Adsl Installation......

VTSVIEW

Hi Guys!

Newbie in Pattaya and in need of some help here.

We recently arranged to have ADSL installed in our new condo and we were charged a fee of THB 5000 for "Pass PABX Box" from Condo management.

Does anybody know what this is? We were led to believe that the building we bought into was wired for internet access.

Thanks for the help!.

Edited by VTSVIEW

To get your own ADSL in your condo you need a direct line to the outside world.

In most condo's you are wired into a PABX, which is basically (nowadays) a computerized telephone exchange.

Which means you get charged a premium to the condo every time you make an outside call.

For the ADSL you need to bypass the PABX, hence the condo looses the income they got from your calls. And that is the reason they charge a one time fee for bypassing their PABX.

I do find 5,000 Baht a bit steep though, most condo's charge between 1000 and 2000 Baht.

I think they make extra money. We stay in a condo complex, we have a dedicated line into the condo. There is no PABX system in the condo, but they wanted to charge also 5,000 Bht for applying a phone line. We did it on our own at TT&T.

After some discussion we just had to pay 800 Bht for connecting our room to the switchbox where the outside line arrives.

In some areas it is still almost impossible to get a new number, as "all numbers are taken". Be reminded, we are in 2008! Amazing.

To get your own ADSL in your condo you need a direct line to the outside world.

In most condo's you are wired into a PABX, which is basically (nowadays) a computerized telephone exchange.

Which means you get charged a premium to the condo every time you make an outside call.

For the ADSL you need to bypass the PABX, hence the condo looses the income they got from your calls. And that is the reason they charge a one time fee for bypassing their PABX.

I do find 5,000 Baht a bit steep though, most condo's charge between 1000 and 2000 Baht.

25,000 Baht when I had a 'phone installed in my condo 10 years ago (and the exchange rate then was $1-25 Baht) :o