New American Restaurant In Chiang Mai

cnxmike

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a good example of Texas BBQ, brisket is always my favorite!post-37101-1225731347_thumb.jpg

It would appear, from the photo, that the cook or some other unfortunate individual, has lost a vital part of his anatomy. :D

:D lol I was thinking the same, no wonder some geezers like to slurp that down. But hey, that would make a decent meal for the stray dogs in my soi.

... and yes some red wines are best served chilled and can be paired up with robust, fleshy type of fish. Quiz time: anyone knows which red wine? :o

Ok, What is American food?

A sandwich of yellow/orange sliced processed cheese, lettuce and sliced tomato with a "healthy" helping of fake mayo on white (wonder) bread. :o

Now, dat's Americain. :D

Are you American? If so, what area are you from where this is common? I have never heard of a sandwhich like that. I am curious what region that comes from, or is it a figment of your imagination? Remove the cheese, add bacon, and then you have something I am familiar with.

Am I American, nah, I'm from NYC. Perhaps this type of sandwich may go back 1 or more generations. Don't they have Kraft or similar yellow or orange colored slice cheese in your dairy section. This was one of the standard poor people's sandwiches. The white bread might have been toasted as well.

Yepper, it's called a 'grilled cheese' sandwich and it goes mighty good with a yummy bowl of Chili...... I'm sure you would have seen one if you ever hung out with the 'deadheads' while touring with the delightful Jerry Garcia.......oh yeah, and what other sandwich do you know looked like the Virgin Mary and fetched $28k (USD)?

A sandwich of yellow/orange sliced processed cheese, lettuce and sliced tomato with a "healthy" helping of fake mayo on white (wonder) bread. :o

Funny, the last meal I ate on American soil was grilled rainbow trout(caught by me in the White river just below Cotter, Arkansas) with apple salsa, baked potato, fresh summer squash, and a mixed green salad, all ingredients grown on my son's land. Even had a nice Abeja (Washington State) Cabernet with it. Ya' see, drinking red wine with fish, seems fairly American to me.

Yum yum...making my mouth water as I have had many of those freshwater rainbows cooked over an open Colorado camp fire. However my preference is the cutthroat....

post-46350-1225805989_thumb.jpg

Maybe the best, most memorable meal I ever ate...I cooked myself, at age 15, at an upper lake in Yosemite National Park, in California.

Got up at dawn, caught 2 medium rainbow trout in the lake in front of our base camp.

While they were still flipping, browned some butter.

We had a reflector oven in front of a campfire cooking up some gingerbread cake.

Threw the almost still alive trout into the pan (cleaned, of course)....2 minutes each side.....trout and gingerbread heaven breakfast.

I still remember the taste of this breakfast, to this day....amazing how a memorable meal sticks in your consciousness.....

Oh, to be on topic- this was in America.... :o

Clearly American food is diverse and exciting. I enjoy regional cuisines as well as fast food when the time is right. I'm also pretty excited about great ethnic food and the way it takes on some of the local flavors in the US. American Chinese, any Chinese person will tell you, isn't Chinese. But it sure ain't meatloaf and apple pie either - it's Chinese style. And same goes for Mexi-fresh which has that Californicated use of lots of salsa and black beans and roasted chiles and less use of fats - it tastes great and is often good for you too. Now it's not flavor of Oaxaca or DF on your tongue, but it's definitely Mexican food.

Same idea, I had a super gooey, greasy, garlicky, tasty Woody kabob for the first time last year and was surprised by the use of cheese and a couple other things in it. But Sir Woody explained that it's all due to the mixing of Aussies with Greeks, Slavs, and... who else am I forgetting ? The ethnic import becomes the food of the local people within a few years and a couple mutations. If the results weren't good, the stuff wouldn't keep selling.

You wanna see craaaazy regional American food ? Goto youtube n search for 'squirrel melts' or try this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlK0Xd4c2c

Sure thing. It doesn't matter whether you call a food like a San Francisco Mission District style burrito Mexican food or American food or Cal-Mex food ( a case could be made for any of those) but there is a an example of a distinctive regional specialty native to the USA, and dam_n delicious.

Edited by Jingthing

Threw the almost still alive trout into the pan (cleaned, or course)....2 minutes each side.....trout and gingerbread heaven breakfast.

I know you were 15, but still seems a bit cruel.

I know nothing to do with American foods.

Threw the almost still alive trout into the pan (cleaned, or course)....2 minutes each side.....trout and gingerbread heaven breakfast.

I know you were 15, but still seems a bit cruel.

I know nothing to do with American foods.

....and for my 1,000th post I have to say:

PETA sux when it comes to catching and eating fish!!!!

By the way as a kid and young adult we used to gig (think of a small pitchfork) frogs and cut their legs off whilst watching them jump around in the fryin pan....yummy!!!!

Are you American? If so, what area are you from where this is common? I have never heard of a sandwhich like that. I am curious what region that comes from, or is it a figment of your imagination? Remove the cheese, add bacon, and then you have something I am familiar with.

Am I American, nah, I'm from NYC. Perhaps this type of sandwich may go back 1 or more generations. Don't they have Kraft or similar yellow or orange colored slice cheese in your dairy section. This was one of the standard poor people's sandwiches. The white bread might have been toasted as well.

Yepper, it's called a 'grilled cheese' sandwich and it goes mighty good with a yummy bowl of Chili...... I'm sure you would have seen one if you ever hung out with the 'deadheads' while touring with the delightful Jerry Garcia.......oh yeah, and what other sandwich do you know looked like the Virgin Mary and fetched $28k (USD)?

He wasn't talking about any grilled cheese sandwhich I have ever seen. Letuce, tomato, and mayo, I don't think so! What he described is a sandwhich missing the main ingredient, some sort of lunch meat. Maybe he grew up around people who couldn't afford the meat because I have never seen that as a normal meal. I wouldn't think a cheeseburger without the beef would be all that appealing either, nor would it be representative of American food.

Grilled cheese sandwich? Sure, why not? That's kid's food, 1950's American food. Kraft cheese slices on soft white wonder bread fried in butter or margarine. No meat. No veg. Kids like it or they did in the 1950's. Often served with canned Campbell's tomato soup. So what? Most countries have plenty of examples of boring bland food that kids like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hellaoakland/2311580165/

Edited by Jingthing

Another news flash...I met a character named Dennis the other night at The Beautiful Blond Daphne's new guest house grand opening. He will soon open a new American style "Diner" downtown. More news as it comes in to my desk...

Another news flash...I met a character named Dennis the other night at The Beautiful Blond Daphne's new guest house grand opening. He will soon open a new American style "Diner" downtown. More news as it comes in to my desk...

that must be great new for Janssen's, it'll boast sales for their main product; imodium :o

LOL! spotted dick is fantastic, how dare you Sir! my second will call upon you!

Chicken Tikka Massala. Now there is a dish gone astray in the UK from India over the last 20 years - it was invented for delicate english tastebuds.., like i guess a lot of ethnic food in the US. I guess with hundreds of years of the US 'melting pot' you guys must have some unique tastes by now.

I think i may have to visit this restaurant!

Being from London, Sarge prefers chewing on a big spotted dick! :o

ain't from London, but I'm in London, big difference :D but hey what an idea, I think there is a market for this dessert in San Francisco, Ca. It'll def catch the attention of the populace. whaddaya think?

Being from London, Sarge prefers chewing on a big spotted dick! :o

ain't from London, but I'm in London, big difference :D but hey what an idea, I think there is a market for this dessert in San Francisco, Ca. It'll def catch the attention of the populace. whaddaya think?

I think they'd go for it as a one off, as many would tend to order it as a main meat course and would not be well satisfied.

Edited by Jingthing