New American Restaurant In Chiang Mai

cnxmike

Great news for all Americans and friends of American food. Two days ago a new American restaurant opened. It's called the "Taste of Texas". Today I walked by and noticed, that all waiters were dressed like cowboys. So I suppose, they will serve authentic American food. :o

Location: At the Chiang Mai - Lamphoon Rd. opposite the Mae Ping police station. It replaced the restaurant Pizzamania.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now there's a hot location. :o

Good for me, we only live a couple of hundred metres away :D . I do just wonder how much real American expertise there is on the staff as the huge banner that's been across the main road for the last week proclaiming the Grand Opening reads "A TEST OF TAXES" if I remember rightly. Hope the food is better than the proof reading....

Great news for all Americans and friends of American food. Two days ago a new American restaurant opened. It's called the "Taste of Texas". Today I walked by and noticed, that all waiters were dressed like cowboys. So I suppose, they will serve authentic American food. :D

Location: At the Chiang Mai - Lamphoon Rd. opposite the Mae Ping police station. It replaced the restaurant Pizzamania.

So where are the Indians? And the Cowgirls!!! :o

Today I was there, just for a drink and to see the menu. Since I live in a walking distance, it would be nice to have a place, where one can a have decent meal and a few drinks without needing a car or bike.

But I have to correct my previous statement. The waiters are not dressed as cowboys but as sheriffs. I didn't see any Indians but 3 cowgirls, one looked quite cute.

A typical steak will set you back 300 B. including a baked potatoe and english cooked veggies.

Today I was there, just for a drink and to see the menu. Since I live in a walking distance, it would be nice to have a place, where one can a have decent meal and a few drinks without needing a car or bike.

But I have to correct my previous statement. The waiters are not dressed as cowboys but as sheriffs. I didn't see any Indians but 3 cowgirls, one looked quite cute.

A typical steak will set you back 300 B. including a baked potatoe and english cooked veggies.

Boiled vigourously until all trace of flavour/texture has been removed ? :D:o

Today I walked by and noticed, that all waiters were dressed like cowboys. So I suppose, they will serve authentic American food. :o

Usually it works the other way around. They dress the staff ( in this case cowboys or sheriffs) to hide the fact that it's Thai food trying to be something else. If I put on a sheriff's hat, it won't help me cook a steak! I'd rather they concentrate on the food instead of the kitsch.

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong in this case.

Ok, What is American food?

Oy vey, here we go again ...

Try this for an appetizer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_the_United_States

I would assume this place is trying to do Texas style food which is often associated with both Tex-Mex style of American/Mexican food and also steaks and meat BBQ, but probably a Texan can tell you more. Texas BBQ when done right is superb. That doesn't mean this place in CM is going to be authentic, but you asked.

Here is a good example of Texas BBQ, brisket is always my favorite!post-37101-1225731347_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

Thank you for the explenation of American food, But evertime someone ask's me What is American food I can't explain...

Having lived there for 40 odd years, Other than steak and potatoes, American food to me is, Italan, mexican, English, japanese, Korean, Chinease, You name the country....

Oh, yes hamburgers!

Great!, another food threaad....

Just cancell my subscribtion here.

Edited by highonthai

I don't agree with that at all. Those are ethnic and international cuisines widely available in the US. But there is also a distinctive cuisine that is unique to America, that is identifiably American. But many of these foods are indeed regional, for example Texas BBQ, New England clam chowder, Southern fried catfish with hush puppies, our new president's favorite pie, sweet potato pie I can assure you is not French, and probably thousands more, that are definitely American. Just because it is very complicated and difficult to pin down in a pat phrase (impossible actually) doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It exists big time.

Edited by Jingthing

you're not related to George Bush are you?

This for a start! :o

Cuisine of the Southern United States

Cuisine of the Southwestern United States

Christmas food in the United States

Cuisine of the Midwestern United States

Cuisine of the Northeastern United States

Americanized cuisine

North American cuisine

Cuisine of California and California Cuisine

New American cuisine

I knew some (insert adjective of choice) would ask "what is American food?" when I saw the title of this thread. I have long wondered why, no matter the context or intent, when the word "American" is used, there is always at least one somone to offer a smug, belittling, asinine comment.

I knew some (insert adjective of choice) would ask "what is American food?" when I saw the title of this thread. I have long wondered why, no matter the context or intent, when the word "American" is used, there is always at least one somone to offer a smug, belittling, asinine comment.

If the shoe fits, wear it. :o

Jealousy is an ugly thing. :o

A sandwich of yellow/orange sliced processed cheese, lettuce and sliced tomato with a "healthy" helping of fake mayo on white (wonder) bread. :o

Now, dat's Americain. :D

Funny, the last meal I ate on American soil was grilled rainbow trout(caught by me in the White river just below Cotter, Arkansas) with apple salsa, baked potato, fresh summer squash, and a mixed green salad, all ingredients grown on my son's land. Even had a nice Abeja (Washington State) Cabernet with it. Ya' see, drinking red wine with fish, seems fairly American to me.

A sandwich of yellow/orange sliced processed cheese, lettuce and sliced tomato with a "healthy" helping of fake mayo on white (wonder) bread. :o

Are you American? If so, what area are you from where this is common? I have never heard of a sandwhich like that. I am curious what region that comes from, or is it a figment of your imagination? Remove the cheese, add bacon, and then you have something I am familiar with.

They did invent the modern pizza as we know it. Which frankly is worthy of recognition, even if the snobs cant admit it.

Fiestada.jpg

And, um... beef jerkie. or was that the S.Africans?

BBQ ribs, now thats a good un.

As an englishman, with half french family, i can happily state its true, the French can do any food, better than anyone else. And the English, can do...erm.. beef and pies.

Maybe Creole is nice, never tried it. Do they have it here?

740px-CreoleFood.jpg

Edited by UKWEBPRO

BlinkyBill, there are indeed vast portions of the US that are plagued with those fast food restaurants. Sometimes but not always you have to go to the larger more sophisticated cities and their surroundings to get the really good stuff. The fast food crap is the part of American food that the world mostly knows so it understandable that so many people hold very ignorant views about the bigger picture there. The truth is the food is one of the very best things about America, right up there with the constitution. So many of the best cuisines are regional and as the US is so big, you could almost imagine the different US regional cuisines as separate nations of food. That is too complicated for most international people to bother to grasp, so they stick with their American food is McDonald's incorrect stereotypes.

Edited by Jingthing

Maple syrup, theres another one. Or is that Canadian?

All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Yanks ever done for us?
Edited by UKWEBPRO

Are you American? If so, what area are you from where this is common? I have never heard of a sandwhich like that. I am curious what region that comes from, or is it a figment of your imagination? Remove the cheese, add bacon, and then you have something I am familiar with.

Am I American, nah, I'm from NYC. Perhaps this type of sandwich may go back 1 or more generations. Don't they have Kraft or similar yellow or orange colored slice cheese in your dairy section. This was one of the standard poor people's sandwiches. The white bread might have been toasted as well.