Renewing 5 Year Driver License

Thaiboxer

Hi Folks,

Just came back from the transport dept. (Suwintawong Road near Chacheungsao) in eastern BKK. I went to renew my 5 year driver license, but was denied on the basis of not having my work permit with me or a letter of residence from the US Embassy. Have the rules changed? When I renewed my license from a 1 year temporary to the five year one in 2003, I didn't need any documents that I could remember; simply handed over the old license for the new one.

Knowing how government officers can be, has anybody else had this same experience, or is this the official nationwide rule nowadays? Also, are there any special things I would need other than a work permit or residency letter? Thanks :o

Hi Folks,

Just came back from the transport dept. (Suwintawong Road near Chacheungsao) in eastern BKK. I went to renew my 5 year driver license, but was denied on the basis of not having my work permit with me or a letter of residence from the US Embassy. Have the rules changed? When I renewed my license from a 1 year temporary to the five year one in 2003, I didn't need any documents that I could remember; simply handed over the old license for the new one.

Knowing how government officers can be, has anybody else had this same experience, or is this the official nationwide rule nowadays? Also, are there any special things I would need other than a work permit or residency letter? Thanks :o

Hi, for your information, this morning, in Chiangmai, I renew my 1 year driving license to 5 years. I needed :

- Work permit (or certificate of residence if you dont have)

- Passport with visa (non immigrant B for me)

- Medical certificate (45 mn in waiting room / 45 s with the doctor)

- 605 bht (for 5 years)

- expired driving licence

- NO PICTURE (digital picture taken on site)

That's it. Hope this helps.

I suppose the process from 5 years to 5 years should be the same. The new driving license look same a credit card, with a picture, and colorful.

Philippe

Yes you need 'certificate of residence'

I always get mine free while I wait from the Town Hall, [for me don't go between 12 - 14:00 as the Junta maybe out to Lunch and only he/her can stamp with the big red seal]

Used the same type letter to buy and sell my cars, as well as the Driving license renewals