Vcr Recorders

Upcountry

Hello fellow expats,

So far, North of Bangkok, I've found only two VCR's , and both of them are DVD/VCR combos. One is, I believe, a Samsung that people have offered me via a catalog for about 9,990 Baht, the other is an LG (LG V-782W) for sale at Lotus for 8990 Baht.

I'm looking for recommendations or thoughts from anyone who might have one of these units. Is there something I should go to Bangkok to buy?

In need a unit that will do the following:

1. Play NTSC VHS tapes.

2. Play and record to "channel" AU - audio on VHS (which is better than classic reel-to-reel)

3. Support timed recording of any Thai cable channel.

Yeah, I know it's time to move to a hard drive recorder, but I have a few old tapes and VCR's are still cheaper. :o

Thanks.

Upcountry

Panasonic, Sony, Phillips and many others make a "Home Theatre" system, which includes a unit incorporating an AM/FM radio, Hi-Fi VHS player/recorder and DVD player. Includes 4-6 speakers (with woofer/amplifier) for "Surround Sound". Prices range $250-$400 (US). The VCR records from the radio, as well as TV.

Also of possible interest; the major Japaneese VHS-VCR manufacturers (Panasonic, Toshiba, Akai, etc.) use to make what they called an "International" or "World" unit, that operated on 110-220 volts, and would Play & Record all broadcast formats, such as NTSC, PAL, SECAM, etc.

Haven't seen them around lately, but suggest you inquire of these manufacturers direct. Or possibly a used machine may be found on eBay.

These versions were very popular a number of years back, especially with ex-pats in USA, who would record/copy movies, convert them from NTSC to PAL, and sent them to relatives in the home country.

Good hunting.

:o

Check for used equipment from TV repair shops as do not believe much new equipment is available - you are way behind the curve on this and remember any tape in the humidity here is not likely to hold up well.

I gave a Sharp stereo VCR away a few years ago as just got to tired of fixing it - drive belts only lasted a year or so and one thing after another wrong with it.

Most, if not all, of the supermarkets and electrical shops have stop selling vcrs - i guess because they want you to buy dvd/hdd recorders. But, isetan, the japanese department in the world trade centre, still sell them. You can get a number of different japanese brands, and most are multi-system (plays pal and ntsc) and do want you require.

• 1 month later...