Moving To Nong Khai, Info?

Skwint

My wife and I are 95% sure that we will be buying a bar in, and moving to Nong Khai in the near future.

No lectures please as we have both been in the trade for some years and are selling our bar on Koh Tao at the moment.

I understand that there is a Tesco Lotus in NK but, is there a Big C, or Carefour? Is there a Macro, if not where is the nearest?

What is the night life generally like in NK and is it spread out or in one area? We will not be opening a "girly" bar as I am bloody sick of the hassles involved, just a comfortable, pleasant place with a little in the way of pub food, ie breakfast, lunches and snacks, anyone like Cornish Pasties? and maybe free Wifi if I can get a decent connection at the Western side of town.

Also, is there a decent computer dealer, as in, somewhere I can buy components etc. or is Udon the closest place?

Any information would be of help.

Skwint :o

My wife and I are 95% sure that we will be buying a bar in, and moving to Nong Khai in the near future.

No lectures please as we have both been in the trade for some years and are selling our bar on Koh Tao at the moment.

I understand that there is a Tesco Lotus in NK but, is there a Big C, or Carefour? Is there a Macro, if not where is the nearest?

What is the night life generally like in NK and is it spread out or in one area? We will not be opening a "girly" bar as I am bloody sick of the hassles involved, just a comfortable, pleasant place with a little in the way of pub food, ie breakfast, lunches and snacks, anyone like Cornish Pasties? and maybe free Wifi if I can get a decent connection at the Western side of town.

Also, is there a decent computer dealer, as in, somewhere I can buy components etc. or is Udon the closest place?

No lecture,you may do what you think best.

Small Tesco,Big C and Makro in Udon.

Night life? In NongKhai?Think again.

A place for farang IS needed in NongKhai,we don't have many options,but forget the nightlife.Most of my friends live outside the town and go to bed early.

If you like to build your own system,not even Udon is good enough.

Tell when you are opening. :D

Thanks for that Abdulrahman,

Hopefully we will be able to provide local farangs with a little more choice in venue, and a few early nights would make a nice change for me.

Yes I do prefer to build my own systems, I suppose I will have to rely on Pantip Plaza and Fortune Towers in BKK when I need things.

Do you have any info on the favoured internet provider in the Nong Khai area? Here on "The Rock" I am limited to using DTAC GPRS EDGE with an older Nokia, it's less than ideal but at least I do have internet.

Thanks for that Abdulrahman,

Hopefully we will be able to provide local farangs with a little more choice in venue, and a few early nights would make a nice change for me.

Yes I do prefer to build my own systems, I suppose I will have to rely on Pantip Plaza and Fortune Towers in BKK when I need things.

Do you have any info on the favoured internet provider in the Nong Khai area? Here on "The Rock" I am limited to using DTAC GPRS EDGE with an older Nokia, it's less than ideal but at least I do have internet.

You probably can have ADSL in Nong Khai and its area, with TOT and/or TT&T. If you have the choice between both where you will stay, TT&T Maxnet is far better IMHO.

There is a few decent computer shops in Udon Thani and I don't speak about those in the Charoensri Complex, but for instance one which is on the corner of Thanon Phosri (Phosri Road) with the Soi Nong Bua, between AEK Udon Hospital and Makro but on the other side of the road. It's where I usually get the best prices in the area.

You probably can have ADSL in Nong Khai and its area, with TOT and/or TT&T. If you have the choice between both where you will stay, TT&T Maxnet is far better IMHO.

There is a few decent computer shops in Udon Thani and I don't speak about those in the Charoensri Complex, but for instance one which is on the corner of Thanon Phosri (Phosri Road) with the Soi Nong Bua, between AEK Udon Hospital and Makro but on the other side of the road. It's where I usually get the best prices in the area.

Yes in the NongKhai area TT&T is better.It was a little cheaper too,now,don't know.

The Shop in Soi Nong Bua is the best in Udon,IMHO too;but it's also limited,only in Bangkok you find real computer geeks. :o

Thanks guys,

I'm not a real Geek (I think), but I do like to build and upgrade my own, and sometimes my friends systems as quite often what comes as a brand name PC has inferior internal components or carries a much higher price tag than you really need to pay.

Good news about TT&T.

I reckon Nong Khai has huge potential, particularly with the new train to Laos. Anywhere near the riverfront market should work. Lots of farang visitors. The riverfront boardwalk is stunning now - great Thaksin-era infrastructure: quite a few Thai shop owners are reorienting their cafes and restaurants towards the river now.

Interesting... NK is well worth getting to know, in fact my wife comes from there and we plan to move from BK when we have both retired. Your place sounds pretty good from my Brit point of view. Let us know when you are open and good luck! As far as I am aware there is only a Tesco Lotus but it is pretty big.

Nice little city on the Mekong River("MOON River") be nice if you could open a McDonald or Burger King(Hmmmmm) anyway nice laid back town from what saw during my stay there for my many visit across the River to Laos for the old visa run. Tesco Lotus/KFC/Blue Moutain Coffee shop and many other little shops within the same complex just on the outskirt of town as you enter from the south(Udon). Udon which is about 50km south, also have many great places to shop and eat. Please checkout web: www.udonmap.com Have no doubt from my many visits there you and the wife will love living there. Best Wishes!!

To me, Nong Khia is a very nice small city/large town, the market along the river front has everything, food,gold,clothes,shoes,cameras,model fly by wire airplanes/helicopters,telescopes,silk,swords,knives,guns,kitchen things,cultery, almost anything you would need to live happily.

I agree, the waterfront between the river and market is very nice, resturant cruising boats or just a river trip for 500bht 1 hr, BUT, there are no litter bins!!! and of course, there is litter!!

I have viseted some falang run places and there are quite a few, some close down in the raininy season because lack of back-packers/tourists, Tesco have a big store there, but not very special compared to Udon in the way of falang food,

When i do my 90 day thing at NK immi, i always go to Nong Khai Direct near the friendship bridge, they do some really good imported stuff there, good steaks,sausages,cheeses,marmite,veggiemite, lots of good things i miss,

And the railway to Laos, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai%E2%80%93...iendship_Bridge if its now completed im not sure, as for posters who poo poo this are obviously not up to date as to what is happening around them,

So Mr Skwint, if you open in NK, pls make sure you post on here, i would love a cornish pastie,with or without meat,

Good luck on your venture, Lickey.

Skwint,

First: I don't like your moniker, or whatever it's called, with the cat going nuts with the assault weapon-- take it easy, dude.

Second: you and your wife aren't thinking of buying the old Nobbie's Place bar, are you?

No we're not thinking of buying Nobbie's old place, we're thinking about the small one that was a karaoke bar opposite the Thai Laos Riverside Hotel.

As for my moniker, each to their own. :o

Forgot to add: Nong Khai is a little more laid back than Koh Tao; not so much agro, so maybe you ought to think twice about moving here.

I have been on Koh Tao for a little over 2yrs and don't like the place, and didn't even when I was working as a diving instructor.

Laid back is what we are both looking for as we are about twice the age of most visitors to the island. :o