. My partner will be undertaking a MBA program in Los Angeles soon so we will be able to be together nearly 100% of the time. Spending an entire 12 months in Thailand without respite makes me crazy, and brings me to the edge of depression as well.

In my culture (American) we tend to complain less and instead do something about what is bothering us. Which is why I was delighted to leave the US four years ago when the Bush was re-elected. Now I feel more comfortable returning there.

These are well thought out posts and I hasten to add, I am not going to knock you in anyway.

I too felt some isolation in the early days. I found that living in comfort was what was isolating me.

Once my money started to tighten up and I moved from Bangkok to Krabi then to the wilds of Chalong Phuket my isolation eased.

I love my live in a little soi with what seems like a hundred families living within 10 meters of me. People nosing in on me, seeing what I am doing, chattering and gossiping, looking at what food the falang is eating or what clothes I have out on the porch drying.

Not for everyone, but it is worth a try. Maybe that big condo in the falang area is what is separating you from the loveliest people on earth!

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

grandpops

perhaps you missed where it said that language and humidity were his issues?

I live where I love to be, why would anyone choose otherwise?

Well, Congrats... khun Maigo6, for your wonderful living here in Thailand...

Others as well... Happy to know you all are doing pretty fine here. :o

For me, I am happy but never feel Thailand is like heaven... something are so frustrated...

I live in Bangkok now, it is also my hometown.... but I am keeping save my money to move to stay in Krabi.

By the way, why others sometimes call you Go6? What does this mean? And Maigo seems so japanese....

Maigo sounded like Maiko which mean girls in 20 of age, or girls are going to be adult...

or girls in the apprentice of being Geisha... (seen in Memoirs of Geisha, my fav movie)

So who are you then? :D

Nah...just joking... hope i do not ruin your happy thread here.../ cheers..

For me, I am happy but never feel Thailand is like heaven... something are so frustrated...

I live in Bangkok now, it is also my hometown.... but I am keeping save my money to move to stay in Krabi.

By the way, why others sometimes call you Go6? What does this mean? And Maigo seems so japanese....

Maigo sounded like Maiko which mean girls in 20 of age, or girls are going to be adult...

or girls in the apprentice of being Geisha... (seen in Memoirs of Geisha, my fav movie)

hmmmm I thought you were Thai!??????

Mai Go Hok = No Bullshit

Maigo6.

6 = hok

Midori Apple, I love you and hope that you can find it in your heart to love me too.

Edited by Maigo6

learn to speak some thai and you will know, Go6, is an abbreviation of gohok,(its a bit of wordplay), the number 6 in thai is hok, maigohok means one thing gohok means the opposite i will refrain from any further comment.

Mai Go Hok = No Bullshit

Maigo6.

6 = hok

Midori Apple, I love you and hope that you can find it in your heart to love me too.

ohhh.. I see... but you are really "Go Hok"

No good lei na... :D

jdinasia: I am Thai, but khun Maigo6 didn't limit for only foreigners to say something in this thread... So I... :D

Mai Go Hok = No Bullshit

Maigo6.

6 = hok

jdinasia: I am Thai, but khun Maigo6 didn't limit for only foreigners to say something in this thread... So I... :D

tuk thong jing jing. phom mai dai gohok.

a wisdom beyond your years, so sad to see such cynicism in one so young.

I was really happy for years in Thailand but that was mostly because of the nice lifestyle on the islands- cheap, good food, good weather, animals, nature, great nightlife, etc. The people are ok too but their values constantly clash with mine- I try but I have no respect for people who value "social smoothing" behaviors like lying to save face or avoiding confrontation or basically being double-sided. I also prefer people who are more introspective, intellectual, and creative. I grew up being militantly true to myself, honest, straightforward, and loyal, and I expect the same in my friends and lovers. So I will never last trying to build successful relationships here in Thailand, and I have seen there is no future here for me both in that aspect and career-wise. Thus I am headed back to the west! I have learned that it is best to try and be happy wherever you are in the world, and that means being happy with yourself, which I am.

I was really happy for years in Thailand but that was mostly because of the nice lifestyle on the islands- cheap, good food, good weather, animals, nature, great nightlife, etc. The people are ok too but their values constantly clash with mine- I try but I have no respect for people who value "social smoothing" behaviors like lying to save face or avoiding confrontation or basically being double-sided. I also prefer people who are more introspective, intellectual, and creative. I grew up being militantly true to myself, honest, straightforward, and loyal, and I expect the same in my friends and lovers. So I will never last trying to build successful relationships here in Thailand, and I have seen there is no future here for me both in that aspect and career-wise. Thus I am headed back to the west! I have learned that it is best to try and be happy wherever you are in the world, and that means being happy with yourself, which I am.

Hope you find happiness in your new home girlx. Must be difficult to leave after being here so long. I assume you have ben here a long time because of the number of posts you have.

I’m very happy here and don’t think of returning to the US.

Finish 3+ years with a multi-national in Thailand and wanted out of the large corporate grind but not ready to sit on the porch. I perhaps could have engineered a low cost life-style retirement but I like being engaged and busy. And to the comments of some feeling isolated or not involved hit home with me.

So I started my own business here and am happy to have an office to go to and a team to work with. I managed a team of around 25 Thais before, now I have a team of 4 Thais which might grow to 10 at the most. Of course the money is important but I like the idea of being involved – I have a community of expats with similar professional interested plus the Thai’s I work with both in my company and supporting functions like legal and accounting. I’m doing some teaching at a university here also. That and family and friends I feel my life is really full – in fact sometimes too much so. But that’s is what makes me happy; being busy and part of the world around me.

With my lovely Thai wife and a wonderful luuk-krung step-son we own a nice house in Bangkok, remodeling a nice office close to my house for the new business, we have a home upcountry and are buying land around that – maybe a guest house someday in the future. I love life in Bangkok and Thailand. I get along fine with the Thai’s – partly I think because I accept that they are different from me. It’s more entertaining and a source of great reflection on the nature of things than a frustration. And part because both in Thai and expat I choose carefully who I associate with - positive, interesting, fun people who themselves are happy with their lives. That’s my way anyway.

I do look forward to getting permanent residency at some point. I want to work much harder on my Thai to get beyond the basic conversational level I’m at.

Yes I’m very happy in Thailand and working hard to put down roots here for the long term.

Finish 3+ years with a multi-national in Thailand and wanted out of the large corporate grind but not ready to sit on the porch. I perhaps could have engineered a low cost life-style retirement but I like being engaged and busy. And to the comments of some feeling isolated or not involved hit home with me.

So I started my own business here and am happy to have an office to go to and a team to work with. I managed a team of around 25 Thais before, now I have a team of 4 Thais which might grow to 10 at the most. Of course the money is important but I like the idea of being involved – I have a community of expats with similar professional interested plus the Thai’s I work with both in my company and supporting functions like legal and accounting. I’m doing some teaching at a university here also. That and family and friends I feel my life is really full – in fact sometimes too much so. But that’s is what makes me happy; being busy and part of the world around me.

With my lovely Thai wife and a wonderful luuk-krung step-son we own a nice house in Bangkok, remodeling a nice office close to my house for the new business, we have a home upcountry and are buying land around that – maybe a guest house someday in the future. I love life in Bangkok and Thailand. I get along fine with the Thai’s – partly I think because I accept that they are different from me. It’s more entertaining and a source of great reflection on the nature of things than a frustration. And part because both in Thai and expat I choose carefully who I associate with - positive, interesting, fun people who themselves are happy with their lives. That’s my way anyway.

I do look forward to getting permanent residency at some point. I want to work much harder on my Thai to get beyond the basic conversational level I’m at.

Yes I’m very happy in Thailand and working hard to put down roots here for the long term.

Nice story and it is great that you figured out how to enjoy yourself. Too many rich and poor trudge through life without putting the energy into the determinng what really makes them happy.

Like yourself, I enjoy staying busy and this will be the challenge when I move to Thailand next month. I have enough money not to work and don't intend to for at least a couple of years. In my early 30s, I had enough hobbies to keep my busy and happy while living in Thailand. At 41, I assume it will more good times.

Odd how none of the male members ( pun intended ) are mentioning it's very likely that a large portion of why they love living here is because of Thai women , young, beautiful and trained well in the art of Gold-Digging.

I believe low cost prostitution is a factor , also.

Take that element away....

Be honest...Give the women their due .

Yeah, once I grew out of sex and booze LOS was boring to me. Now I love Korea because of all the electronics I can play with and turn off whenever. And when people do come to me, they speak correct English and have more diverse personalities.

But for those that have been more places and longer and prefer Thailand, more power to you. But I went from "farang dum" to "looks like Obama".

oh, and the Nivea products are advertised as "toners" not "whiteners". and it's the same thing.

Glad to see you love Korea so much that you still miss TV, despite all the ills of the place. Diverse personalities you say? Anyone I have known that has lived in the Seoul of Asia (haha) hated it.

I herd the reason why people hate Seoul is because they couldn’t get any action of Korean chicks.

They are definitely less easy but that's the way I like it. In that "department" in Thailand I got tired of being hit on with the same lines in the same order and over 80% of the girls I hooked up with (hey, that's not 100%!) asking for money (usually 10,000 baht) on their way out the door.

I could see a tourist that has only spent two weeks both places preferring LOS but a long term resident like me is ready four a four seasons atmosphere and everything else I've already mentioned in my recent posts and threads.

I gave it almost five years (2004 to present)... no, I was not happy living in Thailand. I am now in the midst of resettling in Los Angeles and suspect I'll be happy here, once my wife rejoins me. She's the only reason I ever went to Thailand, and she's the only reason I'd ever return there.

As for why, I guess there's no better way to say it than that I could not acclimate. To the weather, literally, but also to the culture, language, etc. I felt that I was retreating into myself instead of thriving. I don't have any animosity towards Thai people or Thailand in general. There are parts of the USA where I'd probably feel just as out of place, but I was never forced by circumstance to live in those parts! :o

I reached what felt like a clear turning point this year, where I realized I had to choose a future path, because the status quo was wearing me down. <snip>

I feel much the same way. I have been here four years, living very comfortably in Bangkok and Jomtien, with a car and household help....really all the comforts ...but the climate and the language are two things I can not cope with and I also found myself "retreating into myself instead of thriving" as you say.

I still like much about Thailand and am very in love with my Thai partner. For now, my solution is to spend more time (and more often) away from Thailand at my home in the desert of Southern California. I revel in the quiet and dry weather there and the ease of daily living. This arrangement seems to work for me and I am fortunate to be able to do it as I feel I am getting the best of both worlds. My partner will be undertaking a MBA program in Los Angeles soon so we will be able to be together nearly 100% of the time. Spending an entire 12 months in Thailand without respite makes me crazy, and brings me to the edge of depression as well.

In my culture (American) we tend to complain less and instead do something about what is bothering us. Which is why I was delighted to leave the US four years ago when the Bush was re-elected. Now I feel more comfortable returning there.

This says it very well about needing to write about things that I find injust. The " Just Go Homers " are just so simplistic in their approach . I think intellect has something to do with it . If I were a man , and had Thai women to help me out , it would be ..easier , but I don't and frankly it's been hel_l . Everyone is out to rip me off , and that includes westerners I've dealt with . And the Thai smile , while nice , often covers for 2 faces and just can't respect two faces

Mai Go Hok = No Bullshit

Maigo6.

6 = hok

tuk thong jing jing. phom mai dai gohok.

a wisdom beyond your years, so sad to see such cynicism in one so young.

Setting a bad example for me to keep posting off-topic, but what the hey...

Just that while we're giving Japanese lessons here, Midori, in Japanese apples are not considered green (neither are traffic lights). I'll let you do the research on that one and get back to us.

"S"

Setting a bad example for me to keep posting off-topic, but what the hey...

Just that while we're giving Japanese lessons here, Midori, in Japanese apples are not considered green (neither are traffic lights).

I'll let you do the research on that one and get back to us.

"S"

Are you going to make me unhappy in Thailand? Ka..khun Ijustwannateach? :o

Why to give me an assignment nia??, I just love to eat GrannySmith apple, that's all.

I have done a little research for Japanese apple, among about 8,000 varieties around the world.

Had a look in Larousse Gartronomique, I found at least 2 kinds of Japanese apple

• Fuji, is red colour developed from The Ralls Janet and The Red Delicious in 1930s
  • Mutsu, also known as "Crispin Apples", is yellowish-green apple crossed between Golden Delicious and Indo Varieties, sweet flavour and juicy, firm and creamy white flesh (sound delicious to me.. :D )

Though Japanese apples are not considered green, but there is a green one...which is originated in there na..

Well, if "S" is just wanna teach me.... :D ma lei, I'm happy to ..

Try HK Island. Works for me. Though you have to have the dosh.

Edited by Swanky

Maigo - if you know you aren't going to like the answer, don't ask the question... unless of course doing so feeds your fixation of whinging about anyone who takes a different view on Thailand to yourself.

Is that a direct order Sir ? :o:D

Get back in the Sand GH. :D

Thailand and all it's idiosyncracies makes me happy. It's a breath of fresh air compared to other places. Or Ok an emphysema express when the pollution hits you.

The surge of arriving, living it, experiencing it, but not here all the time so it is always refreshing. I love coming back and I love to leave as I said before, a love hate relationship.

Excellent advice. Many expats living in Thailand ought to use this advice. It shouldl make you much happier.

MAIGO6 ~ Great topic. Enjoyed reading most of the posts