Living In Bangkok

RoyJones

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alcoholic! no seriously... as far as cities go i think bangkok is kind of pathetic. besides gazillions of shopping malls and bar girls (if you are of that persuasion), bangkok doesn't have much to offer. the nightlife is all centered around drinking, and cultural events are rare. traffic is a nightmare. a lot of the expats here are losers.

i am still here for now because it's cheap, but i will be happy to eventually get back to a real city like NY, if i am going to stay in a city.

living outside of bangkok was a nice overall experience though. much better quality of life than i could get back home.

stay in the suburbs for the best of the city (supermarkets, schools, cultural and sports activities and events) and still experience the almost rural style of living in a small, detached from the city life, communities by the klong sides

Two lines? ok here goes

A frustratingly addictive place that brings out the best and worst in me. When I am not screaming my head off, I am laughing it off - mostly at the greed, generiousity, beauty, ugliness, kindness and thoughtlessness ,but funny thing about it, despite its obvious faults, it is home.

Two lines? ok here goes

A frustratingly addictive place that brings out the best and worst in me. When I am not screaming my head off, I am laughing it off - mostly at the greed, generiousity, beauty, ugliness, kindness and thoughtlessness ,but funny thing about it, despite its obvious faults, it is home.

Me too. I've lived in big cities all my life. I'm a city rat. Bangkok has all that and a bag of barbecue potato chips. Never bored here. I stay out of the bar areas except for once in awhile just to remind myself what a fantasy land this city is. I'm just glad I didn't discover this place when I was younger or I would have had a very short life.

hmm

im only here for schooling and i was born here but hmm its so annoying all the traffic and crazy people about when your trying to drive about and so many rude people here!! but i am never bored here all my good friends are here and many places to eat 7 11 just everywhere!! haha just wish there was not so many girl who love themselves so much buh if u dont like it get da hel_l out muahahaha!

BKK is pretty grey and dull. No, really.

As well, many expats here are of a different breed than in other Asian cities/countries where I have been expatriated. But I guess they are a byproduct of girls & booze.

hmm

im only here for schooling and i was born here but hmm its so annoying all the traffic and crazy people about when your trying to drive about and so many rude people here!! but i am never bored here all my good friends are here and many places to eat 7 11 just everywhere!! haha just wish there was not so many girl who love themselves so much buh if u dont like it get da hel_l out muahahaha!

Ok RJT, thanks for your creative input as usual. :o

As well, many expats here are of a different breed than in other Asian cities/countries where I have been expatriated. But I guess they are a byproduct of girls & booze.

You must be referring to the Singapore Expat. Heaven knows that that group of tea toddling, stand me up at a bar on Orchard Road with my latest Jamie Oliver haircut to impress the Chinese gals kind of guys, should be something we all aspire too.

Hot, Sweaty, stinky, loud, dangerous, sexy, fun, horrific, fun to visit but I wouldn't live there again. So many other places in Thailand that are pleasant and if you dont have to live there for work, DONT.

If you think it's bad now you should have seen the place ten and fifteen years ago. Less of the good things such as western supermarkets, restaurants, cinema's etc but lots more of the bad things such as working girls, bars and go-go's. Funny, I think it was better back then.

You must be referring to the Singapore Expat. Heaven knows that that group of tea toddling, stand me up at a bar on Orchard Road with my latest Jamie Oliver haircut to impress the Chinese gals kind of guys, should be something we all aspire too.

I like the way you see the bad in everything it reminds me of myself, i refer to this kind of haircut that my brother sports as a "Londonboy haircut".

To describe Bangkok in one sentence would be, its the only city other then my own where i get a tingle in my stomach when arriving at the airport and driving to my hotel.

hmm

Ok RJT, thanks for your creative input as usual. :D

:o

You think everyone's me. And i don't go to school. I hate school. I figured out who the OP is thou. Back from the dead, now he's learnt

a snap punch. :D

Edited by RakJungTorlae

I don't live in Bkk, however I stay there for days to week durations on many occasions per year.

The thing I find really frustrating is that in the "suburbs" you can't just go for a stroll down the street, you have to take transport even to go and buy a beer or ciggies from 7 even if its only 500 metres from your house, never any parking available in front of the shops, even for motorbikes on most occasions.

You find that unless you actually make a plan to go and do something, you end up stuck in your house all the time.